FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Admin Commentary on Elan NP01 "Build Thread" <-- Please read

Post Thanks / Like
    Good response Dave. As a manufacturer myself you can't be afraid of competitors products. If you make a good product and are able to stand behind it you never have anything to worry about.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW:

David Hodgkins, I appreciate people like you putting in the time to keep the forum running smoothly. Nobody will ever reimburse you for the work and frustration that you endure, but you do it anyway. Thank you. That I would have done the same as you did doesn't really matter, but fyi anyway. I don't post much, but I have been around through the old old forum, the new old forum (the vegetarian one), the new new forum (both software versions), and now this one, and I just appreciate having a place to go.

Dave Smith, thank you for the reply and the clarification. I appreciate your openness and embrace of competition. It shows a lot of confidence as well as integrity. Also, thank you for providing the product that you do. I have had my car on the road since '07 and still love the thing every time I drive it, which is every non-rainy, 38F plus day.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We've created a new Sub Forum called Off Topic - Other Build Threads. The forum description reads as follows, for now:

"Use this forum to document non-FFR builds. PLEASE NOTE: Thread starter MUST own the item being built, AND must either own a Factory Five currently or be a previous owner/builder of a Factory Five. Sorry, no non-FFR Cobra-type (SPF, BDR for example) builds allowed."

Here's a link to the new forum:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum...-Build-Threads

I've moved all known non-FFR build threads into this new forum. If you have a thread that you would like to be moved over to the new forum, kindly send me a PM and I'll move it for you.

Chad's thread has been moved to the new forum and re-opened:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...avan-Racing-02

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

4. Thanks DSR-3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Sorry, no non-FFR Cobra-type (SPF, BDR for example) builds allowed."
    Let me get this straight, so after personally owning, building, rebuilding, restoring, and finishing 17 FFR roadsters (working on more than three dozen other FFR's), plus the finishing off and making roadworthy the original Silver prototype Spyder, I am unable to share my trials and tribulations of building another Cobra replica if it is not an FFR?

Dave Smith, care to comment on this question? You have my cell, feel free to call or text if you don't want to respond in this public forum.

Bill S.

PS: United we stand, divided we fail.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though I disagreed with initial analysis of the NP01 thread, I commend David Hodgkins for soliciting feedback from the community. I'm sure his role as moderator is largely thankless and time consuming and that balancing everyone's interests, feelings, etc is no easy task.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bill, I thought my focus on the building of the FFR community would make this a question most of us can agree on. I commend Dave Hodgkins for changing his mind and accommodating Chad with a new Off Topic Build section. The guy did some impressive things with his car and while I don't always agree with what he posts, I hold him in high regard and sincerely appreciate his knowledge and fellowship, as I do yours. Dave Hodgkins originally asked the community for feedback, so don't forget that he is doing such a great job of bringing important questions to the community rather than using a heavy hand. He is doing this for the exact reason that its important that people know this is a community.

The numerous builds you've been involved in have been commendable and I personally appreciate your feedback and knowledge. You personally called me out for a decade for not producing a FIA version for you (despite the complexities of our business and I'd like to think I've made a few good decisions and also with the timing of the FIA development and ultimate release), and while that was annoying in the extreme, we are friends and just because we don't agree on everything doesn't mean we can't share great fellowship.

But, more to your question, I agree with Dave. I don't want this forum used to promote competitors, many of whom have no forum, no advertising budget and no dog in this race. Competitors often target our Facebook Likes, our events, and our email lists (tried and failed). The off topic build forum is a great olive branch to make sure that non-ffr builds of particular interest are heralded here and celebrated. I want everyone to learn and grow and build. Still, I agree with Dave here and if you are planning on documenting your Superformance engine install you would be best served by doing so on their forum, especially IF you are ever engaged in any business of buying and selling, in which case you are fishing in the wrong pond. I hope you can understand my logic here and know that I respect you and value your friendship. Certainly open to any other ideas. Keep in mind my posts today bring my posts in 2016 to less than 10.

Now I'm heading out the door to see "Deadpool" with Denise (it was my turn to pick!).

Dave Smith
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave and David. I do agree everything should of been handled differently. The outcome is that we are all builders, and love seeing different ideas.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Deadpool was hilarious! (but not for the kiddies).

Chad! I'd love to see your 1972 911T build here for sure! When I got out of college, I took the obligatory cross-country road trip (remember "drive-aways") and spent a month in so cal and then south into Mexico. Ran out of money and called Dad who said "you got yourself out there, you find your own way home". A friend of my dads in New Hampshire had an old 1969 911T in Salt Lake City being restored and it was complete so all I had to do was get there, scratch up some gas money and I could drive it back east for free! I took a bus to Salt Lake City in and found the shop. Mr. Riman (911T owner) had already paid the shop and all I had to do was give them the password "swordfish". I walked into the shop and the guy behind the counter looked me up and down. After two months of living out of a backpack I probably looked like I had crawled out of a dumpster. He said, "can i help you kid?" I said only one word, "Swordfish". He said, "I'll get the porsche".

I drove I80 east across Wyoming and headed back east. I made it home with literally 10 bucks left. The trip was one to remember and I fell in love with the car for sure. I'd be happy to read about bringing that car back to life for sure.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Good solution.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Plavan: I have never met you, have never read any of your posts or observed your work. Based solely on the various comments in this thread alone, It is clear that you have been a significant and helpful addition to this forum to several, probably many, other builders. However, again based solely on your posts in this thread, your comments did strike me as rather superior, untouchable. I have made the mistake of coming off too strong. It is hard in print to strike just the right balance. Misunderstandings occur all the time. It appears that these people are your friends, not faceless unknowns. While I couldn't call either of these gentlemen, it sounds like you could have but either didn't think of it or chose not to. Either way, life is too short to be mad over something as inconsequential as a build thread. Call your friends, mend the fences, get beyond the hurt, the bruised ego. Buy each other a round of your favorite adult beverage. In the end, you are needed on this forum, and we all need each other.

Dave and David: Thank you for your transparency and honesty. Operating a forum is a thankless task, one that very few realize is a huge personal time commitment. So I will say it clearly: Thank you for this forum. Having sat in your chair, David, I know how difficult the "grey" questions become. I fully back your decision.

Submitted with the humblest of hearts, because I have been on both sides of this fence,

Jazzman
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12