Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Jazzman’s #8745 "Flip Top" Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'm not quite understanding your description of the starter wires. If you're using the Coyote harness, PDB, PCM, etc. to control the start process, you only need the pictured Coyote Starter Lead (the labeled one in the braided insulation) and the +12V large battery lead. That's it. The blue wire pictured, I assume from the RF harness, is not used. That entire RF leg, from the ignition switch and going through the clutch safety switch, is not used if the Coyote is controlling the start. Finally, looks like you're taking the front harness across the top of the radiator area? Maybe that's because of your tilt front mod? Usually that leg goes across the bottom of the radiator and the harness split is in the right place. Wiring is fun, isn't it? You're making good progress.
    As usual, you are right. I was trying to make the starter wiring much more complex than it needs to be. I won't rehash the details and potentially confuse a future reader, but I was trying to find a wire from the RF harness that would connect to the starter. When allowing the Coyote PCB and PCM to control everything, there is no RF starter signal wire that needs to be connected to the starter. Bottom line: I had done a good job of marking and organizing the Coyote starter wire, then forgot all about it. When I finally spotted it, It finally dawned on me that the blue starter wire from the Coyote harness was the only thing needed. I'm slow, but I do catch on!! Thanks for the confirmation that I am back on the right track.

You are right, I am taking the front light harness across the top rather than down below as is usual. Because of the movement of the flip top, and the modifications in the area of the lower radiator, it seems to be a bit more simple to take it across the top. I plan to hook the smaller bulbs in the Tangent fixture into the running light circuit since they are more decorative in nature.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I plan to hook the smaller bulbs in the Tangent fixture into the running light circuit since they are more decorative in nature.
    Great idea! Wish I had thought of that.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.