FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: 20th Anniversary MK4 Build Thread - #10 of 20 - #8697

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've let myself get behind on my build posts but I just updated another thread with the information about my headers so I thought I would go ahead and post it here too and get the thread updates started. As stated earlier, I went the custom Header mockup route with GP Headers - they do very nice quality work and are easy to work with. They nudged me in the custom mockup direction for the 351w based on the different heads that could be used on that engine and the slight variations they see. They sent me the jigs in the photo posted previously and had me mount them and tighten them up with the Sidepipes lined up where I wanted them. This is not an easy one man job...

I first had to set the body on and get it positioned as close to the final position as I could. This included aligning the doors as it impacts the location of the body under the doors and therefore the alignment of the pipes. Once the body was where I wanted it, I mounted the jigs and tightened up the bolts to lock in the location for the sidepipes. The bolts and lock washers that they had on the jig had been used a few times and were not exactly smooth in operation. In retrospect, I probably should have replaced them as there was either some movement during shipping or the GP guys did not match the drivers side correctly.

I actually left the body mounted in the exact same position from the time that I mocked up the jigs until the finished headers were delivered and mounted so I could be sure of the accuracy of the header fabrication (took about 8 weeks out of my build activities but I had other things going on too). The location that the headers exit the body was perfect on both sides but the direction that the side pipes follow down the side of the body was about 1/2" off on the passenger side and a little over 2" off on the drivers side. They offered to have me cut the header down the weld where the O2 sensor bung is and then tack it into place and send it back to them to correct it. I was prepared to do that but I decided to try a couple of the wedges first and they lined up perfectly so I'm just going to stick with them. I have the headers installed now with Remflex Gaskets and Stage 8 locking bolts.

Here is a shot of the Headers upon delivery:

And here is a shot of the drivers side installed on the car with the misalignment. Note that the sidepipe touches the car and still has a gap at the header.

As noted in my previous post, I had ordered the new Factory Five Drivers Side Footbox Panels to get a little more space for my feet and my headers. After installing the headers I decided that there was plenty of room with the old inside panel and since the new inside panel was not compatible with the Russ Thompson throttle pedal, I decided not to use it. (free to a good home if anyone wants it). I also wound up just robbing the expansion metal from the outside footbox panel and reusing my original panel with the 20th anniversary powder coating. Turned out to be a pretty expensive way to get another 1.5" for my foot but I'm glad I have it.

Here is the outside footbox panel with the expansion metal (and lizard skin applied):

I'll try to get more updates soon as I'm pretty far behind.
    Last edited by RRussellTx; 07-30-2017 at 04:05 PM.