Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

4 post lift

Not much to report on the pcm issues. Waiting to hear back from Ford. Anxious to get that resolved.

I have been thinking about and looking at lifts for a while. Ordered a 4 post yesterday and it should be here about February 1. I am excited to get that up and running.
    I went with the Bend Pak HD-9XW. It is long enough,wide enough and with enough lift that I can park my F-150 with the 4 door crew cab underneath it. My primary purpose of the lift is for storage allowing me to park all my cars indoors (truck has been outside since I got the Cobra) but I am sure it will be very handy for working on the Cobra and anything else I would like to do with my other vehicles. This lift has a 9000 lb capacity. Interestingly there is a chart that shows with shorter wheelbases you are limited on how much you can lift. For the 90" wheelbase Cobra that reduces you to about 42% of the rated max so about 3800lbs. That is still plenty obviously. I guess the further away the wheels are sitting from the corner posts the less weight you can load on it.

The lift has some available options. I got the drip trays that go between the ramps. They offer a very nice looking pneumatic scissor jack that goes between the ramps. I am considering that and may add that to my order before it ships next week. They also offer longer approach ramps that are made for low ride height vehicles. From the data I got I think the Cobra should work nicely with the standard ramps that are included. If not I will order the longer ramps later.

I have a main garage with a high ceiling and a high lift garage door opener that will provide ample room for the lift. My basement garage is where I keep all my tools and have been building the Cobra but it is to small for this lift. I will have to see if the lift will end up causing me to migrate all my tools upstairs. If I send the wife down to park in the basement garage I am not sure how well that will go over! haha

The lift has either a 110 or 220 motor. The lift time was about 45 seconds with the 220 and 90 with the 110. The 110 motor has a high amp draw and they recommend a 30 amp breaker. That exceeds my current garage outlets capability and since I am going to need to beef up the electrical anyways I decided to go with the 220 motor. Luckily the main power box for the house is right on the outside wall of the garage so running a 220 line and outlet should be pretty simple. I have an electrician friend coming over to help me with that.

They quoted me about $800 to install the lift. Decided that was not worth it and it would be fun to do myself. The delivery options where either pick it up at the freight terminal or have it brought to the house. If they brought it to the house you are responsible for getting it off the delivery truck yourself. The package is 17' long and about 2100 lbs. I do not have a forklift so I decided it would be best to pick it up at the freight terminal. They will load it onto your trailer there. I plan to just back the trailer with the loaded package into my garage and then use my engine hoist to pick it up off the trailer and have a couple buddies stabilize the ends to keep it from swinging. Then drive the trailer out from under it and set it down. Once I do that we can start unpacking the individual pieces. Im thinking at 2100 lbs the heaviest piece are probably the ramps and those should be maybe 400lbs each. That should be manageable with the help of friends. Pretty much everyone on my street has helped me on this project at some point along the way. We are blessed with some amazing neighbors that are always willing to help.

If anyone has experience unpacking one of these or moving the package around any tips or lessons learned are appreciated.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 01-18-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides