Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Lost spinner

Post Thanks / Like

Lost spinner

Hello everyone,

I'm a recent buyer of a Roadster and just had a mishap.
    While driving down the interstate one of my 15" Halibrand replica wheel spinners took off on me. Fortunately it didn't hit any other cars, however since it was on the interstate I was unable to recover it and I doubt it would still have been usable.
    My question to all is, where can I buy another one?
    The spinner wasn't a threaded on type but had two 'O' rings that held it on, or was supposed to hold it on.
    If I do get another one I'll be safety wiring all of them in place.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    They have them on Factory Five's parts page...

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/1537...eaded-spinner/

Could that be modified to work?
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    The O-ring ones are not FFR. I think PS Engineering does the O-ring ones. You won't have to wait long to get a 100% answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mk1 has the O ring type spinners. Pretty sure it came from FFR. I’d send them an email.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear it! Even more sorry it is the older style. I just happen to have one extra thread on style spinner, and I would have sent it to you. I ended up having to replace one of the threaded cups, and the only way it came was with the spinner. (Why did I have to replace it? Don't ask! Lets just say it was educational!!) Good luck finding the right piece.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    This was posted on the other forum with regards to o-ring type spinners.

Try this. They bought the business from Phil and should be able to help you.

PS Engineering
    471 W. Imperial Hwy
    La Habra, CA 90631
    (714)278-1600 - phone
    (714)278-1604 - fax
    or E-Mail [email protected]
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    This was posted on the other forum with regards to o-ring type spinners.

Try this. They bought the business from Phil and should be able to help you.

PS Engineering
    471 W. Imperial Hwy
    La Habra, CA 90631
    (714)278-1600 - phone
    (714)278-1604 - fax
    or E-Mail [email protected]
    Thanks to everyone for your responses.
    I will be calling PS Engineering soon to see if I can buy just one spinner.
    I don't know how to thank each of you individually, so thanks to all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, PSE spinners were like that. Just what I have on my car!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought, but if you want to ensure you don't lose another (and add a bit of old-school look to your car), you may want to add some safety wire, like they did to the race cars back in the day.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

10. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the spinner is only secured by popping it in with orings, like the OP, I'd be concerned that the safety wire would allow it to sling around at the length of the wire if it came off. The wheel is spinning, the wire will slide to the outside, and that spinner might eat up some very expensive bodywork.

However, if one were to add another strand of safety wire in the proper place, it may keep it somewhat in check and not allow it to sling out. You could also wire it to a wheel spoke thats more inline with the spinner spoke... that may help hold it in.

Just thinking out loud. I dont have these type wheels or spinners.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

12. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Boydster. Good idea with thread-ons. But if an O-ring mounted one came off and was tethered to the wheel it would cause serious damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had PSE wheels and spinners in the old days. One of the best things I can recommend is to replace the o-rings on a regular basis, and to lube them with a light coating of lithium grease so that they do not get hard and crack. I used to get my o-rings from ace hardware, and they were cheap insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in agreement with concerns about spinners and safety wires. The safety wire is more for looks if thats the lookyou're going for. Quite simply, the FFR supplied spinners work. Put them on hand tight. Lock them in place with the set screws and forget about them. No issues with mine after 40,0000 kilometers with lots of hard starts and stops. IMO, the safety wire mod would be a royal pain in the butt every time I wanted to remove wheels. And the mod that some guys use to secure the inner section to the wheel is one of those mods that fits into the catagory of " if it doesn't make it look better or perform better" it's a waist of time mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Just a thought, but if you want to ensure you don't lose another (and add a bit of old-school look to your car), you may want to add some safety wire, like they did to the race cars back in the day.

Hi Gumball,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I was thinking of adding (3) saftey's, one to each leg of the spinner spinner as insurance against one ever coming off again. I'll have to think about it though. Not sure what that would look like.
    I called PS engineering but only got a voicemail, waiting for a callback.
    My thanks also to Dave Howard, Derald Rice, Avalanche325, Boyster and Steno for your reply's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve replaced the O rings, but also put a bit of clear RTV on too as a bit of insurance. They come off easy enough when you want them to.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    I’ve replaced the O rings, but also put a bit of clear RTV on too as a bit of insurance. They come off easy enough when you want them to.
    Hi Steno,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I was finally able to get hold of someone at PS Engineering.
    I asked if they had Faux bullet hubs for those wheels, they did, and I ordered (4).
    I just don't feel like I want to risk having another spinner take off on me at highway speeds.
    Don't want to take the chance of beating my car up ,or worse, having it hit another car and perhaps cause an accident.
    So now I have three Faux spinners for the Halibrand replica wheels.
    Anybody out there need them?

Post Thanks / Like

Safety wire on spinners

Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    If the spinner is only secured by popping it in with orings, like the OP, I'd be concerned that the safety wire would allow it to sling around at the length of the wire if it came off. The wheel is spinning, the wire will slide to the outside, and that spinner might eat up some very expensive bodywork.

However, if one were to add another strand of safety wire in the proper place, it may keep it somewhat in check and not allow it to sling out. You could also wire it to a wheel spoke thats more inline with the spinner spoke... that may help hold it in.

Just thinking out loud. I dont have these type wheels or spinners.
    Safety wires on wheel spinners should be put on slightly loose. They are not intended to keep the spinner tight, just on. Slightly loose allows one to do a walk around inspection of their car and see if any of the spinners are coming loose as evidenced by " a tight wire." Otherwise, the wire just keeps your spinner from spinning off and going bye-bye, usually ahead of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tr6forme View Post
    Hi Steno,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I was finally able to get hold of someone at PS Engineering.
    I asked if they had Faux bullet hubs for those wheels, they did, and I ordered (4).
    I just don't feel like I want to risk having another spinner take off on me at highway speeds.
    Don't want to take the chance of beating my car up ,or worse, having it hit another car and perhaps cause an accident.
    So now I have three Faux spinners for the Halibrand replica wheels.
    Anybody out there need them?

I totally need two of these.. do u still have them?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be worried of a fake spinner coming off at speed, with just one safety wire holding it. It could have it thrashing around wildly, tearing the body apart, and smashing against the road, so it probably wouldn't be usable again anyways..
    Might be better off if it spun off into a ditch, or median.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have a left handed threaded adapter/hub for a spinner? Or a source for one as FF5 is backordered? It’s for a Mk4
    #9135. Full kit delivered 07/15/2017. Plates and road legal 01/16/2018. 347 stroker with Callie crank, Crower valve train, GT40 heads. Tremec TKO 600. Ken Pike paint. Built with my 14 year old daughter who can‘t wait to drive it!