I've had my eye on building a roadster for years, and had a 1999 Mustang GT as a daily drive up until last Friday. While sitting at a red light I got plowed into by another motorist. Insurance is considering the car a total loss. Donor-wise it's only side body and rear axle damage, so it's still in ok shape for a donor. The problem is I'm not really sure I'm ready yet time-wise or financially to dive into the build. I'm considering getting hold of the manual and doing the donor tear down and storing the parts for a few years.

How helpful is it to keep the donor around during the build? For missed parts or anything else?

Would I be better off just selling off this car and either going non-donor or jumping on a donor and kit when i'm ready? If anyone is looking for a donor near or in Illinois (far west burbs of Chicago) I could probably be talked into letting it go really cheap. It's a high mileage GT, about 200k but the engine and trans still run fine. Suspension parts are all brand new, literally less than 1000 miles on the control arm bushings, steering rack, tie rods, ball joints, even new rotors brakes and calipers.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.