Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: No more lurking - MK4 build!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

No more lurking - MK4 build!

Hello folks!

My name is Laurence H. and this is my introduction post. I have been lurking and and reading up on this project since 2010 when the MK4 came out. At the time it was my first year of law school and I definitely couldn't do it - heck I didn't even have a garage! Fast forward 6 years and I finally am in a place to start my build.

As you might imagine, I have been planning out my build for quite some time. That being said, I still have a lot of questions. The completion date for my kit is September 3rd, and I am attending the September build school. I live in Philadelphia and I would love to chat with any folks nearby and pick your brains. I also have never actually been for a ride in one of these babies yet...

The kit was technically a base kit, but I ordered it during the half off sale and pretty much turned it into a complete kit.

As far as the specs of my build, here is the basic plan and the specs so far:

IRS
    Power steering
    Complete kit brakes, spindles, tubular A arms
    FFR wiring harness - body and EFI engine
    heater/defroster, windshield wipers and a bunch of the other goodies
    catalytic converters
    wilwood pedals
    kirkey intermediate seats
    ffr gas tank system
    ffr cooling system

I ordered a '93 Mustang engine/transmission from MPS Auto Salvage. They give you a freshened up transmission, the PCM, and all of the accessories. I plan to rebuild the engine as I have always wanted to do that. I am probably going to go with forged pistons and moly rings, but leave the top end for a later date. That should be arriving in about a week.

My overall goal for the car is to road trip it all across the country and drive it spiritedly on winding roads. I love to work on cars and i have more experience than the average joe, but way less than a real mechanic. For anyone who is reading this - can you link me to information about hydroboost brakes, and where to buy a kit? Or does anyone have experience with most the Whitby vacuum unit and hydroboost?

I think that is it for now. I am so excited to be starting and joining this community for real! Cheers!
    Last edited by lahrs37; 08-14-2016 at 08:14 PM.