BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  142
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Terry in Las Vegas Build - 15,000 miles, standard ratio R-P installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    You Nailed The Color Combo!
    This one needs to be submitted for the POM award because I'm sure you will win.
    Thanks GoDad! I copied Robert 2006's scheme. I knew that I wanted red with black or charcoal stripes. Miller sent me a pic of a car that he was working on (Robert's) and I said "just like that." "Do that to mine". I can't pick colors myself but when I see something I like, I'll gladly copy

I have already entered a photo earlier this month. There will be more for sure. I'm a bit of a shutterbug. Bradley, Doc, VegasJack, Howard, and a few others are going with me through southern Utah in Oct. We will be going through Brianhead ski resort, Cedar Breaks Natl Monument, Zion, Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef Natl Parks. There might be a few photo opportunities
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    Oh crap! Have you considered adhering it to the windshield with gaffer's tape? Or better yet, just put on one of those cheap stick on plastic hooks. Try to find one in simulated chrome so that it won't look ugly

How long did the pass take to arrive? I haven't ordered one yet.
    LOL! Nah, that won't work, they say it won't be replaced if stolen. I better use super glue.

It took just short of two weeks.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 08-25-2020 at 08:53 AM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    That picture of your finished car in that scenery is awesome, Terry! Nice job!
    2018 Factory Five Mk IV, Gen 2 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, complete kit, standard brakes and rear axle;
    Delivered: 5 Sept 2018
    First start: 31 Aug 2019
    First go-cart: 22 Sept 2019
    Basically done except paint: May 2020
    Graduation: June 2021

4. Thanks TMartinLVNV thanked for this post
    Likes TMartinLVNV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that I have my throttle pedal travel worked out for good. I am now able to get 96% at WOT. Before, if I had the RT pedal adjusted to where it was comfortable for me to drive at about an inch lower than the brake pedal, I was not able to get enough travel out of it and was limited to about 78%. I moved the pedal pedal back on the upper frame rail to get more travel and it was way too high. My foot kept hitting the throttle when I was going for the brake and it put my leg in an uncomfortable position. I walked away from the project for about a week and this is what I came up with.

I made a Z bend to move the pedal a little over to the left so that it would not hit the frame in the footbox as soon in the pedal travel.

Next, I removed the spacer and shaved off part of the pedal arm so that I can have the pedal pad further back.

The pedal pad is now about 1/2" below the brake pedal. I wish I could go back further, but I think this will do. I won't be able to drive it until later in the week. But now, at WOT, I get 96%. Woohoo! The problem with working in this area is that it is so uncomfortable. I can only work with my left arm, upside down, and with the door sill hitting me in the ribs. Not fun at all.

Next step for me, if this works out, is to mess with cruise control attachment to the throttle body. I was never too happy with how I had it set up before with both the cruise control and the throttle attaching from the rear of the throttle body. What was happening was that the bead chain was sometimes drop down and interfere with the throttle linkage (not good at all). I bought some parts from Summit to try and run the cruise control cable around the front of the throttle body and have it pull on the lower part of the linkage from the front while the throttle cable pulls from the rear of the linkage from the top.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    I added a 3.5" fisheye mirror to the passenger side flat mirror. The non curved mirror from Speedway did not help much. This eliminates the blind spot and makes the mirror functional.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I received my measuring sheet and sample vinyl from Pigfarm for a tonneau cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    I reversed how my cruise control was hooked up. Before, I had both the accel cable and cruise control cable attaching to the throttle body linkage from the rear. The bead chain would sometime interfere with all of those moving parts. Not good.

So, I bought this arm bracket from Summit. Which necessitated longer throttle body attachment studs as well. But, it all worked out. I'm running the cruise control to the bottom of the linkage from the front rather than from the rear. Now, when the accel pedal is depressed, the bead chain slack has nothing to interfere with. Not as elegant looking as before, but works and is safer.

8. Likes bldr.rob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is how my pedal ended up after making more adjustments to get full throttle.

Here you can see how the Z bend moved the pedal over a smidge. I still wish that the accel was about 1" lower than the brake pedal. Right now it is about 1/2". I have to make sure that I hit the brake with the right side of my foot. I think that for my feet and this small footbox, this is the best that I can do. I'm certainly tired of working in this cramped area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel for ya, during spirited driving you can catch the gas pedal with the brake pedal. Have you considered the AC pedals from Mike Forte’s?
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    I feel for ya, during spirited driving you can catch the gas pedal with the brake pedal. Have you considered the AC pedals from Mike Forte’s?
    I've made the pedals as small as possible. What would the advantage to the AC pedals be besides looking nicer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    VegasJack and I did a two day/one night run into Arizona. It ended up being 727 miles total. After leaving Las Vegas, we went through the following towns in AZ: Kingman, Peach Springs and Seligman along Route 66, Prescott (overnight), Sedona, Flagstaff, Kingman again, Oatman, the back home through Bullhead city. The weather cooperated with us for the entire trip. We had a brisk morning on the second day and it was a hot afternoon. But otherwise, quite nice. VegasJack's car has been on the road for many years and ran flawlessly. This was the first really long trip for my car. The only issue I had was that I started losing coolant. I thought that I had fixed it by adjusting some of my heater hoses where they connect to the T-stat housing/water pump. It ended up being the t-stat housing itself. I think that the gasket compressed a little was allowing some coolant to leak out. At a gas station stop, Jack was able to see it dripping from that area while I was revving it up. I put a 1/2" wrench on the two bolts and sure enough, they were loose. Problem solved for the rest of the trip. I had replaced the housing a while ago to get a 3rd port to run a heater hose since the two ports in the intake manifold were already being used by the dash gauge and Holley Sniper sensor.

Here are some observations from me:
    -The size of the crowd asking questions about the cars is inversely proportional to the size of the town you are in. In other words, at smaller towns, a lot of people gather quickly.
    -My car averaged 19 mpg. I was pretty excited about that. Especially since a lot of time was spent at 75 mph. Jack's car always used less gas than mine. 347 with Holley Sniper vs 302 89 Ford Mustang doner with EFI results in 11% worse fuel economy.
    -The trifecta of questions seem to be 1. Is it real? 2. Is it a 427? 3. What year is it?. We both tried to be good brand ambassadors. I would estimate we were asked at least 15 times "are they real?".
    -Cruise control is wonderful. My right foot really appreciates the ability to flex. My long legs are pretty cramped and puts my foot at an awkward angle for the gas pedal for long stretches.
    -Heater is wonderful. I'm amazed at how well the heater is able to warm a person up with an open top car.
    -Fuel injection is wonderful. From 1000 ft to over 7000 ft altitude, my car started and ran great with the Holley Sniper. On a 45 degree cold morning, my car started right up and purred along just fine without being cranky.
    -Heated seats are wonderful. I started on "high" and switched to "low". Even then, I had to turn the seat heaters off to keep my backside from sweating. Of course, at the end of the day in Bullhead City, it was 95 degrees.
    -With 445 ft lbs of torque, there is not a hill big enough to warrant having to drop a gear when traveling at highway speeds. This makes me happy.
    -Earplugs, a 360 degree brim hat, a long sleeve shirt, and lots of sunscreen are good things.
    Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 09-12-2020 at 11:03 PM.

14. Likes GTBradley, JB in NOVA, bldr.rob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Along Route 66 in Seligman. I'm the tall one

Prescott, AZ traffic jamb.

16. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jerome, AZ

18. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Outside of Sedona, AZ

20. Likes GTBradley, MSumners liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oatman, AZ

22. Likes GTBradley, Papa, JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let the cleaning and inspection begin. I'm going to do the undercarriage and wheel wells first. Then engine bay followed by interior. Finally, going to use my waterless car wash for the first time and new microfiber towels to clean and finally wax the paint.

Wheels cleaned front and back.

Post Thanks / Like
    While under the car in the daylight, I noticed two things.

First is OOPS!. I've been careful not to ever pull up to a curb or parking stop. I have no idea when this happened. I'm guessing it is pulling into a parking lot off of a street. Oh well, it is a driver.

Second is that my diff cover is leaking. I have fresh fluid around the bottom of the cover. The top, sides, and drain bolt areas are all dry. I used the green Permatex gasket maker for diff covers. I've sealed up many diffs over the years and have never had one leak. I'll try again but with the Lubelocker gasket. I also got another bottle of the friction modifier. I purchased the "Ford Racing" version because it was $0.55 cheaper for some reason than the regular stuff and because the box says racing. I bet it adds 5 hp too

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, TMartin! Looks like your trip was a blast! Thanks for sharing, and including all of the great pictures. Gives me lots of motivation for reaching this step someday.

Question: are your side pipes ceramic coated, and are they the F5 originals?

Chris
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Very cool, TMartin! Looks like your trip was a blast! Thanks for sharing, and including all of the great pictures. Gives me lots of motivation for reaching this step someday.

Question: are your side pipes ceramic coated, and are they the F5 originals?

Chris
    Keep plugging away and it will be done someday. Thanks, we had a good time. A few of use are going through southern UT at the beginning of Oct too. Three national parks and a few national forests will provide lot of photo opportunities.

I did my side pipes differently than most. They are the standard F5 pipes. I don't find them to be too loud. If the fiberglass ever blows out, it may be a different story. But, I am happy with them for now. I was going to do the flat black ceramic coating on them. When I was at the powdercoater getting other parts done, I asked him about it. He did not do ceramic coating but said he could order a special high temperature rated powder coating that he uses on the flame bowls of tiki torches of all things. He guaranteed it to work. I'm very happy with it. I really like that it has a nice textured thick finish. I think it was about $450 for both pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe it's an optical illusion with your car in the back ground or maybe because you're so tall, but your cobra looks so much smaller than the one in the foreground!

Post Thanks / Like
    6'6" 275 lbs. I make the car look tiny espically when standing next to it.

A mild amount of zoom (focal length) with a lens can really change perspective too.

Here is a decent article on how focal length affects your image and how to change your settings for a desired outcome. This is optical zoom, not digital zoom.

https://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/...nd-of-a-photo/
    Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 09-21-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a full write up for the GlobalCruise (Rostra) cruise control install. I purchased the Ultracruise II 250-1223 for my car quite a while ago. With the help of Carl (BadAsp427) I had it up and running pretty quickly. With the help of Carl again and Steno, I finally got everything fine tuned and it is now working perfectly. There are 12 micro switches that allow the unit to be tuned to your application. This post is for anyone considering adding this to their car. I very much recommend it as it does make highway cruising more pleasant and it is not very expensive. The unit plus the controller is about $250.

It can be mounted in many different locations. I put it under the upper rail of the right side of the engine bay. I have pictures of it mounted plus the cable routing in previous posts. This is where I put the controller. It is out of the way but visible and accessible.

I will outline the wire connections they way they are presented in the manual:

Installation VIII. Wiring Attachments to Vehicle
    A. Ground - Ground
    B. Brown Accessory Power - My keyed on fuse box with a 10 amp fuse
    C. Red Brake Positive - RF orange brake switch FD
    D. Violet Brake Negative - RF Purple Brake switch/brake lights
    E. Dark Blue Tachometer Wire - RF purple coil wire behind the tach
    F. Gray Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Wire - RF dark green speedo signal wire behind the speedo
    G through N. not used (J grounded)

This is my final configuration of the micro switches:
    For people like Dave (Papa)
    1 - 0
    2 - 0
    3 - 1
    4 - 1
    5 - 1
    6 - 1
    7 - 0
    8 - 0
    9 - 0
    10 - 0
    11 - 0
    12 - 0

For the rest of us
    Gain - extra low
    Pulses per mile - 38600
    Engine/Setup Timer - 8 cylinder/low
    VSS Source - Sine Wave Input
    Transmission - Manual
    Control Switch - Open Circuit

I hope this helps someone down the road as many others have helped me in so many areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the slightly cooler temperatures upon us, VegasJack, Howard, and I did a tour through Southern Utah. 988 miles in three days! Our cars all did great and got attention at every stop. We even had two Russian women who wanted to sit in our cars and take pictures. No problem!

Headed into Zion National Park

Grand Staircase-Escalante

Now I have a lot of work cleaning up to do!

3500 miles and going strong!

31. Likes GTBradley, JB in NOVA, Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I have had 10 hrs of sleep and feel much more refreshed, here are a few observations from our long road trip.

Sunscreen and long sleeve shirts are a must. I have full brim had with a neck shield that I wore. The wind does blow it around a lot at highway speeds and it can be a bit annoying. Howard had a neck gaiter and baseball cap. I think this is a better alternative and will be getting one too. I kept applying sunscreen to the sides of my face and neck as well as my wrists and hands.

I used the foam ear plugs and am happy with them. No cords to untangle, no pressure on the outside of my ears from ear muffs, no batteries. I can still hear higher pitched sounds quite well. The price is right and I just hum a song to myself. The big negative is if you just heard the "Baby Shark" song and can't get it out of your head. Then you may consider driving your car into a telephone pole after a few hours

The trunk is REALLY small. Even with the RT drop trunk mod. After my tool kit, road repair supplies, and car cleaning supplies, there is not much room for a soft duffle back with clothes.

With the Forte 347 with the Holley Sniper, I am really happy with my fuel milage. I try to fill up to the same level each time. I top off until I can just barely see fuel in the bottom of the filler neck. I get 18-19 mpg the majority of of the time. I did get 21 on one tank on a 150 mile stretch when we were at a steady 65 mph.

The longest single stretch I did without stopping was 166 miles. I don't think I would want to go longer than that without getting out for a butt break. We did 350 miles one day with lots of stops. I could have gone longer. The Kirkey Vintage Racing seats are surprisingly comfortable even with the super thin padding. I didn't have any hot spots or pressure points. I do have to wear cargo pants and move my wallet and CCW IWB to the front pocket or side pockets.

The Holley Sniper was fantastic. Whether on a 25 degree morning at 11k ft altitude or 90 degree day with a hot start after gassing up, no problems at all. It started and ran just fine every time.

When there is a line of 4 trucks with a RV in the middle, it does not take long to pass them up when dropping it into 4th and hammering it. Even with quite a few near WOT sprints, the milage never dropped below 18 mpg. In Utah, the speed limit was 80 on parts of the interstate. My car just loafs along at 2500 rpm in 5th and is quite happy to spend long periods of time at this speed.

When cruising along the national parks at 25 mph, the fan will come on a lot. This car needs forward speed to keep the motor cool.

The most important lesson from this trip is.....

Chicks dig red cars. Especially Russians. За здоровье!

Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 10-08-2020 at 12:38 PM.

33. Likes GTBradley, JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like another really fun trip, Terry! Thanks for sharing.

So, at 80 MPH your motor is turning over at 2,500 RPM? It's been a while since I used the RPM calculator on the Tremec website, but that's a very livable engine speed at 80 MPH.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Looks like another really fun trip, Terry! Thanks for sharing.

So, at 80 MPH your motor is turning over at 2,500 RPM? It's been a while since I used the RPM calculator on the Tremec website, but that's a very livable engine speed at 80 MPH.
    Basically yes. I got the TKO 600 with the longer legs (.64 or so I think). There is a noticable gap between 4th and 5th. It does not bother me at all. I think that I cross over 2500 rpm right at 81 mph. I calibrated my Auto Meter speedo and compared to GPS. My speedo reads right at 1/2 of 1 mph faster than GPS indicated. It took a lot of work to get it that close and I'm good with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the details, Terry. Looks like a fun trip! This gives those of us in "mid-build" something to look forward to.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

37. Thanks TMartinLVNV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB in NOVA View Post
    Thanks for all the details, Terry. Looks like a fun trip! This gives those of us in "mid-build" something to look forward to.
    Thanks JB. I really appreciate it. I received so much help from many others during my build. I'm still not done, but darn close. Even though I have a blast driving it, I do miss the build process. I loved the research and planning of options, even though it can be overwhelming at times. My garage and gun safes are full now. I guess I need another hobby. I have a spare bedroom that is not used. Is a train set next? Mmm, no.

39. Likes JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completed another road trip through Death Valley with VegasJack and Howard. The car ran like a dream. I'm now at 4200 miles and I think I can consider my build "graduated". To help others, I'll describe some of my options and upgrades and report how they ended up working out for me.

347 Engine - I am very happy with my engine choice. I decided on a Forte Dart block, Edelbrock E-street heads, Holley Sniper EFI, Ford E-cam, Edelbrock Air Gap manifold, and TKO 600 with .64 OD. I would not change a thing. After taking a bit of time to get the Sniper dialed in, the car starts right up, no matter how cold, hot, or what the altitude is. I get a consistent 18 mpg. I've had 21 mpg on a long 65 mph stretch. I have not messed with the tuning portion of the Sniper using their software at all. This motor scares me. It is almost too much power in this car for my driving abilities, but I'm learning

3 link solid axle - I am happy with this choice. I don't find the ride to be uncomfortable or the suspension not able to perform like how I want. I also don't know what a independent rear end drives like. For what I do with the car, the solid axle is fine.

Power Steering - When Paul (EdwardB) speaks, you should listen. I like the power steering for the reasons he has stated about 100 times over. If you have the KRC setup, read here https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post419887

Heater - I LOVE the heater. I'm in Las Vegas and have used the heater a LOT. For cold mornings or being up at high altitude, this option really helps. It was really a pain in the rear end to get this option up and running. The Holley Sniper uses the second port in the intake manifold for its own temp sensor. So, I could not plumb the heater using it. At first, I used a Mr Gasket water outlet elbow that had a port already machined into it. I could never get this elbow to seal up. First, with the o-ring gasket, then with the o-ring removed, the chrome surface roughed up, and a fel-pro gasket, then a RTV gasket. No mater what, it leaked. I finally drilled and tapped a hole (3/8" NPT Pipe Tap and 37/64" drill bit) in the Ford Performance elbow and used a new Fel Pro gasket with no leaks. This caused me a lot of time, frustration, and clean up on the underside of the car. But I would do it again.

Scotts Hotrods reservoir - This was recommended by Dave (Papa) since the CNC option is not available anymore. They are small, but look good and work well. After 4200 miles, the brake fluid level is still at the top. These are available in doubles and triples.

Auto Meter Ultra Lite gauges- I like these. They are a little hard to read at night even when backlit. But they are good enough for me.

Wilwood Brakes - I'm sure that the standard brakes are find for most applications. But these looked cool enough to justify the expense for me. I will never use these to their limits.

Factory 5 EFI option - This is the only option that caused me heartburn. What is provided by F5 is not suitable to the basic Holley Sniper requirements. The lines are too small from the hanger in the tank to the supplied flexible lines. I ended up not using almost everything that was provided for $550. Get the Pro-M 3/8" hanger and proper 3/8" send and return lines. The Holley Sniper also has its own internal fuel pressure regulator.

17" wheels - I am quite happy with the 17" wheels. The Halibrand style sure are a pain in the rear to clean though.

Breeze Automotive - I purchased the power steering offset mounting kit, radiator support kit, russ thompson gas pedal, battery mounting kit, hinged radiator mounting kit, fan shroud, dead pedal kit, Boig cooling tubes, and some other stuff. Great products and great service.

I also upgraded the tie rods and ball joints to Moog.

Paint and body work by Jeff Miller - It was expensive but it was money well spent. A true master of his craft.

Cobraheat Heated seats - I like them, but I don't used them very much. They are cheap and do help a little. However, they can cause your backside to become sweaty very quickly, which is not what you want when it is cold outside.

Exhaust - I like 'em loud. The F5 mild steel pipes power coated with special high temp resistant finish is holding up well.

Cruise Control - I love this. Maybe the best $250 I spent on the car. It really allows me to relax more on the highway. Most importantly, it allows me rest and stretch my right leg. I'm cramped for space, so this is much appreciated. It took a while to get this working properly. This was a big time suck for sure. But it now works butter smooth.
    Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 11-01-2020 at 11:02 AM.

41. Likes JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mods for big and tall guys. I had a lot of help from others with their suggestions to get me to fit into this car (SJDave, David Hodgkins, and others).

17" Kirkey low back seats - This is the single best item for improving leg and butt room. Without these seats, I don't think I could fit into the car. I have driven 160 miles straight in these seats. I was ready to get out of the car for a butt break, but could have gone further if needed.

Driver's door cutout - Jeff Miller cut out part of the top of the drivers door for my shoulder. I could not get my arm inside of the car without this. No one (non Cobra owner) has even noticed the cutout until I point it out to them.

Pedals - RT pedal for maximum adjustability. Also, I shaved down the brake and clutch pedal pads to as small as possible. I wish I had more room, but it works well enough. I also use driving shoes. I can drive with regular shoes, but I have to be very careful no to hit two pedals with the same foot.

Steering - I purchased the smaller leather steering wheel and also have shimmed up the column about 1/2" inch. I had enlarge the hole in the dash, but it was easy to do.

People often have a surprised look on their face when they see me get in or out of the car. It is a tight fit for sure, but it works well enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Things I would do different. I would love to build another car. Maybe one day...

If I would, this is a list of the things I would do different (it is not very long):

Rear cockpit cubby hole - there is a definite lack of places to put things. This would be a nice option to store stuff while you are driving. I think it can be done after the car is built but is more difficult. Maybe one day.

Stereo - I do miss my tunes. I think that I will purchase a bluetooth speaker and use that when needed.

Whitby center console - I really like the way this looks. However, with my shifter, my hand sometimes hits it when shifting into 1st or 3rd. Minor inconvenience. Maybe I change the shifter arm one day.

I wish I had painted the backsides of the fender well aluminum panels. I didn't know that they would be so visible from the engine bay when the hood is open.

What the future holds

I would like to change the interior. The carpet is pretty basic. I'll probably pay an automotive upholstery shop to spiff things up a little (trans tunnel, flooring, custom seat covers, etc).

Oil cooler - It is not necessary. I've never seen my oil temp gauge go over 180 (it usually hangs out at 160), but it looks so darn cool.

Let the bank account recover

Thanks to everyone who helped and advised me throughout this build. I could not have done it without you and this forum. If I can build a car, then so can you! I learned so much. I'm certainly sticking around to try and help others and most importantly, to coordinate drives with others. Let's put some miles on these things!
    Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 10-31-2020 at 11:50 AM.

44. Likes JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Graduate... Looks great...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

46. Thanks TMartinLVNV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great write-ups and photos. Thanks for documenting and sharing your build. I’ve enjoyed it from the beginning. Great car as well. Congratulations

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

48. Thanks TMartinLVNV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work and congrats on the main objective - GRADUATION! I still need to go through all that you documented in your build. However, I will take to heart adding-in the cubby slot, since I was on the fence on that one. Enjoy your dream and may safe roads always find you!

Dj
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

50. Thanks TMartinLVNV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are cracking me up Terry. Looks like a fun trip and congrats on the graduation. Hopefully I'm not much further behind you.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

52. Thanks TMartinLVNV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I realized that I had not commented on my experience with Factory 5 and Stewart Transportation. So here goes...

Factory 5 was great to deal with. The ordering process was very smooth and they took the time to advise me during options selection. The car was completed for shipping on time and ready for Stewart Transportation. I called F5 just a few times during the build process. I mostly relied on this forum. Each time I did call F5, they pointed me in the right direction to resolve the issue right away. My power steering rack started leaking after I put a few miles on the the car. I talked to Dan and sent him some pictures and he sent me a replacement immediately. The new one has been working perfect. Yes, I had a number of parts that were backordered and had to work around them. It did cause me some delay. However, this seems to be the nature of the beast when F5 is relying on other vendors to fill part orders. The communication with Stewart was very good and they kept me updated throughout the process. The driver was fantastic and was a great help getting everything into my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    Things I would do different. I would love to build another car. Maybe one day...

If I would, this is a list of the things I would do different (it is not very long):

Rear cockpit cubby hole - there is a definite lack of places to put things. This would be a nice option to store stuff while you are driving. I think it can be done after the car is built but is more difficult. Maybe one day.

Stereo - I do miss my tunes. I think that I will purchase a bluetooth speaker and use that when needed.

I wish I had painted the backsides of the fender well aluminum panels. I didn't know that they would be so visible from the engine bay when the hood is open.
    Thanks for sharing your list, Terry! I'm seriously thinking about the cockpit cubby (when I eventually get to that point) given the number of comments I read about minimal space.

Stereo: like you I'm not going to install one, but perhaps get a large BT speaker.

Keep sharing the pictures of your travel adventures. It gives great inspiration to me to get there someday.

Great looking car! Enjoy!
    Chris

55. Thanks TMartinLVNV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terry, congratulations all around! You did an outstanding job with your build, you documented it along the way to help others (like me) avoid mistakes, and it looks like you are having so much fun in your new Roadster! Well done, my man. Well done.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

57. Thanks TMartinLVNV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    5,000 miles on the odometer! Woohoo! I've been on trips with friends to Utah, Arizona, and California with many more to come. The car is doing great and I still sometimes just stare at it in the garage. I have been caught in a light rain once and got into a fight with a tumbleweed on the highway.

Before work starts

Working on it

I was on the highway on a windy day and a tumble weed blew in front of me. I was almost able to miss it. Almost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cleaning up the brake calipers

Wiping everything down

The wheels must be clean. Inside and out.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast