Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Project Deimos: An LS Coupe Build -- The Coupe has landed!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Project Deimos: An LS Coupe Build -- The Coupe has landed!

Hello Factory Five Community and thanks for taking a look at my build thread!

In February I finally clicked the “Submit” sale button on the website after a few years of hovering over it. The Spring Sale and promised summer price hike was the final push. I also got free powder coating as one of the first 10 kit purchases of the sale. April 28th was my completion date. I’ll be making the 28 hour round-trip to Wareham the week before Memorial Day to see the factory and pick up my kit. Maybe I'll get to meet Dave Smith. I can’t believe how close the day has become!

I’m a physician with the Veterans Affairs Northern Indiana Healthcare System. I’m no mechanic. I do basic auto maintenance –oil changes, brake jobs, etc –but that’s about the extent of my wrenching experience.

Some will say I’m not qualified to do this. That’s fair, but I’ve lived by the idea that anything is achievable with enough tenacity and it’s gotten me pretty far. I am a pretty advanced DIY’er, enjoy researching and planning projects, and learning new skills.

That said, I realized this is a whole different ballgame. If it wasn’t for this forum, with the knowledge and support it provides, I probably wouldn’t have the confidence to try this. So thank you to those who have documented their builds and continue to give their wisdom.

My leisure reading material the past few years

Fun fact:
    I’ve still never seen a Coupe/Daytona in person and didn’t even know Factory Five made it until 2 years ago.

I’ve always been a big car guy. When I was a kid, my Dad bought a project 68’ Mustang fastback from Arizona, sight-unseen, assuming desert cars don’t rust. Well, that one was the exception to the rule. The day it was delivered, my Dad drove me around the neighborhood once –the blacktop visible through the floorboards—and barely made it back to the garage on less than 8 cylinders. Over the next years, I fondly remember the time working with my Dad in the garage - the welding, the cutting and grinding, the body filler and sanding. Unfortunately, we got stuck on a few aspects of the restoration and my Dad lost heart and ended up selling it unfinished. I’ve pined over that car ever since and dreamed of doing my own restoration one day with my kids.

Fast forward 25 years and I’m finally in a place where I have the time (kinda) and resources to pursue this hobby. While I’d love to tackle a 60’s Mustang, being a novice, I think all new parts sounds like a better starting point.

I have two young boys, 3 and 6, who are also obsessed with cars and love to help Daddy with projects. This will be a unique and memorable bonding opportunity, like I had with my Dad.

Last edited by JimStone; 05-27-2024 at 02:14 PM.