BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 818 SEMA Update WITH PICS!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dbjr63 View Post
    FYI, pic "818spyshotcockpit.jpg" was taken on 9.29.2012 at 12:34 PM (with a blackberry 9900)
    pic project818spyphoto3.jpg was taken on 9.24.2012 at 2:47 PM (with a blackberry 9900) edit with photoshop 7.0
    pic project818spyphoto5medium.jpg was taken on 9.15.2012 at 7:44 AM (with a blackberry 9900)
    pic project818spyphotomedium.jpg was taken on 9.22.2012 at 7:51 AM (with a blackberry 9900)

whoevery is still using the blackberry, plesae upgrade to a smartphone.
    ...says the only guy in the world using a Windows Phone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm still workin' my connections for more info. As soon as I get any I'll pass it along...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    I have a feeling the pictures posted were from middle of the summer and they have much further progression than they are letting on. If they had to fit all the chassis and body parts prep, paint etc on two cars and set up a third with a motor etc, they are nearly done. I think they are in fact done with all three for Sema at the end of the month. It just makes sense to be 100% complete before such event and not beating your head till the last day.
    I would be finishing it on the truck on the way to the show. For me, procrastination is an artform.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me too!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Me too!!!
    And me three!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flytosail View Post
    I would be finishing it on the truck on the way to the show. For me, procrastination is an artform.
    According to reality TV that's the only way its done.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree 100%, what do they say, its more fun to drive a slow car fast then it is to drive a fast car slow. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    I agree completely. In fact, the application of mega horsepower to this car might make it faster around the track, but it will also almost certainly make it much harder to drive -- and thus easier to get in trouble -- at least for us ordinary humans.

I gotta believe that this thing would be a treat to drive on a race track even in stock NA form.

Although my personal 818 Roadster is probably not destined for any track time, it will be plenty fast for street OR track pushing maybe 200 flywheel HP out of a moderately tweaked NA engine. Once built, I want to spend my time driving mine -- not working on it!
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    It would make sense to be 100% done well before the event, but I'd be willing to bet my roadster that its not the case. Keep in mind it was Dave who came up with the very exciting idea to bring 3 cars to SEMA. While I am sure Jim agreed it was a fantastic idea, I am pretty sure there is going to be plenty of head beating right up to the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    I have a feeling the pictures posted were from middle of the summer and they have much further progression than they are letting on. If they had to fit all the chassis and body parts prep, paint etc on two cars and set up a third with a motor etc, they are nearly done. I think they are in fact done with all three for Sema at the end of the month. It just makes sense to be 100% complete before such event and not beating your head till the last day.
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    Agree 100%, what do they say, its more fun to drive a slow car fast then it is to drive a fast car slow. :-)
    Awhile back there was a thread focused on this. I'm not wanting to hijack this one, so if anyone want to muse what would make a fun street car, please weigh in: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...akes-a-fun-818

Post Thanks / Like
    The suspense of seeing them complete is driving me insane. I will be refreshing this page every 5 minutes during SEMA......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BS Mods View Post
    The suspense of seeing them complete is driving me insane. I will be refreshing this page every 5 minutes during SEMA......
    Me too!

Danny
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    Have we got someone that is going to sema with a good phone camera and a commitment to uploading during the event?
    Last edited by Flamshackle; 10-09-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    Have we got someone that is going to sema with a good phone camera and a commitment to uploading during the event?
    Present and accounted for.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Still trying to finalize my travel plans for the fall...
    Tickets/hotel for F1 races in Austin are booked, now I just need to pull the trigger on the Vegas trip for SEMA!

CANT wait to see this thing in person and get my order in!
    1998 Subaru Forester
    Full 06' STI conversion
    Twin scroll low mount headers
    HX35/40 turbo, ITB Custom intake manifold

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    According to reality, thats the way it is most of the time.

Hmmm... I think thats why I sold the GTM !

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JRach View Post
    Still trying to finalize my travel plans for the fall...
    Tickets/hotel for F1 races in Austin are booked, now I just need to pull the trigger on the Vegas trip for SEMA!

CANT wait to see this thing in person and get my order in!
    You lucky SOB. I'm not able to travel to the race this year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    I always like the shows where one of the guys is starting on a drywall project (or something like that) when the host checks in on him, "We will check back with Steve later." Then the host goes off to where they make the drywall and then comes back to Steve just finishing up the drywall project like it took ten minutes to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Present and accounted for.

Thank you sir

Post Thanks / Like

pics

Quote Originally Posted by Racebrewer View Post
    WOW..... There will be a major responsibilty resting on the shoulders of the SEMA attendees.......

The rest of us want PHOTOS.... Tons of photos. Pack extra batteries and memory cards, please.<LOL>

John
    I guess that means I should take my camera.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    According to reality, thats the way it is most of the time.

Hmmm... I think thats why I sold the GTM !

David
    I agree.....it took all the self control that I could muster to keep it under 75 on the freeway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hmmm... I think thats why I sold the GTM !David
    Hi David,

How would you build an 818 for yourself?

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David,

Cheers!
    How would I build it..? Stock street car with the colored body panels and a nice 250-300 HP turbo motor. I have yet to have a turbo powered sports car, and have really wanted one. Whats remarkable about this car, is one can build a car for well under 20k and at that price I wouldnt feel like its got to be perfect and you could pound on it without guilt.

Up until now I had been back and forth about building one due to styling until this thread and Daves new pics . Athstetics are just as important as whats under the skin for me. The mechanicals I have nevered worried about. Ive known Jim for well over a decade and have talked with him about this project several times. He is a super solid engineer and have been nothing but impressed with how he has gone about designing the car. From what Ive seen, the chassis etc is beautiful. Chassis and suspension is kind of a hobby of mine and while Im no expert, Ive been really impressed with his work and how he has gone about things.

Ive been a fan of the rear bodywork of FFR's design from early on, but not as much of the front. Dave Smith promised hair on fire styling. Honestly, now I think they delivered. With the release of the new pictures our good man David H has posted.... it...welll... lit my hair on fire. and Im stoked how the whole shape has turned out.

Historically the FFR cars have had a good presence in pictures but a killer presence in person. The GTM was that way. I wasnt blown away with the pictures but about crapped my pants when seeing it complete for the first time at knotts. I was first in line and ended up building one that I had for about 4 years.(the GTM my good friend danpellow above is refering to)

At least from my perspective, the pictures that have been posted on this thread have really fired me up, so I suspect seeing it in person at SEMA in a couple weeks will be that much better. Honestly its pissin me off(hehehe), because Im still knee deep in my current build so cant move on one till thats complete. It will between this and another car that makes me tingle, a long nose 911 hotrod.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the detailed reply David!

I have followed your builds with interest for years. The 818 has been the car I have been waiting to build. I am a little torn between a straight 818 street build and tweaking the race frame to give it working doors and a passenger seat and windshield. Perhaps a bolt on brace across the rear shock mounts (like aftermarket strut braces) could potentially replace the lateral brace which would interfere with the passenger seat. Central braces could extend between the seats parallel to the side tubes. It may no longer be a certified race frame but might serve my plans for fun with a extra measure of protection.
    The picture of the 818r frame is a work of art. I expect the body is going to have a racing presence like a Lotus 211 but maybe more aggressive. Like you, I look forward to photos but will not be at SEMA and will have to wait until it gets back to the Northeast. I am fortunate to live within a couple hour's drive from FFR.
    Perhaps FFR will consider a post SEMA coming out party / victory lap (perhaps in a few places across the US on its way back home) so we can experience the 818 in person and congratulate/ thank Jim and the entire team personally.

Cheers!
    Last edited by FFR-ADV; 10-10-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR-ADV View Post
    Hi David,

Cheers!
    With tools?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    With tools?
    Yeah, that too...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The car looks amazing. I have a Lotus 211 in the shop right now and was just commenting on how simple it's design is how much fun it would be if it was street legal. I think the 818R is just as good looking. The 211 on my dyno made 210 RWHP and weighed 1633 with about 1/2 tank of gas on my scales (35.5%fr, 64.5%rr). The 818 will be supremely fun with 300 RWHP.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    With tools?
    Place tools in shop
    Add money
    Place donor in shop
    Add money
    Place kit in shop
    Add money
    Stir, but do not shake

Say magic words and Presto out comes an 818

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Magic word is "MasterCard"

Can use substitute Visa or Discover
    The 818 will make you feel like superman
    ... which you are not ...
    And will send you into the afterlife quicker than anything if you think you are
    ... to the sound of Darwin laughing

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to see the 818 in person last week, I can confirm that the pictures posted were real time. They had 4 people working on the cars and they looked just like the pics posted. It will be a race to the finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps FFR will consider a post SEMA coming out party / victory lap (perhaps in a few places across the US on its way back home) so we can experience the 818 in person and congratulate/ thank Jim and the entire team personally.
    That sounds like an excellent idea! Seems like it would take some doing to coordinate though, and it sounds like FFR has their hands full just getting it all to SEMA in time. Maybe even if they just had such a gathering at the FFR facilities once it gets back home? Not everyone would get to see it, but many would, more pics, more opinions here.

If people hear from those whose opinions they respect that it looks better in person than even in pics, that will be very useful to the overall community here on 818 HoF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Place tools in shop
    Add money
    Place donor in shop
    Add money
    Place kit in shop
    Add money
    Stir, but do not shake

Say magic words and Presto out comes an 818

Cheers!
    Thats true of the GTM. . But with the 818 you should be able to remove 2 of those 'money's'.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully they will show the cars outside SEMA for us "common/un-connected" people. Maybe have a showing-get together in Vegas before or after the show, and then a few places on the way back home to the East Coast. I would fly down to check them out. It beats having to fly clear to the East Coast for a viewing. I think they should also get an invite to the Ultima Street Car Challenge out at Spring Mountain Motorsports Park the day after SEMA, provided the cars are track ready and up for the challenge. But then again is it fair to bring a $20,000 car to clean up on the competition? HELL YES!!!! I plan on trying the local challenge once the coupe model comes out, when ever that might be. I'm just not a fan of roadsters and I like a roof over my head on my track cars. So I guess I will have to wait a while for my 818 coupe. By the way I still vote for the Vantage design for the coupe model. Please, Please, Please

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you kidding me? Borden just gives the parts an angry look and they line up and drop into place. Suggesting David needs tools to build a car is like suggesting that Chuck Norris needs a key to open a door!

With tools?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by someday i suppose View Post
    are you kidding me? Borden just gives the parts an angry look and they line up and drop into place. Suggesting david needs tools to build a car is like suggesting that chuck norris needs a key to open a door!
    hahahahahahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So, anybody interested in a small update?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I suggest you post the small update before a mob forms outside your house!

Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd drive to Vegas Fri. or Sat. if there was a FFR event to showcase the cars. Don't know if Dave can spare the time , getting the 818 out on time for sale is the highest priority. I'm sure we'll see the 818 at Huntington Beach and possibly the kit car show in Pomona next spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Is everyone viewing this board feverishly hitting refresh right now?

[Hint: Yes ]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still waiting!!!!

Danny
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast