Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kit cars have come a long way

Post Thanks / Like

Kit cars have come a long way

I ran in to this fellow last weekend. He did not build it, but has had it for several decades. The original builder put in all aircraft gauges and had several other nice touches.
    The current owner likes the car but does not have much passion about owning (or maintaining) it. In the passenger area (no seat) there was a full sized floor jack, weed wacker, various tools, yesterdays lunch, etc. He could not reach the shifter while sitting in his modified office chair propped up with a milk crate drivers seat, so he bolted on a 4" extension to the top of the knob to bring it closer. Little touches like this are everywhere on this car. I'm not putting any of this down or making fun of it. It is a 30+ year old car, and he uses it the way he wants. It just makes me wonder where my car will be in 30+ years. I've put so much time, effort, and cash into this thing; I'd like to think my kit car will have a little more of a glamorous life.

The owner did talk a briefly about the performance of it. He says that it has a built VW motor and weighs 1200lbs.

IMG_1116.JPG IMG_1115.JPG IMG_1114.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The rear window looks like a cover from a tornado shelter
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    To me- guys like that are why "kit car builders" have a hard time being taken seriously, and face issues in your country and mine with registration and insurance.

Nothing against you being polite about him or his car- BUT if that was a faded, on it's last legs 1973 impala with a plywood rear window, half missing interior filled with garden tools, and a "modified office chair propped up with a milk crate drivers seat" you'd probably join me (and a LOT of other people) screaming for that unsafe P.O.S. to be taken off the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    This reminds me of a video posted years ago on the FFCars forum that showed how to use household extension cords, junction boxes and switches to wire a kit car. Yup, we've come a long way and some will never get over it and erase their image of the Fiero Ferrari.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of Fiero, I recognize those headlights...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Speaking of Fiero, I recognize those headlights...
    The Bradley GTII had that type of pop up in the late 70's IIRC, I remember them being round lights though so these are sketchy. I don't think that those are Fiero lights

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...o/DSC05570.jpg

http://bradleygt2.com/photos/Rondeau/newcar3.jpg
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    When I look at that photos, I can't believe I ever wanted a Bradley GT years ago. Then again, I wanted a Fiero,, too. But I was 16 and stupid (as opposed to 50 and slightly less stupid now).

Post Thanks / Like
    I had fun thrashing my Fiero V6
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    For me it was a Kelmark GT I drooled over as a kid.

haha - yeah I remember the Fieros too. When I was growing up my dad looked at buying one - dealer gave it to us for the weekend to try and convince him. He bought a Toyota Supra instead.

I remember someone telling me the V6 Fiero's liked to have engine fires. Is that urban legend or reality?

Post Thanks / Like
    The original L4 Fieros burned in awesome colors. No urban legend... The L4 was known for bad rods, add in low oil levels and oil dumped onto a hot exhaust and Cat, poof big time fires. I seem to recall that the rod problem was so bad that about 10% of the motors had issues.

I was very competitive, PAX wise on small lots, tons of torque vs the 4 cylinder competition from the original MR2 and the TVRs that ran with us.

A Supra isn't in the same zip code as a Fiero
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what he was towing? It might explain the rear glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    For me it was a Kelmark GT I drooled over as a kid.

I liked the Kelmark, too. My absolute favorites were the original Manta Mirage and the Laser 917.
    Last edited by the_tool_man; 12-09-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    The original L4 Fieros burned in awesome colors. No urban legend... The L4 was known for bad rods, add in low oil levels and oil dumped onto a hot exhaust and Cat, poof big time fires. I seem to recall that the rod problem was so bad that about 10% of the motors had issues.

I was very competitive, PAX wise on small lots, tons of torque vs the 4 cylinder competition from the original MR2 and the TVRs that ran with us.

A Supra isn't in the same zip code as a Fiero
    I am bias because I own a restored 85 MR2 but I feel the MR2 had a far better fit an finish compared to the fiero by far, from interior to the exterior everything about seemed like a far better quality built car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I won't admit that as a highschooler/college kid I used to look at the Fierarri's on ebay.

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Downunder we didn't have many choices when I was growing up, but I always wanted a Purvis Eureka. It was locally produced, was light, and very different
    Purvis.png

Post Thanks / Like
    They sold those here too... http://www.sterlingsportscars.com/ I have almost every kit car magazine published in the US since 1981, always wanted to build my own car!

The Sterling has a very sexy shape
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the gull wing doors. I have always felt that 'special' sportscars should have un-conventional doors. I know they are difficult to get working properly, but they add a certain flair that is hard to replace any other way, in my opinion. I will at least investigate the possibility of making my 818 doors scissor-style. Maybe one of the lambo-door kits could be adapted to achieve this. Preferably it would have gullwing or a-pillar hinged, but those are even harder to implement!

In the end I will 'settle' for conventional doors, but owning a countach, delorean, McLaren F1, etc, is still on my bucket list! I like that Elon Musk has gone out on a limb with the new Tesla with powered gullwing rear doors, and power-opening front doors.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 818 door is so light that it would make a great candidate for a scissor style door. I don't know if there is room under the fender behind the wheel to clear the hinge mechanism though. It might look stupid and not be worth the effort, but if I try it, I will be sure to post some pictures for reference. Ever since my dad's friend pulled into my driveway in his brand new 1987 Countach 5000s, I have forever been consumed by scissor doors! Lame...I know.....