Time to post the official graduation thread for my #8442 Mk4 Roadster. The car was legal and insured early in the build process (before Go Cart) as WA State DOL didn’t require an inspection. I went into DOL with my MSO and complete kit invoice from Factory five along with my 1965 restored plates. I paid my taxes and lifetime collector registration. Title came in the mail about 2 weeks later showing 1965 MkIV Roadster.

Building a Cobra replica has been a dream for the past 30+ years. The week before my 50th B-day August 2014 I did a google search and found Factory Five and once I watched Dave Smith’s sales video on the MK IV I was sold. The online order form for a complete kit was quickly completed taking advantage of the 50/50 sale. The next 2 months gave me time to think about how I wanted the car to look and which Small block ford I would use, More on that in a bit.

At the end of October when the kit was ready for Stewart Transport I jump on a flight cross country from Bellingham, WA to Boston. BIG thanks to Factory Five group especially Dan G. for spending a ˝ day with me giving me the tour of the manufacturing process and taking pictures of 8442 in the shipping rack. Kudos to them for making a quality product that’s accessible to us average guys. I also want to thank the many forum vendors – Fortes, Breeze, Dark Water Custom, **********, Russ Thompson, Mike Everson, FFMetals, Herb Frasier – who helped me spend my money, but more importantly provide great service and products. Big thanks to all my forum friends for their support, Paul-EdwardB, Jeff Kliener and now good friend Jeff-Rotorcraft in Snohomish, WA and Finally my brother Ron Miller who in Jan 2015 had a heart attack and triple by-passes. He spent many hours over the next 3 months in my shop completing cardiac rehab with 1/8" drill bits, pneumatic rivet gun, soldering iron and wire crimpers in hand.

My goal for the non-donor build was going to be an authentic look without going overboard on modifications. Engine choice was to be a carb’d 331 stroker small block Windsor. T5 5-speed, 3 link w/ 3.73 gears, mechanical throttle linkage, heater, FFR low back Leather seats, single chrome roll bar, Stainless side pipes, 15” Halibrands with GoodYear BillBoards. Purchased wiper kit but decided during build not to install them.

For the engine, I decided to go 331 vs 347 stroker which I had built for my 65 Mustang a few years back. Started at a friend Tyler Kings machine shop with a 1990 302 block installing the Scat stoker kit with Mahle pistons. Bottom end finished up with a Canton Main Cap Girdle and Canton Windage Tray. Oil pan is aluminum Cobra T-Pan that I’ve had for 30 years. The top end has a Comp Cams 35-522-8 Extreme Energy hydraulic roller cam, AFR 185 heads and an original 1965 Shelby S1MS-9424A Cobra Intake and new Holly 4150 650 DP Carb. Valve covers are also vintage Aluminum Cobra. Belt drive is stock 1965 v-belt pulleys. Oil cooler from ********** and 185 degree sandwich thermostat controls oil flow (not needed but sure looks good along with twin fans).

The rest of the drivetrain is a Ford Racing billet flywheel, Stock bell housing, Ford Racing clutch, Tremec T-5 , Metco Motorsports safety loop, Ford 8.8 Trac-Loc solid rear with 3:73 gears and Summit axles and Ford Racing Axle Girdle cover.

The chassis came powder coated from FFR, all aluminum panels were Silver powder coated, Lizard skin sound and thermal insulation in the cockpit and trunk, .090 firewall from FFMetals. Breeze front Battery tray and Breeze upper and lower Radiator hose were installed

The electrical system is kit provided Ron Francis wiring harness, stock FFR lighting all around except for Lucas Tri-Bar headlights. Speed hut gauges and LED foot well courtesy lighting. Ignition and light switch is 1965 Mustang. Kit provided toggle switches control turn signal, hi/lo beam, emergency flashers and dual pusher fans.

The paint is by Corvette Specialties in Surrey, BC Canada. The color is Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon white strips. The body is undercoated with Herculiner and Alex custom Interiors provided the wheel well liners. Sun Tech Clear Bra was applied to the entire front nose up to hood opening and fronts of the rear fenders for chip protection from the sticky BillBoards. Other interior highlights are Herb Fraser custom door panels made from left over dash material that matches the leather seats. Russ Thompson accelerator pedal Mike Everson under dash tray, steering dash bezel and trunk lid struts.

I have logged 700 quick miles so far and look forward to the rest of the spring and summer driving weather.

With one FFR under my belt I have a strong desire to build a FFR 289 FIA car with 331 and IDA 48 weber setup.

Happy building everyone!

Graduation Photo 1.jpgGraduation Photo 2.jpgGraduation Photo 3.jpgGraduation Photo 4.jpgService Station29.jpg