Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 SEMA Update WITH PICS!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by prematureapex View Post

The first 818 prototype uses a 2.5l engine, more speciifcally, a 2006 WRX donor.

An 06-07 2.5l WRX donor is certainly on the list. The posutulation has been on whether or not the STi six speed will work. But the 2.5l in the STi (which is almost identical to the 2.5l in the later WRXs) will certainly work.
    I stand corrected. I had thought that the WRX kept its 2.0 liters through 2007, and that the 2.5 was reserved for the STi. It turns out that the 2.5 was offered in the WRX for those years, but with only a 3 hp jump from 227 to 230 hp. As discussed in another thread, though, sticking to the smaller displacement would be of benefit for the 818R to keep you in the "E modified" class. Plus, I'm sure that it will look at lot cooler for SEMA with twin turbo piping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BipDBo View Post
    I stand corrected. I had thought that the WRX kept its 2.0 liters through 2007, and that the 2.5 was reserved for the STi. It turns out that the 2.5 was offered in the WRX for those years, but with only a 3 hp jump from 227 to 230 hp. As discussed in another thread, though, sticking to the smaller displacement would be of benefit for the 818R to keep you in the "E modified" class. Plus, I'm sure that it will look at lot cooler for SEMA with twin turbo piping.
    Just as a side note. The 2.5l WRX engine makes a good bit more than 3hp over the 2.0l. Pay that factory rating no mind. In fact, the HP curves for the stock 2.5l just about match an average off-the-self tune w/a turboback exhaust on a 2.0l WRX, until about 5k RPMs. Aka, until the upper RPM range, the stock 2.5l is as strong as a "stage II" 2.0l.

Modified to modified, while they both acheive about the same top end power (the small turbo is the limiting factor on both engines), the 2.5l is a monster in the midrange compared to the 2.0l.

Anyway, off topic sorry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BipDBo View Post
    No. 2.0L is the max displacement for DM cars (un boosted I believe). Emod allows unlimited displacement if you meet the 1800lb requirement (plus an additional 50lb modified tub requirement).

The 2.5's made about the same hp, but more torque, and the boost was turned down from factory IIRC. The 2.0's had 14.5psi, the 2.5's had around 12psi.

I don't think full blown finished pics should be posted, but either teasers (ie, closeups of specific sections, lights 1/2 on type pics) or in process (guys working on a car, 1/2 finished chassis, etc) would be awesome to see!

You can always post a new thread saying "818 pics here, don't look if you don't want to see it".
    Last edited by Mechie3; 09-24-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed to this thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post

The 2.5's made about the same hp, but more torque, and the boost was turned down from factory IIRC. The 2.0's had 14.5psi, the 2.5's had around 12psi.
    That's not true.

Your average peak WHP was about 20 more on most dynos 2.5 vs. 2.0 (190 whp vs. about 170 whp, of course dyno-dependent on 180 vs. 160, 190 vs. 170, etc.). Needless to say, throughout the range, the 25l is kicking the 2.0ls butt as well.

Again, the 2.5l makes as much power as a stage II 2.0l, until you get into the upper RPMs.

It is a more powerful engine, despite the manufacturer's specs. Clearly it's underrated from the factory. Trap speeds reflect the added power as well.

This is Cobb's dyno, stock 2.5 vs. OTS stage II 2.0l:

Stock 2.0l to stage 2 2.0l aren't even close, it gains signficant power all over the range:

C/N: You're lucky to have a 2.5l.
    Last edited by prematureapex; 09-24-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave has the body changed from the last rendering shown (the one on the wall in the picture above), or would you be showing us what we already expect just in the flesh?
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    Dave has the body changed from the last rendering shown (the one on the wall in the picture above), or would you be showing us what we already expect just in the flesh?
    I would say that from what I've seen, there are small details around the parting lines and headlights that I never saw mentioned in previous threads, and there are roll hoop differences on the 818R.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)