BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Russ Thompson Turn Signal wiring

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take one symptom at a time. Even though they may or may not be related problems, tackling one issue at a time will keep things simple (or simpler). Also, a Power Probe is fantastic in these types of issues. A required tool when doing these types of projects, and especially diagnosing these types of problems.

As for the Blue (hi beam) light flashing with the hazards, sounds like it is hooked into the flashing/hazard circuit, where the Green (right turn) light should be. Start there. Begin at the dash blue light, and trace it back to where it is hooked into the system and where it's getting it's 12 volts. Do the same with the Green (right turn) dash light. That may be just simply swapping those two wires.

As for the headlights, they are independent of the turn signal system, so it should be it's own separate problem. Start by making sure you have 12v going to the switch. As EdwardB says, test power and proper wiring at each socket (in this case the headlight sockets, and later all of the turn/brake/parking light sockets.) Make sure the 12v is on the proper contact, and ground is on the proper contact, and in fact a good ground. Jump 12v to the headlight bulbs to make sure they work and are not the problem (again the Power Probe is awesome).

I just went through an issue of the green left turn dash indicator light illuminating when the brake pedal was pushed. Everything else in my lighting and electrical system worked perfectly, except that. It was a simple problem, that because of the behind the dash wiring and lack of room was not so easy to fix, but it simply was that that indicator light was wired to the REAR turn light, instead of the FRONT turn light. Simple, just not easy. But by starting at the dash indicator, and following it to where it got 12v power, I figured it out and I got it fixed.

Get a Power Probe.
    Last edited by boat737; 07-31-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread