Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 15th Anniversary MKIV build thread - TROJAN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    The way I hear it, that handsome dude was the only one that lifted a finger the entire day to help Miller. The rest of the those there just kept asking when lunch was? I here he was given some award or something for being so helpful.
    Shhhhhh... nobody look! It's one o' dem' der eeenternet trolls! Don't feed the troll!

Now where were we? Oh yeah. Back at the shop...

I put the build to bed with just a few more glamour shots. Still trying to capture that yellow...

In this shot, please note the awkward angle of the passenger side pipe. This became the next project, to fix that issue:

All tucked in for the night:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it juvenile to say that it looks like it's having a really nice dream? You can try to tell me to get my mind out of the gutter, but it wouldn't do any good. It's attached to my body.

Very nice, by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic! Funny I had thought of a similar yellow with pale green stripes but thought that may be a bit bold.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    Is it juvenile to say that it looks like it's having a really nice dream? You can try to tell me to get my mind out of the gutter, but it wouldn't do any good. It's attached to my body.

Very nice, by the way.
    I like the way you think

Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Looks fantastic! Funny I had thought of a similar yellow with pale green stripes but thought that may be a bit bold.
    I've seen a yellow with green stripes that was almost day glow. THAT was bold! This is very understated by comparison. Like I said, I can't capture the right color with my cellphone. Sometimes, it freaks out and washes (only) the yellow out completely. Check out this shot of the passenger exhaust after I added a BUNCH of the Breeze exhaust extensions (detailed in my next post):

Thanks for the kudos guys and for chiming in. Kyle, that blue on your avatar is awesome. IC you are going 15's. Nice! Do you have your brake kit picked out yet?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FIXING FFR Passenger CAT length.

EDIT: I failed to note that these are NOT FFR sidepipes. My mistake. Turns out there is a difference in the measurements in the passenger pipe between GAS-N and FFR pipes. So I've modified the statements below

As it comes from the factory, the FFR passenger CAT is too short (for GASN pipes). After I assembled the go cart and tried to drop the body on, the passenger pipe would not fit through the hole without mounting it low with the pipe sticking out at an angle from the body. I measured the CAT, took pictures of both sides of the chassis and sent it to FFR. The answer I got back from the Tech department was that it was "within spec". Assuming that's true, the spec is wrong (not true. I changed pipes and failed to check the difference). But with the addition of over 1-1/4" worth of spacers from Breeze the pipe exits the body high and tight, just like the driver's side.

Here is how the pipes fit on the chassis without any extra spacers. Here's the driver's side. Nice separation from the chassis so the pipe can run parallel to the body:

And here is the passenger side. The pipe starts to turn way before it gets to the body and is way too close to the chassis:

Here's the resulting look when you try to mount the body:

Now, you can get the pipe a little closer to the body. A little. What usually happens is you either enlarge the hole or the pipe ends up touching the body. This is how my MKIII is set up (EDIT: Guess what? GASN pipes...). So you can kind of fix it up. Make it close. but it's not ever really "correct", IMO.

continued...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FIXING FFR Passenger CAT length pt2.

Continued...

To fix the passenger side pipe droop issue I got in touch with Mark Reynolds at Breeze automotive and he sent out a PLETHORA of inserts to use to in effect lengthen the passenger CAT. Three 1/4" straight inserts and three wedges. "Start with this and send me back what you don't use" he said. I bought 4 new 2-1/2" bolts and took the whole pile - plus another gasket - and bolted it up. Yeah, I know, I need to clean those pipes:

Wow, the difference is night and day. Look at the way the pipe fits now!

Passenger side:

Driver's side:

Passenger side body exit:

Driver's side body exit:

The passenger side pipe, fixed:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's last night's work:

Funny thing about the marker lights... I couldn't see a way to mount them so that the little plastic fins on the light could line up vertical and horizontal. It bugs me that they are offset and crooked:

I guess the easiest solution is to re drill the mounting holes?

Post Thanks / Like
    David,
    Ya' need a set of "O" rings for those marker lights---tell Miller I said so

Give me a shout when you have a minute to chat (812)327-zero393.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    I like the way you think

I've seen a yellow with green stripes that was almost day glow. THAT was bold! This is very understated by comparison. Like I said, I can't capture the right color with my cellphone. Sometimes, it freaks out and washes (only) the yellow out completely. Check out this shot of the passenger exhaust after I added a BUNCH of the Breeze exhaust extensions (detailed in my next post):

Thanks for the kudos guys and for chiming in. Kyle, that blue on your avatar is awesome. IC you are going 15's. Nice! Do you have your brake kit picked out yet?

David,

I believe it's Viking Blue unless someone smarter than me can correct that. Yes going with 15's, likely MT's as the Avons are pricey. Brakes are coming from Gordon, should have the rears Monday and the fronts had a shipping problem. Can't wait as I have two weeks of no work to get a lot done hopefully.

Interesting about the cats and Gas-N pipes. Was going to go with cats but they are not required here but did get Gas-N pipes and headers. May change that in the future so it's good to know about this issue. Mark from Breeze is great and I have a number of things I have on my wish list on the Breeze site.

I guess someday when I am out that way on business I'll have to see the yellow in person as you are right the pics seem to change the color.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kyle, if you need any reference pics of my Wilwoods let me know. I got mine from Gordon, although that was early 2008.

Just for reference I wanted to show a couple more shots of the pipe mounts.

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

This past weekend was a busy one, not all of it build related. I installed a new PC at my FIL's house and updated it to Windows 10. When they tell you on the screen to sit back and relax, they actually mean go get lunch and come back later! Other than that though, it upgraded no problem and found the local printer, installed the drivers set it as the default before I tried to print to it. So on a new machine install, the upgrade was flawless. I'm not so eager to try that to my development machine at work though!

Back at the shop, I took the rest of the powder coated parts I got back last week and assembled the Emergency Brake handle. I had never done one before, as my first build has a Lokar handle mounted on the top of the trans tunnel. I decided to go the factory route this time. I am getting some interference from the bolts that hold the outer part of the handle to the inner actuating part. Both bolts scrape against the tunnel. If anyone has a remedy for this please let me know. Otherwise I guess I'll be cutting some aluminum...

In this pic you can see how the handle is already skewed at an angle to the rest of the mechanism. Something here needs to change:

The rest of the install was just setting up the cables. I'll upload a few pics in a bit of that. I routed the cable around the outside or the shock. I don't want the cable to interfere with the shock springs and I was thinking of using safety wire to secure the cable to the base of the shock. Does that sound like a decent solution?

I also fixed a small routing issue I had with the trunk light harness (I hadn't secured it) and set up the fuel filler/lemans cap connection. I drilled/tapped a hole for a 1/4" bolt in the frame forward of where the splash guard will mount and removed some powder coat around the hole for the gas intake grounding strap. The grounding strap will have to go around the splash guard but it was the closest spot I cold see that had direct access to the frame steel. Everywhere else close by was aluminum-covered:

The fuel-to-gas-tank connection is so much nicer than my MKIII! Nice re-design. It went together in a snap and the Lemans cap accepts a normal size gas cap which is nice:

Post Thanks / Like
    RE: the handle bolts rubbing aluminum--- install them from the other direction. The button heads won't protrude as much.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    RE: the handle bolts rubbing aluminum--- install them from the other direction. The button heads won't protrude as much.

Jeff
    Yeah, I thought about that. It will help a little... I wonder if I bend the bracket if that will help?

Last night I drilled all the holes in the new seat brackets. The first ones I made had to be scrapped. These only have the one set of holes and I'm thinking of powdercoating them black, to fade into the carpet:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I didn't really do a lot yesterday. I took the seat brackets to the local powdercoater. I like these guys because they are small, seem to do a good job and are way less expensive than the other place that is 20 miles away. I'm just having them shot in black to blend in to the carpet.

Other than that, I just cleaned the shop until I got a call about "stuff" at home and used that as an excuse to take the rest of the night off. Believe it or not, this is "clean":

I'll be getting the brackets back before Friday. With any luck the lights will be functional by then and I'll be working on the new dash. This weekend the windshield should be going in and I'll have less than 2 weeks to finish up details before the Arboretum show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well hello again, I spent most of the weekend at the shop and was able to get a few things done...

On Saturday I tore apart the temporary das dash in preparation of finally engine turning and installing the custom dash. I also changed out the front quick jacks (AKA shin bashers) for over riders and the front bumper hoop. The dash harness needed a bit of a wire diet so it was nice to organize and simplify the wiring a bit. It's still a rats nest, but not quite as bad. I'll work on cleaning up the runs as I get ready to put the dash in.

I decided to go full dress on the front and it turned out really nice. Not a difficult job to do so no in-progress shots, just these three shots of the finished product:

I'll be adding a shroud for the opening. I'm planning to make it a wrap-around and will be adding some engine turning with stripes to it. If I get the rest of the car prepped for October 3rd I'll try adding that piece otherwise it will have to wait until later in October before I get to it. I would like to note how once again the kit improved from MKII to MKIV. The bumper is even side to side and the over riders extend from the body the same distance, which fixes a problem with pre MKIV's.

After I installed the bumper I spent some time trying to attach wires to the coupe tail lights I have and it was a minor disaster. I'll open a separate thread to discuss the issue I'm having...

The last thing I did on Saturday was to set up and start the dash engine turning, which I'll describe in the next post...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Engine-Turned Dash!

Late Saturday and through Sunday I worked on the dash. I've always wanted the dash to have some type of pattern... I wanted to do a racing stripe but the reflection from the sun made that impossible. I did some experimentation with reversing the pattern of the engine turning that resulted in a cool 3-d effect of the stripes so I decided to move forward with that stratagy. The only thing I changed was the way I taped off the stripes. In the test piece the stripes had a very small demarcation line showed up between the stripes. I decided to tape off the piece to eliminate that line. The procedure was a success but the resulting pattern is - IMO - too subtle. I'd HATE to do this over, especially since it doesn't involve a real "mistake"! I'm looking for some feedback on how you think this dash looks, so be honest and let me know what you think.

I have tons of pics in my album, but here are some that stand out from the rest. Here's a detailed shot of the outer pin stripes:

And here's several shots of the whole dash:

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a Big 10 fan, but this car is absolutely stunning! Incredible job, David!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, David, I'll be the first to pick up your challenge. (Just remember, opinions are like navels - everybody's got one!) I love engine turning, and I love all the amazing work you have done on this car. I even considered doing an engine turned dash. Now having seeing it, I have two observations. 1) I am very worried that the glare off that beautiful dash would require the driver to wear welding goggles! 2) I agree with you: the stripes are too subtle. They don't stand out as stripes, but rather look like the pattern got confused at that point. It is, however, a pretty amazing optical illusion. They really do look like they are 3 dimensional!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Ok, David, I'll be the first to pick up your challenge. (Just remember, opinions are like navels - everybody's got one!) I love engine turning, and I love all the amazing work you have done on this car. I even considered doing an engine turned dash. Now having seeing it, I have two observations. 1) I am very worried that the glare off that beautiful dash would require the driver to wear welding goggles! 2) I agree with you: the stripes are too subtle. They don't stand out as stripes, but rather look like the pattern got confused at that point. It is, however, a pretty amazing optical illusion. They really do look like they are 3 dimensional!
    I'm going to go ahead and mount this dash because I have a show in 12 days - ACK! - and after that I'll re-assess the dash situation. I have an engine turned bezel around my gauges on my car and it's definitely bright but not overwhelming. I'll just have to see if the dash is too bright, and if it is I'll just do another one.

Thanks for the honest opinion though I appreciate the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yesterday I found a local place that had a nice 14" air cleaner. It has "COBRA" stamped on the top and it seems nice and sturdy. The filter element is yellow, which is a nice bonus:

I also started mounting the splash guards on the front. Can you believe it's been 9 years since I got my first kit and I STILL haven't mounted them?!? These fit very nicely out of the gate and should be done this evening:

Post Thanks / Like
    David, you asked for opinions on the dash, so here is mine. I do NOT like the current dash! The stripes get lost and it makes me dizzy looking for them. I like the way you did the other panels much better.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with the stripes looking odd, maybe paint on red stripes, leave the rest engine turned?

Post Thanks / Like
    David
    I like the engine turn on the dash but like others not sure about the stripes
    just a thought what about doing the stripes in the red down thru the dash? with the engine turn for the rest (yellow area)
    by the way the car is fantastic, your work is unbelievable, keep it up
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What do you guys think of this?

I've been thinking of ways to try and save it too. What do you think of an ultra-fine matching yellow and cardinal pinstripes outlining the stripes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I tried a mockup in paint that looked like... but what about a fine silver pinstripe to break up the stripes?

Post Thanks / Like
    What about paint over the turning with candy paint to match body and stripe color?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    What about paint over the turning with candy paint to match body and stripe color?
    Hmm....

I don't think that would work. I've already applied the sharkhide.

Post Thanks / Like
    sharkhide can be removed with lacquer thinner according to their website.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave

How about masking and running scotch brite on the strips for a brushed finish. Or even a Polished finish. Kind of a compliment to the firewall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, great work David.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    Dave

How about masking and running scotch brite on the strips for a brushed finish. Or even a Polished finish. Kind of a compliment to the firewall.
    I can't go polished in the cockpit. I tried creating a brushed look with scotch bright and media blasting but I didn't like the look. I'm going to use the current dash for the Arboretum show on Oct. 3rd and will revisit the issue after that. I simply don't have the time to do it now, especially if I have any hope of putting in carpet and finishing up all the other details I'm working on. I only have 8 days left!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Procopio View Post
    Wow, great work David.
    Thank you sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yesterday I finally found an upholstery shop near my build shop that has the time to lay in the cockpit carpet. I'll be dropping it off on Monday and will get it back Wednesday. Which means two of my prep days are now shot!

Last night I finished putting on the front splash guards. It's hard to see in this shot with all the reflections but what you DON'T see is the wheel:

...and I also added in the under-door aluminum:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Last night I went out and found some sound dampening material for the cockpit. I'm going to install it myself before giving the car to the carpet guy. I returned to the shop and proceeded with the install. First I cleaned up the whole cockpit, took out the seat belts and brackets and moved most of the dash wiring out of the way. I also turned around the two bolts on the e-brake arm as suggested by Jeff Kleiner. Simple fix, and no more rubbing.

These are the last pics of the silver aluminum cockpit, with all my perfect rivet patterns showing. That's a funny part about the build. I took the time to measure, center and align all those rivets only so that I could slap these sound panels on top of them and hide all that "craftmanship" forever. Hey, I guess that's part of what build pics are for... sniff, sniff:

Now with that out of the way I moved on to installing the Hushmat. It's the typical foil and tar-like goop backing. The interesting thing about it is that the foil is black. That's pretty cool because that's a perfect color for underneath black carpet.

I used a 5/8" hollow center punch to create the holes for the seat bracket mounting bolts:

Looks like I'll finish the Hushmat install today. That leaves the weekend to put on the rear splashguards, rear bumper, make an under-dash panel, wire the lights and install the windshield. I'll put the dash back together after I get the car back from carpet.

BTW I opened the windshield box for the first time last night. It's been sitting for over 4 years. No crack! (Hey, ya never know).

Post Thanks / Like
    ...BTW I opened the windshield box for the first time last night. It's been sitting for over 4 years.
    Wow, pretty gutsy to go all the way through paint without a test fit to check the location, size and shape of the factory cut windshield post holes!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Wow, pretty gutsy to go all the way through paint without a test fit to check the location, size and shape of the factory cut windshield post holes!

Jeff
    Yeah but even if I have to do a little cutting none of it will show...

I hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    oh BTW I forgot: Jeff used a piece of metal shaped like a windshield post to check the holes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tonight's progress...

I was rudely interrupted by my brother who showed up to pay the deposit on the carpet install and he forced me to go to dinner at the Bluewater Grill in Newport. (nom nom) I made the most of my predicament by ordering the steamed clams which were amazing. But still. Valet cost me $3. Oh well.

I made my retreat back to the shop and made progress but didn't finish the Hushmat install. I'm probably 3 hrs behind starting tomorrow. Precious few day left!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pressure is on David, get er done!
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's been a LONG weekend!

I spent all Saturday and part of Sunday laying out the sound mat for the carpet install that starts today. I also installed the lic. plate holder and built, installed and wired up the Coupe tail lights. The brake pedal has been pushed so far forward that the tail light switch is engaged full time. I took the lights out as to not waste the battery. I also took time to clean the shop and had the car outside for the first time since getting back from Miller's.

Here's a bunch of shots of last weekend's work...

Almost completely covered. I got that last little bit by the door striker after this shot was taken:

I included this dark shot because it's the closest I've seen to the actual body color in a pic:

Let's face it: this stuff is just ugly. I do like the nice "thunk" the panels make when you rap them with your knuckles now though!

Installed the rear splash guards:

FINALLY put the spinners on!

Coupe tail lights and Lic. plack bracket installed. It's nice working at eye level! Looks like I'll have to drop the tank to install the bumper...

Finally seeing the light of day...

Somehow I got the car to the upholsterer 2 blocks away. I pushed it. Yeah, that's it. I pushed it...

Post Thanks / Like
    oh BTW I forgot: Jeff used a piece of metal shaped like a windshield post to check the holes...

Dave

Let me know how the windshield goes. Mine has got me a bit freaked out. I have two pieces of metal that are shaped like the windshield posts clamped in place through body openings that I massaged a bit to get them to fit. Only issue is that the simulated legs are NOT the same as the windshield when the factory legs are attached. In my case the windshield legs are splayed out (pigeon toed \ / ) to where the holes in the body will have to be closer together in the rear as apposed to the front. (Not Parallel) They are also a bit wider apart on the windshield than the mounting points on the frame. Right now it looks like I will have to bend the legs parallel to one another and also try and twist the legs square to one another. Otherwise you are looking at shims and pretty big openings in the body. I keep poking around on the forum and am still not comfortable with getting it done.

I am hoping you get this done so I can copy you and worry less. Selfish I know, but you are under the gun and I am just cruising along.
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 09-29-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    Dave

Let me know how the windshield goes. Mine has got me a bit freaked out. I have two pieces of metal that are shaped like the windshield posts clamped in place through body openings that I massaged a bit to get them to fit. Only issue is that the simulated legs are NOT the same as the windshield when the factory legs are attached. In my case the windshield legs are splayed in (pigeon toed / \ ) to where the holes in the body will have to be closer together in the front as apposed to the rear. (Not Parallel) They are also a bit wider apart on the windshield than the mounting points on the frame. Right now it looks like I will have to bend the legs parallel to one another and also try and twist the legs square to one another. Otherwise you are looking at shims and pretty big openings in the body. I keep poking around on the forum and am still not comfortable with getting it done.

I am hoping you get this done so I can copy you and worry less. Selfish I know, but you are under the gun and I am just cruising along.
    Marcel I'll let you know what's what later this week.

The car is off to the carpet guy so I get a few "days off". They asked me to stop by today to check on the progress so I might get a pic then. But I'l just be puttering around the shop, giving it a good cleaning.

Hurry up and wait...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast