Whitby

Visit our community sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #8938 - Jacob's Build

Your RT turn signal assembly shouldn't stick out that far. It has a mounting bracket that attaches to an angled bracket on the 2x2 tube under the dash. Push it down to that location, then adjust the steering column to be in the right location for the steering wheel. This isn't the best picture (early in the wiring process of #8674) but in the LH side you can see the mounting bracket and location. The actual turn signal lever and assembly is removed in this pic, but the tube and mounting are as supplied from RT.

Personally, I'd be a little concerned about that fuse panel location. Granted I guess it makes the rear harness routing a little simpler. But IMO it's not a big deal to route through the upper corner of the DS footbox as shown. What I'd be more concerned about is the front harness. The two legs (LH and RH lighting) are just long enough as supplied. With it further away, I'm betting you're going to find them too short. Something to check. I agree the stock location of the fuse panel looks a little hard to get to. But for the relatively few times you need to get to it once the car is operational, I would question the value of moving it. Once everything is sorted, you will go months/years without ever needing to even look at it. If you do, popping in/out a fuse or relay is quick and easy. Your choice though. Make it your way.

There has been quite a few threads discussion the merits (or not) of fuel and brake lines inside the transmission tunnel. Consensus of most is not the best location due to the spinning driveshaft. If you're set on doing that, at least make a driveshaft loop mandatory for your build.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-17-2017 at 06:25 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. Deliv: 08/05/2015. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. Red/white club for the third time. #8674 Build Thread

Thanks for your feedback Edwardb, I appreciate your thoughts. I ran the front harness first and the wires terminate right at the front of the frame rails, with the connectors that I plan to use on the front I think I will be OK. I do plan on using the driveshaft loop too. Russ asked me to give him a call and he can guide me thru what I need to do to get the signal housing closer to the dash.

Also, I have properly adjusted the Russ Thompson turn signal housing and am happy with where it sits now. Pics to follow.
    Last edited by Jacob; 04-23-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

After thinking it over, decided to remove the fuel lines from the upper R of the trans tunnel and put them back where I had them, along frame rail of passenger side. Still intend to install a driveshaft loop but just didn't think having the fuel lines there as a good idea. Appreciate Edwardb for making me pause and think!
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

More progress being made:
    Got the motor and transmission this week
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Moved the fuel lines back to where I originally had them, passenger side frame rail

Got the Russ Thompson signal seated where I'm happy with it
    [IMG][/IMG]

Finally decided where to mount the master battery switch
    [IMG][/IMG]

Got the gauges and switches laid out where I'm happy with them.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mounted the grab bar (that I shamelessly copied) from edwardb
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now I'll take a break and drive the 37 Ford down to the "redneck riviera" for a few days!
    Last edited by Jacob; 04-23-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Any problems with how I mounted the inertia switch?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Covered the dash with marine vinyl that has a nice pattern to it. First covered with vinyl faux carbon fiber, but was concerned about how it might hold up and if it got scratched it would not be fun taking all the gauges out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Installed the dash grab bar (idea stolen from edwardb)...I have it braced to the 2x2 frame rail. I'll try to take some pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

Starting the wiring now and to be honest it's a bit more challenging than it should be but I'm slogging through it.
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Here is a pic of the bracing I built for the grab bar. It's 1/2 inch x 1/8 inch flatbar with extra bracing welded on and its real firm. This view is looking down from the heater box.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Dash / Gauge / Switch wiring roughed in and tested most of the circuits and so far they all work as designed...even the Russ Thompson dimmer / flash to pass! Thanks to Edwardb for coaching me through this. Few pics below:

Including this pic to show how the Russ Thompson hub fits. I still have about 1/8" to move inward. Also in this pic below the column is an LED momentary push switch that will act as a clutch safety switch, have to push it while turning the key to start. I didn't want to try to fabricate a clutch lever safety switch.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG]

[/IMG][IMG]

ll [/IMG][IMG]

This pic may show the grain of the marine vinyl cover that I used on the dash. I like the texture of it. I will cover this console box that contains the fuse panel and use SS button head screws to hold a vinyl carbon fiber cover.

[/IMG]
    Last edited by Jacob; 05-18-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Catching up on a few items.

Installed the set screw that will hold the hub adaptor in place.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Slight set back. Seems when the motor was assembled the bell housing was intended for a TKO trans rather than a T-5. Was getting ready to start putting the motor and transmission in the car and after wrestling with the transmission by myself, decided to stop and measure bolt holes...so waiting on the replacement to arrive.

[IMG][/IMG]

Decided how I was going to open and close the footbox vents. Found some 24" throttle cables that worked out real well.[IMG][/IMG]

I installed the drive shaft cage. Realizing others have a negative view of the one I installed, but I think it will be fine, especially given how I intend to drive it. Sometimes, cheap insurance is better than none at all.[IMG][/IMG]

Almost finished with stuffing the wiring and defroster vents behind the dash. Can't imagine how those who use the Coyote manage to get all the wires back there? The space filled up fast.[IMG][/IMG]
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Dropped the motor in, so I feel like I might have accomplished something. Motor went in fairly easily, did it by myself and took about an hour and a good amount of that was getting the driveshaft to line up. Had the front wheels on the ground and the rear jacked up about a foot or so.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Radiator installed. Using the Breeze radiator mounting system. Seemed to worked out well. Right now it's set at about 51 degrees with adjustment room to get to 56.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Got most of the power steering hoses fabbed up, power steering fluid cooler, reservoir mounted and only lack the line going from the bottom of the reservoir to the pump. A straight fitting will work better than the 90 that I have on hand.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Trying posting photos using the Forum Albums...

about to wrap up the electrical (still waiting on the FiTech system, so a certain amount of wiring is in limbo).

Coolant plumbed

Using this method to post pics is easy and better than trying to use photobucket!
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12