Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  210
Likes Likes:  305
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: JB in NOVA's MK4 build : First overnight road trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, JB, just caught up to your unfortunate adventure just now. Great that you were able to push through the setback within days of the event, and that it wasn't as the worst of the possible causes. Congrats on a prompt recovery, and thanks for sharing on the forum.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

2. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The clutch is fixed and I’m back on the road! The repair itself was trivial – McLeod sent a new braided steel hose, which I swapped for the damaged one in about 5 minutes. Re-installing the transmission was a different story. I will share what I learned in case some future newbie like me has to go through this same process.

I knew the hard part would be getting the splined transmission input shaft to mate up to the engine output shaft. Based on a tutorial I watched, I fashioned some guide studs by cutting the caps off four 7/16 hex bolts and slotting them so they could be removed with screwdriver:

I installed these in the four bolt holes on the bell housing:

Then I spent the next hour trying the wrestle the transmission into position so that it could slide onto the four studs. I kept getting close but no cigar. Finally, I realized I needed to adjust the angle of the bell housing a tiny bit to allow everything to align properly. I used my floor jack and a piece of plywood for that:

Once I did that, I was able to slide the transmission onto the four studs. From there, it took just a few small adjustments until the transmission suddenly slid into the engine literally with the push of a finger! When everything aligns, the splined input shaft slips into the engine like butter!

After that, I removed the slotted studs one at a time and replaced them with the transmission bolts. I found that the upper driver’s side stud was very difficult to remove because there isn’t much room to get a screwdriver up there. In retrospect, it probably would have been better just to use three guide studs, leaving that one open. Anyway, I finally got all four bolts in and tightened.

Then it was just a matter of replacing the A-frame, re-installing the drive shaft, re-verifying the drive angles, replacing the shifter cover (using a new bead of Right Stuff), refilling the transmission with fluid, and filling and bleeding the clutch lines. Once that was all complete, I was happy to find that my transmission works fine, and the car drives just as it did before. For now, I’ve got the clutch lines zip tied to prevent them from migrating back into the bell housing. But I’m going to order a small double cable separator to make the fix more permanent.

I must say, this was a real “learning experience,” but it’s done! Progress continues . . .
    Last edited by JB in NOVA; 04-29-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

4. Thanks NYMike thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great news JB, glad everything worked out.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

6. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats JB! Glad you're back up and running. Thanks for all of the great info.
    MK4 Complete Kit, EFI 427W/TKO 600, 2015 IRS
    Ordered: 11/6/20, Kit Completion: 2/13/21, Picked Up: 2/16/21, Build Started: 2/19/21, First Start: 6/13/21, Go Kart: 8/15/21, Sent for Paint: 12/23/21, Back From Paint: 6/16/22, Street Legal: 7/11/22

8. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good news. Glad it worked out.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

10. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go JB, glad your back up and running. Very nice write up and even more Kudos to you for doing it on jack stands by yourself, job well done!

Time to get out and put some miles on!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

12. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m back to putting miles on the Roadster and shaking out bugs. Over 100 miles now, and no more clutch problems . This car is so fun to drive! Now that my clutch drama is over, I'll backfill this thread with some of the other things I’ve done in the past several weeks.

I installed the front overriders. As recommended, I trimmed about ¼ inch of the lower spacer tubes so that the overriders match the angle of the radiator opening:

Still waiting for rubber grommets from Finish Line (along with several other things I ordered more than 6 weeks ago! Not sure what's going on with them).

I installed the rear bumper. I pretty much followed Mr. Kleiner’s method as explained in this thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...th-coupler-mod . I ordered 12-inch all-threads from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and cut them down to 7 inches, which worked well. The only thing I did differently than Mr. Kleiner is I inserted short spacers (one of the FFR short spacers cut in half) between the bumper and the overrider so that they do not contact each other. You can see the separation here:

I installed sideview peep mirrors. First I purchased a pair of 4” flat mirrors from Speedway (https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unive...4-In,3811.html). Then I replaced the passenger’s side with a convex version, which I purchased from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). These appear to be from the same supplier. Not sure why Speedway doesn’t carry the convex version, but I like it better than the flat version on the PS. With about 50 miles under my belt, I can say these peepers work “okay.” They are outside the wind wings, which isn’t ideal. But, so far, they seem to be fairly functional. I’ll keep them on for now and decide later if I want to upgrade to the Breeze mirrors.

Finally, I got the steering wheel placement zeroed in relative to the RT turn signal. It took a few taps of a hammer on a flat plate against the steering shaft to get the spacing where I wanted it. I also loosened and readjusted the RT turn signal, which seems to have fixed my self-canceling issues. Now everything works perfectly.

I think she’s just about ready for paint. Now, if I could only decide on a color . . .
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

14. Likes 460.465USMC, Fman, jrcuz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you get tired of waiting for your grommets try these guys. Fast turnaround.

0CD81758-95A3-4EEA-8CD8-E5967EDF9CEE.jpeg
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

16. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Color really is the toughest part. Have you narrowed it down any?
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21, Graduated 7/20/22 - Sold 6/6/24
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered

MK4 - Ordered 6/5/24

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    Color really is the toughest part. Have you narrowed it down any?
    I've been all over the color map (literally from blue to red to black to silver/gray, back to blue). But I keep coming back to this light blue with white stripes:

Problem is, as best I can tell, it isn't quite Viking Blue, and it isn't Guardsman or any of the other classic Cobra colors. Anyone have a paint code for this beauty?

19. Likes 2FAST4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sure is an awesome blue! that looks amazing...

One thing JB, did you get your ride height set and car aligned yet? If you are going to be driving it and putting more miles on it might want to consider alignment sooner than later. I thought my string alignment was within specs until I had it professionally aligned which revealed how far off it was. Car drives so much better now and they also centered my steering wheel.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

21. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB in NOVA View Post
    I've been all over the color map (literally from blue to red to black to silver/gray, back to blue). But I keep coming back to this light blue with white stripes:

Problem is, as best I can tell, it isn't quite Viking Blue, and it isn't Guardsman or any of the other classic Cobra colors. Anyone have a paint code for this beauty?
    I will have to find this picture to show Jeff K. Hopefully I will be making a trip to his shop this month.
    Any knowledge of the color name is appreciated.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks very similar to Mercedes indigolite blue metallic. I had a girlfriend that had a car in that color.

https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...w=1920&bih=937
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m now just a week or two away from sending the Roadster off for prep and paint, so I’m trying to button up a few more projects before it goes. First, I roughed in a trunk patch (Blackwater Customs), which I plan to secure with screws after painting. I installed a courtesy light on the panel, wired through a tilt sensor so that it comes on when the trunk is open and goes off when the trunk is closed. It works really well and was easy to install:

I got the light from Summit (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/GTE-G6151) and the tilt switch from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073HNMCMN). I mounted the tilt switch on the forward part of the trunk patch (which is horizontal when the trunk is closed) and wired it as a ground interrupt. Works like a charm!

Another thing I did is line the entire tunnel (both above and underneath) with thermal insulation:

This really cuts down the amount of heat transmitted through the tunnel aluminum. I noticed the difference right away once I installed it. With the insulation installed, it only gets slightly warm to the touch even after vigorous driving, as opposed to ACTUALLY HOT without the insulation.

Finally, I installed most (but not all) of the carpeting. I used black silicone adhesive to glue it down. As many have suggested, I had a local upholstery shop sew a heel pad into the DS inside footbox carpet to avoid wear from the accelerator pedal. I plan to use floor mats to protect the floor sections (if I ever receive them from Finish Line).

I also had cloth edging sewn onto some of the carpet edges, including those mating up with the tunnel, as shown above (I plan to finish the entire tunnel in leather) and along the edges near the door sills (I haven’t installed those yet).

Just a few more items left before she makes the voyage down to Georgia for painting. I can't wait!

25. Thanks 460.465USMC thanked for this post
    Likes jrcuz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work JB. I bought a couple of the heel pads and plan to put 1 where you have yours. I've read on the forums that they can be glued on. Something tells me I should have had it sewed on. I'll see how gluing works.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    #9822 is off to Spotlight Customs for prep and paint!

The garage seems so empty all of the sudden . . .

28. Thanks BadAsp427 thanked for this post
    Likes RJD, BadAsp427, 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good. We're waiting for you. (Mine is the ugly one)

0E37F8BF-8204-4546-A52D-56ECEE3E078D.jpeg
    Last edited by RJD; 05-16-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

30. Likes JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So cool! Cant wait to see it all finished up...going to be sweet!

What time frame are you looking at before you get it back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    So cool! Cant wait to see it all finished up...going to be sweet!

What time frame are you looking at before you get it back?
    Thanks! Can't speak for Mike at Spotlight, but I'm hoping to have it back by the end of July. He seems to have an efficient process going on down there.

33. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great news JB, you'll still have plenty of good weather for cruising.
    JR

35. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats JB! Can't wait to see the end result!
    MK4 Complete Kit, EFI 427W/TKO 600, 2015 IRS
    Ordered: 11/6/20, Kit Completion: 2/13/21, Picked Up: 2/16/21, Build Started: 2/19/21, First Start: 6/13/21, Go Kart: 8/15/21, Sent for Paint: 12/23/21, Back From Paint: 6/16/22, Street Legal: 7/11/22

37. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, JB. Look forward to seeing the finished product. We'll have to connect on who you used for transport.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

39. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAHokie View Post
    We'll have to connect on who you used for transport.
    PM sent. I've got a good recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like

I recall this one when I was considering paint and it’s tough to tell what with the lighting and the fact one is viewing not in person but that is extremely close to Viking Blue. Now saying that it could be slightly different as again can’t see it in person. I do recall on Club Cobra if I recall correctly that someone thought it was a custom mix but then many thought it was Princess, aka Viking.

Mine in Viking
    3875BDA5-0D46-4A9C-97F3-4533FC972806.jpg

Different light
    35F0875D-BB09-4285-8C67-F5E7CA63401E.jpg

Different angle and light
    97EB1687-F09D-4D8E-8C40-3BD2B86CFB57.jpg
    Last edited by KDubU; 05-18-2021 at 06:48 AM.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

42. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did this one in Brittany Blue last year. Kinda' similar...

Jeff

hechler18.jpg

44. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    #9822 is off to Spotlight Customs for prep and paint!

The garage seems so empty all of the sudden . . .
    Congrats, JB! Really appreciate all of your documentation.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

46. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    James, It was so cool to meet you in person. Sorry I did not spend very long visiting. Here is a photo of your build being dropped off at Mike's shop at Spotlight Custom Cars. Can't wait to see it when it is all done... The florescent green you picked is going to look fantastic...

IMG_2556.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

48. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Likes RJD, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    ...The florescent green you picked is going to look fantastic...

IMG_2556.jpg
    Agreed! Fluorescent green is an excellent choice.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, ya'all are talking about fluorescent green like it's a bad thing. This is actually one of my favorites!

Be brave! Do something different from the usual red, blue, silver or gray...

Jeff

Gregg's green.jpg

51. Likes JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Man, ya'all are talking about fluorescent green like it's a bad thing. This is actually one of my favorites!

Jeff

Gregg's green.jpg
    That is pretty sexy
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21, Graduated 7/20/22 - Sold 6/6/24
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered

MK4 - Ordered 6/5/24

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff

Gregg's green.jpg
    I like it.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was away for the past few weeks on business, but Mike at Spotlight has regularly been sending me pictures of his progress on the project. Now that I’m home again, I figured I’d post a couple pics. Here’s the car during the bodywork/fitment stage a couple weeks ago:

And now ready for primer:

Interesting to see it with the hood scoop cutout for the first time. Getting close to paint! I must say, fluorescent green is growing on me . . .

55. Likes BadAsp427, jrcuz, RJD, Fman, 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must say, fluorescent green is growing on me . . .
    Always cool to see in progress photos, in progress...

How about Hot Pink?

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

57. Likes JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JB-

I have been following along, and I am very excited for you to be at the paint stage; you must be seriously stoked!!

Congratulations on all the hard work, and keeping us updated. I look forward to seeing her all dressed up and ready for the ball!

Regards and Beat Army!

Steve

59. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took a quick trip down to Georgia to visit Spotlight Customs and some friends who live in the Atlanta area, and it was a great experience. Spotlight Customs is located in Dahlonega, GA, in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, and I must say Mike has a nice setup there. Here’s the view from his workshop:

For those interested in hiking, this is just a stone’s throw from Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.

I had a great time chatting with Mike, the owner of Spotlight Customs. As you can see, he has a small but efficient Cobra pipeline in operation:

That’s mine on the left!

Mike was nice enough to help me make a few adjustments to my car that I wanted to take care of before the body went back on:

That’s Mike in the blue shirt. And best of all, I got to see #9822 with her new color and stripes for the first time:

Still some sanding and other steps left to complete, but it won’t be much longer now!
    Last edited by JB in NOVA; 07-03-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Excited for you.

62. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    .JB your roadster looks sweet, I'm jealous! Tom the owner/builder who lives 5 min. from me and I went to Whitby's last Fri. his is in for rearend collision repair (full body replacement) and I was having withdrawal symptoms having not seen it in nearly 6 mos. Actually had a couple parts that I want them to install.
    JR
    Last edited by jrcuz; 07-03-2021 at 03:37 PM.

64. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking fantastic... Can't wait to see it in person all back together...

66. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking fantastic, James! The next coat must be the highly anticipated fluorescent green. Looking forward to seeing it completed, and back on the body.

Editor's note: Chris does not have an aversion to fluorescent green. Purely just funnin' with JB.
    Chris

68. Likes JB in NOVA, BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Nice colour combo. You are very close now.
    Kyle

70. Thanks JB in NOVA thanked for this post
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast