FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The "Mistress" 818S Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Making some good progress but sometimes it seems like it is two steps forward and then one step back. When doing a project like this, it is easy to say I don't need to do that now or the stock ones will be fine. You always end up paying the price with additional parts and a bunch more time when you could have just done it right the first time.

I ended up replacing the wheel studs with longer ARP Wheel studs for both strength and length since I am having to run wheel spacers to avoid any rubbing. This is something that I should have done when I had the entire hub disassembled and replaced the wheel bearings. I was hoping that I would have to remove everything but I was wrong. Had to disassemble all four corners, press out the hub, press in the new studs and then press it all back together with out damaging the new bearings. Then of course put it all back together. The rear worked out because I needed to replace rear lateral links as well because the stock ones were bent (donor car was in a rollover) and thought that was how they were supposed to be since the bends on both sides were identical. Installed the new ones when I put the rest of the suspension in but took some work getting everything to fit properly. The alignment on this car is way off and has way to many adjustments needed to get it where is needs to be. I am thinking that this is something I will have someone else do.

I also ended up replacing the engine and trans mounts with a set of Cusco mounts that are almost solid. The stock mounts allow the engine to move a bit to much and I have no idea how many miles where on them. This was truly a case where I thought the stock ones would be fine and should have replaced them while the engine was still on its stand. It was good that I replaced them because as I was removing the nut off of the trans mount, the stud broke. The mounts are way better and was very impressed with the design. The last project I started this last week was the stereo. My plan is to run an iPad Mini as my stereo (Pandora, Nav and track apps) and was able to get the amp mounted, front speakers mounted, sub box made and mounted and ran most of the wires. I ended up mounting the amp under the dash to keep it dry, hard to see and will still let get to it for adjusting gain etc. For the fronts I am running a 5-14" Kickers (marine grade), 3" Crunch waterproof motorcycle speakers (small and easy to mount), a 6-3/4" Kicker shallow mount sub (Marine grade) and all powered by a Cyrwin (??) Vega 850 watt 5 channel stealth amp.

***Written for another forum****

Last edited by coloskydiver; 01-02-2015 at 03:08 PM.