Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Finishing a Wiring Diagram for My Build

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing a Wiring Diagram for My Build

It took A LOT of work; several weeks, in fact. But I’ve nearly completed my wiring diagram for my own specific Roadster.

I have the Ron Francis harness and have made a lot of changes to the stock harness during the build. I’ve cut wires, spiced into wires, and added wires. The diagram that RF gives is great, and I decided to base my own diagram off of theirs. With all of the additions that I’ve done, I really need something that I can refer to that has my particular car layout.
    On my build, I’ve added to the RF layout:

Two foot box fans, heater switch and motor, wiper switch and motor, dual front fans, cruise control w/ magnetic pickup and control switch, rear HAAT power distribution block, usb outlet and extra 12V supply, courtesy lights, competition dash with clock, disconnect switch, 3G alternator, remote charge terminals w/ disconnect, fitech efi, fitech control fuel pump, fitech control cooling fan, relay panel, extra horn, turn signal module, inline fuses, floor dimmer switch, etc.

I made the diagram with DraftSight 2017x64 and with the help of some office electrician’s knowledge of what a diagram needs to be helpful. DraftSight is free to use.
    It was hard to put the build on “pause” while I did this, but I am THRILLED with the result. I also found (2) mistakes in the wiring while laying out the diagram. I now understand ALL of the wiring, and am now comfortable with laying down the sheet metal and continuing with the build.

There is still work to be done on the diagram, but mostly on the dash. This is small stuff like the hazard switch, and labeling some of the details on the diagram. I will also be adding other items to the build as I go (ex. 12V outlets, more courtesy lights) but those can be added to the car and diagram relatively easily as I move forward.
    Because I've attached photographs, the wire labeling is small and cannot be seen on the attached photos due to image quality.

But all of these drawing are 11x17 pdfs and can be easily read on printouts and on screen.

20180217_100955 by D. R., on Flickr

6882 Roadster Wiring Diagram PG 1 by D. R., on Flickr

6882 Roadster Wiring Diagram PG 2 by D. R., on Flickr

6882 Roadster Wiring Diagram PG 3 by D. R., on Flickr

6882 Roadster Wiring Diagram PG 4 by D. R., on Flickr

6882 Roadster Wiring Diagram PG 5 by D. R., on Flickr

6882 Roadster Wiring Diagram PG 6 by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

2. Likes JDLSantos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Continuation from Previous Post:

6882 Roadster Wiring Diagram PG 7 by D. R., on Flickr

6882 Roadster Wiring Diagram PG 8 by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave

4. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work. I've done these for my work in the past. It doesn't look like this is your first time.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

6. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave-

Terrific work on this!! I am sure it will pay dividends for you in the future, or help you should you ever decide to sell her.

Really impressive job, and very professional looking! I am not sure if I would have the patience necessary to do this, but you have inspired me to give it some thought. I will have to check out the program you used, and see if I can give it a try. Like you, I am making quite a few alterations, and the stock diagrams would be useless.

Thanks for inspiring me to give it a try, and well done for your hard work and discipline!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, are you saying that's better than a stack of sticky notes?

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    NICE! . . . Very, very nice. Looks like you're on your way to a full-on "owners manual".

Keep up the GREAT! work Dave.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all very much guys. I'm very glad to have done this for the build, and thrilled with how it turned out.

If others are wanting to do this, I'll be happy to share my file so that you can save a ton of time and adapt it to your build.

Dave
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive work.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow
    well done Dave
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely incredible.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    Very nice. I have SolidWorks and have thought about DraftSight. Might test the demo version and subscribe.
    A friend has offered to assist with the wiring and I need help but I'd like to try my hand at the design.
    Like your design, I have things I want and others I don't need. Something about "normal" lacks appeal. Getting the design worked out from the beginning sure makes sense.
    Thank you for demonstrating what can be done.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I am intersted in the file so i dont have to start from scratch, that was or is my original plan to draw out the wiring for future use. The only drawings i can start with is anything i can find online!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    I am intersted in the file so i dont have to start from scratch, that was or is my original plan to draw out the wiring for future use. The only drawings i can start with is anything i can find online!
    I'll be happy to send the file to you. Please send me an email to [email protected]

For those of you who would like the file, please include your forum name. I like to see your builds too. Thanks.
    Last edited by DadofThree; 02-28-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. I'm a retired electrical engineer and always do drawings like these for all my projects. I feel it adds a lot value, makes future trouble shooting easier and will surely add to the resale value of the car if you ever decide to sell.
    Purchased and un-assembled Mk3 in 2016. 5.0, Aluminum heads, Performer RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel 650 carb, BBK headers T5, 3.55 rear solid axle, Koni Shocks, PS with Hydra-boost. Also own two restored vintage Mustangs, two Model A fords, 1941 Chevy truck and several other hot rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    Thank you all very much guys. I'm very glad to have done this for the build, and thrilled with how it turned out.

If others are wanting to do this, I'll be happy to share my file so that you can save a ton of time and adapt it to your build.

Dave
    Absolutely! Please post your files somewhere and share the links. The wiring is really the only part of the build that intimidates me so I could definitely use a tool like this to put those fears to rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great idea and super high quality. email sent and thank you so much for sharing.
    Ron
    MK4 # 9181 - Complete Kit - 408 EFI, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 2017-10-06
    Build Thread - http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...499#post299499