Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  24

Thread: Be careful out there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be careful out there!

A good friend of mine got in a wreck a few days ago. He was driving peacefully on his way to my house when a white Dodge pickup was driving behind him changing lanes with out turn signals and cutting people off. He cut right in front of this car which caused the driver to move to the left, hit the turn lane curb and bounce back into the white Dodge and some poor unsuspecting person in a dark Honda just driving along normally. All 3 cars went into the ditch. The roadster hit the gully and flipped over on her roof. The witnesses (friends of the white Dodge) said he was trying to pass the white Dodge in the left turn lane but the roadster's on board video showed the truth. He's ok with some staples in his head but it could have been much worse. The drivers roll bar and 5 point safety harness saved him from more damage to himself or worse. Kudos to FFR for making such a strong frame and roll bar. The car looked much like Mark Smith's flip at Run and Gun in St Louis many years ago. The car was totaled by his insurance company and he is contemplating buying it back and building a FFR 289 with the drivetrain in this car. We cut the body off today and looked closely at the underpinnings. There are some issues with the control arms and the frame but he's alive? More to come.

Be safe out there,

Henry

IMG_8848.jpgIMG_8849.jpgIMG_8850.jpg

IMG_8851.jpgIMG_8858.jpgIMG_20240629_120423076.jpeg

2. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank God he’s ok!

Lots of take-offs for the rebuild. That must have been scary!!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

4. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post
    Likes toadster, tnt_motorsports liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad the driver will heal. Heartbreaking about his car.
    ----------------------------------------------

Jeff
    Roadster delivered 8/27/23
    Chevrolet Performance LS3
    Build Thread

6. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Is that Mark Burger's car?

8. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, glad he is alright despite what happened. Do you know what kind of device he used for the onboard camera? Sounds like my next investement.

10. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no. I am glad Mark is ok. This is just an awful outcome for you both. So much effort was put into this car to get it sorted to the stunning example that it was. Just heartbreaking. I had corresponded with Mark a few times (my wiring loom ended up in this car) He is a really nice guy and I am saddened this has happened. Wishing Mark a full recovery and the best of luck to you both, moving ahead.

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

12. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Herny, was that on Burnt Store Road? Looks like right by my place. Glad he is good, a car can be replaced.
    Higgy
    MK4 #11012 picked up 04/16/24
    351W, 3 link, single roll bar
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

14. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Higgy, fairly close. It was in Port Charlotte on 776 and Toledo Blade on his way to my place.

Henry

16. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get well soon, Mark! This could have been really tragic, but it sounds like you dodged a bullet. It's a wake up call to us all.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an opportunity to point out that multi-lane discipline is fast moving cars should be on the left, slower cars on the right.
    April FL traffic law:
    Statute 316.081 requires driving on the right side of the roadway unless trying to pass another vehicle. Knowingly staying in the left lane when a faster vehicle is looking to pass could get you a ticket. Apr 8, 2024

Passing on the right is dangerous and cutting off other cars invites incidents like this.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, a word of warning about "high speed passes" which is not about passing at high speed.......it's a pass where there is a high DIFFERENCE in the speed between the two vehicles.

20. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad they are ok, hope the other driver's have good insurance. It will be an expensive fix.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

22. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been procrastinating commenting on this post I will need to copy and paste this in the other groups as well.

I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and positive thoughts. It honestly does mean a lot to me.

This car was originally completed in 2002 and because the FFR paperwork is pre-major computer upgrade event, the records for the cobra that would become mine are long lost along with all the data prior to the upgrade. I point out when the car was completed but I don't know when the car was originally purchased but I can't thank Dave Smith and the engineers that worked back then to build a strong frame and while the next generations of FFR Cobras would continue to improve both in strength and safety for the driver, I am living proof to the strength of the original design and I am convinced saved my life. Also of extreme importance is that I always wear the five point harness. Always.

After the car came to rest after sliding upside down, I realized I was still here and still snug in the five point harness. I pulled the strap separating the Velcro and the harness popped open and I was able to squeeze out between the ground and drivers door in the space the rollbar left for me. when the EMT's arrived, they put me in the ambulance but sat there. They had already started stapling the top of my head together and they were checking for internal injuries that the EMT was convinced I must have. She then says we're waiting for the helicopter to land to take you to the local trauma center. I know all about adrenaline but from the time of the wreck to that point in time I felt absolutely no pain. Nothing. I knew my head was cut open based on the screams of those who looked my way lol, but I felt fine and I knew it wasn't adrenaline. As you can imagine the patient has no say in these matters so up up and away we went. they did a full body CT scan with and without contrast expecting to find lots of broken things but there was nothing. Not even a bruise anywhere. They put a couple more staples in my head and I was home later that afternoon still wondering what the hell just happened. There's a huge hole in the floor underneath the pedals which likely wouldn't be there with the added foot box protection of the newer cobra iterations. I have no idea where my feet were but they were still attached and working. 

The next couple of days were very difficult. Not because of my head injury and not because of my car being trashed but with the people I had to deal with like the tow yard for example. There were others as well but it just amazed me how rude , selfish, and just plain nasty to both me and my wife they were for no other reason that we were asking questions about what to do next. This is why when I read comments wishing me well it just reminds me that they're still more good out there than bad.

As Henry mentioned, I was on my way to his house where you can find me on most Saturdays. Immediately after the accident while sitting on the ground with my back up against the car trying to keep the blood off of my face, someone handed me my phone And I texted Henry a broken message that I was in an accident and of course I had to let him know I wasn't joking call my wife. From that moment forward Henry has been a godsend. He Continues to help see me through this doing all the things that good people do that no one sees going on behind the scenes. Thank you Henry! Also a thank you and shout out to Phil and Judy who happened to drive by the accident scene and recognizing my car turn around where Henry had been looking in the grass for any missing items. Even without knowing at that time what was going to happen with my car, Phil offered to come back out the next day and help anyway he could. This isn't the first time that I found myself in some need where Phil and Judy popped up out of nowhere to help. thank you both!

Finally, I've decided to buy back the car because it was a good deal and I'll use what I can on a new FFR. I'm thinking of doing a tribute to CSX3009. The Essex Wire "Ollie the Dragon"! I'm also considering the #50 car driven by Ken Miles winning the Canadian GT championship. I don't know the CSX number.
    Mark
    Gone but not forgotten. Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mark,

Thank God You Are Alive!
    Your car can be replaced.
    You Can't!

Steve

25. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Likes mburger, nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    This is an opportunity to point out that multi-lane discipline is fast moving cars should be on the left, slower cars on the right.
    April FL traffic law:
    Statute 316.081 requires driving on the right side of the roadway unless trying to pass another vehicle. Knowingly staying in the left lane when a faster vehicle is looking to pass could get you a ticket. Apr 8, 2024

Passing on the right is dangerous and cutting off other cars invites incidents like this.
    jim
    While I agree with you 100%, the cops here simply don't care and can't be bothered to ticket anyone doing this. The number of vehicles that camp in the left lane, that never use a directional signal or pass on the right is huge. I know this is something not isolated to SW Florida. Combine these driving habits to I75 where speeds normally reach 85mph+ and it's a recipe for disaster.
    You make all good points though.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Mark, for the update. I'm glad you're OK. And thank you to Henry, Phil and Judy, too! This is what our community is all about!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

28. Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've read or seen some horrible tragedies with these cars. So good to see a life saved in this crash. An excellent outcome, all things considered.

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

30. Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, glad to know you're fine. I went through this last fall, your friends can make a world of difference at times like this. I'm putting mine back together now, you'll be able to do the same, thats what's important!
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

32. Likes nucjd19, mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've never met but I am really glad your ok. Absolute best wishes going forward and I genuinely look forward to seeing your next build.
    Build 1 MK4 #10008 - Delivered 03/03/21, Graduated 7/20/22 - Sold 6/6/24
    Build Thread #1 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Build 2 MK4 #11061- Delivered 08/24/24
    Build Thread #2 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...006#post562006

34. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear your back in the game Mark. I'm also not surprised to hear that Henry was there for the rescue.Good luck to you both.

Dave
    MK4 Complete kit FFR9939. Gen 1 Coyote, Tremec 3650, IRS 3.31 ratio, Breeze radiator stuff, Breeze cubby and battery mount, North Race Cars heat and A/C, RT drop trunk kit, Replica Parts radiator aluminum and brake booster spacer, FFR soft top.

36. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am so glad to hear that you are made it through.

Driving in this country is getting worse every year. Florida is terrible for left lane campers, no turn signals, and running red lights. When you pull up to an intersection, people don't have a clue what the right of way rules are.

Why the police can't be bothered enforcing the law is beyond me. I kind of thought it was their job.

38. Likes mburger, Alan_C liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you are mostly OK Mark. This sure seems to prove the correctness of "all 5, all the time," among other things I could say. Hang in there, this too shall pass.

40. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know you Mark, but it's great to hear you're ok. Thanks for sharing your story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I've been a lot less active here over the past few months, and just saw this thread today. I recognized the car and was very relieved to hear that you are still with us, Mark.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

43. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    Finally, I've decided to buy back the car because it was a good deal and I'll use what I can on a new FFR. I'm thinking of doing a tribute to CSX3009. The Essex Wire "Ollie the Dragon"! I'm also considering the #50 car driven by Ken Miles winning the Canadian GT championship. I don't know the CSX number.
    Glad to hear you are still with us Mark and came out of this mostly okay. I hope you are feeling better soon!
    It's nice to see you are able to make the most out of a bad situation and use some of the resurrected parts for a new car. My vote is for the #50 289 car.

45. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mark, though I too do not know you, I am also grateful that as a member of the F5 Family, you are no doubt shook-up, but not seriously hurt or worse. I am also just really happy for your wife, family and friends. And speaking of such, I am also glad you were alone and didn’t have your wife or someone else in the the car at the time.

I know I always tell myself that if something should happen to me, I want to be alone. I can only imagine the crazy experience and everlasting memories that would last a lifetime having to go through that type of accident. I couldn’t tell if you had dual roll bars or not? I always wanted a single one for the nostalgia and replica feel, but went with duals just for the reason if something should happen where one ends upside down, it will be a wise decision to have installed both. Also, I’m glad to see that windshield held up pretty well too. I actually think that worries me the most.

And I also echo the praise to Factory Five and the engineers and the design of this Roadster chassis. I have always felt it was the best one on the market and this thread just proves that!

Anyway, all the best on your recovery and I’m glad you’re able to take on the challenge to rebuild, or build a new car with a new journey and purpose. All the best and may you never ever have to experience that again!

Doug
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

47. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ydousurf View Post
    Hi Mark, though I too do not know you, I am also grateful that as a member of the F5 Family, you are no doubt shook-up, but not seriously hurt or worse. I am also just really happy for your wife, family and friends. And speaking of such, I am also glad you were alone and didn’t have your wife or someone else in the the car at the time.

I know I always tell myself that if something should happen to me, I want to be alone. I can only imagine the crazy experience and everlasting memories that would last a lifetime having to go through that type of accident. I couldn’t tell if you had dual roll bars or not? I always wanted a single one for the nostalgia and replica feel, but went with duals just for the reason if something should happen where one ends upside down, it will be a wise decision to have installed both. Also, I’m glad to see that windshield held up pretty well too. I actually think that worries me the most.

And I also echo the praise to Factory Five and the engineers and the design of this Roadster chassis. I have always felt it was the best one on the market and this thread just proves that!

Anyway, all the best on your recovery and I’m glad you’re able to take on the challenge to rebuild, or build a new car with a new journey and purpose. All the best and may you never ever have to experience that again!

Doug
    I had only the driver side roll bar. The passenger likely would not have made it. Thankfully I was alone.
    The windshield held up great.
    I've certainly seen much worse wrecks, but I know how fortunate and blessed I am.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Now, onto the next FFR build! I still have places to go and things to do in my roadster!
    Mark

49. Likes Alan_C, jrcuz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post

Now, onto the next FFR build! I still have places to go and things to do in my roadster!
    Good for you, Mark!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, I just noticed this. So glad you were able to "walk" away from this accident, and seem to be recovering well. Best wishes for you and your loved ones.
    MkII: 408 Dart block dry sump, 750cfm carb, G-Force T-5, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears, 3-link, Kirkey seats, black ceramic coated twister mufflers with shields and adjustable turn down tips, passenger roll bar, front and rear roll bars. 2020 GT500 Magnetic metallic, with white and lime green stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see you made it through such a terrible accident that was no fault of your own. I know Henry from back in his days in Massachusetts. A real stand up guy and not surprised that he has jumped in to help out. Also great to see that the chassis and especially the roll bar and belts did their job. Many times I have explained to onlookers who question the safety of " that plastic tub with the too big engine" and explain how much safer these cars can be then their Toyota. Best wishes in your recovering and looking forward to your new build!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mark,
    OK, I think I'll install the driver side rollbar now! Plus use the 5 point harness! With all the damage to the car, and as you commented it's amazing that these cars can take a hit - or in your case an upside down slide - and still protect the driver. And like others have said, awesome you are physically ok!

Side note when I had a minor accident and the body needed to be replaced, the team at FFR did some checking. They determined that the Mark III bodies will fit and work well on a Mark I. And they were right! It worked out perfectly.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,
    I just read this thread. Wow! Very glad you got out of this!
    I wish you the very best.

Francois

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad you're ok. Hope your new build is spectacular. Just the blink of an eye and your whole world changes instantly. I sometimes have free time at work (like now) and I watch a lot of you tube videos of "idiots on the road" and am horrified of how many idiots cause a wreck, and the poor guy who was out of the way and had nothing to do with it, gets sucked into the vortex of the accident and quite often become a tragic victim of some butt head driving like an idiot. While they are tragic and horrifying to watch they have changed my driving habits to be more aware of right hand lane flyers who come up the right lane usually 20-30mph or more than what the left lane is running and then start a basket weaving process in and out of all the lanes just missing the front quarters and rear quarters of cars they are cutting off to get two or three car lengths ahead of where they were. I probably shouldn't watch them as they have made me a bit paranoid. Maybe that's a good thing maybe not. Be careful out there. Common courtesy seems to be a thing of the past.....
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

Post Thanks / Like
    I kept thinking about your accident and then started reviewing the FFR cars I have built over the years which have been in various accidents - luckily none with me driving. I have built 5 roadsters, a coupe, a GTM, an F818 and a 33 roadster. 4of the roadsters have been crashed at least once, the coupe was crashed by the delivery company in a walmart parking lot, the GTM crashed in Texas. All have been repaired as best I know which lends some support for the durability of the cars. Three of the cars were sold to individuals who probability had no right in driving this type of vehicle. The last roadster I built was purchased by someone local, who had never driven anything like this. After explaining how to drive and what to expect, I followed him for less than a mile where at the first intersection he punched the gas and completely spun 360 degrees. His neighbor tells me that for the last 5 years he rolls the car out of the garage and maintains it but never takes it out on the road!

Post Thanks / Like
    Those statistics makes us understand why insuring one of these cars has gone up so much in the last few years. My MK4 only had 299 RWHP and very sticky tires, likely part of the reason I never crashed it. I was always respectful of what the car was capable of doing. I auto crossed the car a little bit and found while the go pedal can get you in trouble, so can the brake pedal. A missed braking point and added brake to compensate resulted in a quick 270 degree spin, an experience I will never forget.
    Everyone not used to high performance road cars should find a way to explore the driving characteristics in a safe place. Knowing the limits first hand will go a long way to putting some sense in the owner. These cars have a reputation of biting when not respected, the reputation exists because they do. Then there are those occasions, as described here, when out of the blue some idiot comes along and totals your car.
    When I built mine, my wife insisted if she were to ride in it, a passenger side rollbar was a must. Thank goodness I never had an issue, but her sensibility made it a safer car.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

58. Likes J R Jones, marshc56 liked this post