Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm far from this step but have been giving it some thought lately. I was wondering what sins the foam covered. Sounds like the surface has to be pretty smooth and blemish free. Good to know.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I did come to find out the foam was not as forgiving as I hoped. The area where I installed the fill piece around the shifter hole is visible underneath the leather. I used some flush mount rivets and riveted that piece on from the top. If I were to do it again I would have riveted that piece from the bottom and then made a fill piece so everything fit perfectly flush. It is not really noticeable and won't be particularly when the shifter boot is in place but if I ever do it again I will be sure to do it from below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I'm far from this step but have been giving it some thought lately. I was wondering what sins the foam covered. Sounds like the surface has to be pretty smooth and blemish free. Good to know.
    -Steve
    Looking great Scott. The leather look on the transmission cover is nice. There really isn't anything about foam or covering, whether vinyl or leather, that's forgiving. If there's a bump or imperfection in the base surface, it's going to picture through to the final covering. Get it dead flat and smooth. I use JB Weld for filler if necessary. It sands out nicely. Even dents in the foam will show. Ask me how I know. I had to do one of my door panels over because of that.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Looking great Scott. The leather look on the transmission cover is nice. There really isn't anything about foam or covering, whether vinyl or leather, that's forgiving. If there's a bump or imperfection in the base surface, it's going to picture through to the final covering. Get it dead flat and smooth. I use JB Weld for filler if necessary. It sands out nicely. Even dents in the foam will show. Ask me how I know. I had to do one of my door panels over because of that.
    Paul,
    Those flush mount rivets you mentioned did not show through so I was happy about that. You cant even tell the brackets for the hidden mounts are there so that is good. For the shifter hole fill piece I am just planning on people staring at my fighter stick shift and wondering why the heck that is in a car! They shouldn't even notice the other imperfections with that visual distraction! haha
    It didn't occur to me I should have mounted that below until after the fact. Learning as I go. I will just add that to the file for next time!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides