Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: First F9 Forum Thread: ALL NEW Factory Five Carbon Body VIDEO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First F9 Forum Thread: ALL NEW Factory Five Carbon Body VIDEO!

Welcome to the NEW Factory Five F9 Forum, celebrating the ALL NEW F9!

To celebrate, and mark this auspicious occasion, here is the JUST RELEASED VIDEO of the ALL NEW F9 FULL CARBON BODY!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

2. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes MSumners, Boydster, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thumbs up! Gorgeous

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can’t wait to see it in person!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious why it looks like its filmed in China.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking coupe next but may have to reconsider. Awesome.
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

7. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If someone scratches that body, how do you get it fixed with that kind of carbon fiber paint job?
    Last edited by Aircontroller; 04-11-2020 at 06:45 AM.
    MK4 Build School - Jan 2020
    Hot Rod Build School - Feb 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Can we get another video taken in landscape orientation and maybe a little further away. The details look great but I'd like to see what the overall shape looks like.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well now, that’s exciting!
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebicman View Post
    Curious why it looks like its filmed in China.
    Because that’s where this prototype was made and where the production body will come from.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Because that’s where this prototype was made and where the production body will come from.

Jeff
    Hmmm. Gotta admit, that's a bit disappointing. As GoDadGo suggests, are there no domestic suppliers with similar quality and cost?
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really nice! Unfortunate about being made in China but that seems to be the way for a lot of things.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobradavid View Post
    Hmmm. Gotta admit, that's a bit disappointing. As GoDadGo suggests, are there no domestic suppliers with similar quality and cost?
    Unless you can find a really good shop in a very rural part of the US staffed by people making minimum wage or less then you might come close but it will still be more expensive.

We design and sell rugged high quality automotive/industrial grade battery chargers. They are manufactured for us in China by a US company with US headquarters but with mfg facilities all over the world. We are now subject to the wonderful tariffs, about 80% of our sales are into the US and we are cost sharing the tariffs with those customers at the moment. As we debated what to do, we polled some of those customers about cost sensitivity and about how they "valued" a US manufactured product. The summary is they could care less where it was made it had to cost as little as possible. We basically had 2 choices, move to Malaysia with a couple of % rise in costs but likely inferior quality for some time and more complicated logistics or move to Mexico with a 5% uptick in cost. We still need the custom component supply base in China though. If we moved the custom component sourcing (connectors, plastics, metal castings, transformers, etc) to North America we'd be out of business...

I'm not picking on the US, here in Canada it's really no different...

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Unless you can find a really good shop in a very rural part of the US staffed by people making minimum wage or less then you might come close but it will still be more expensive.

We design and sell rugged high quality automotive/industrial grade battery chargers. They are manufactured for us in China by a US company with US headquarters but with mfg facilities all over the world. We are now subject to the wonderful tariffs, about 80% of our sales are into the US and we are cost sharing the tariffs with those customers at the moment. As we debated what to do, we polled some of those customers about cost sensitivity and about how they "valued" a US manufactured product. The summary is they could care less where it was made it had to cost as little as possible. We basically had 2 choices, move to Malaysia with a couple of % rise in costs but likely inferior quality for some time and more complicated logistics or move to Mexico with a 5% uptick in cost. We still need the custom component supply base in China though. If we moved the custom component sourcing (connectors, plastics, metal castings, transformers, etc) to North America we'd be out of business...

I'm not picking on the US, here in Canada it's really no different...

Steve
    You hit the head on the nail, the tariffs are not helping anyone or bringing many jobs back, unless we cut the pay for US labor, which will not happen

Post Thanks / Like
    Paying a little more to buy American isn’t going to stop people from their projects, but it will support others in the US who manufacture goods and expect to sell them. The more people who buy American, the faster our manufacturing base will rebuild. American products are better quality and better designed. Try thinking of something other than yourself when you purchase something.

18. Likes 7tvette, nskaats liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Welcome to the NEW Factory Five F9 Forum, celebrating the ALL NEW F9!

To celebrate, and mark this auspicious occasion, here is the JUST RELEASED VIDEO of the ALL NEW F9 FULL CARBON BODY!

Also gotta admit, it looks GREAT!

Happy Easter, everyone!
    David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not an American, I am Canadian. If I can purchase a product built in Canada I will support my country. When I bought my MK3 there was no Canadian companies making a quality cobra kit. It was a very good feeling that I was buying a product that was built by Americans with American materials. When I went to Factory Five Dave made a strong point that he is very proud all his steel was American product. I understand there is other parts required to build a car but why would he out source, out of country, what he designed.

21. Likes 7tvette liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    One huge advantage (for us) of a carbon body is that it has to be perfect!! No filling or sanding can be done. When're the carbon bodies for the rest of the lineup coming?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point on the CB body. Would there be absolutely no body work at all? What about paint? I’m a CB newbie.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Good point on the CB body. Would there be absolutely no body work at all? What about paint? I’m a CB newbie.
    You could paint it if you did not like the exposed CB look, but being finished in clear coat the body should be good to go!
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Chinese? No thanks. I've been impacted enough with their recent Covid virus. I'd pay a few K more for Made in USA. I'm in a Boycott China at the moment both personally and in my business.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love made in the USA, however, if no one could afford to buy it at a price where FFR could make a profit, then they would not be able to invest the many thousands of dollars it cost to develop a new product. I have been in manufacturing for over 40 years and still make products here. That being said, I am forced to buy some parts off shore. Sometimes driven by price, sometimes because it is no longer made here, and sometimes just because it is easier to deal with the offshore manufacturers than stubborn manufacturers in the US. I am currently developing an HVAC system for a specialized application and wanted to purchase the evaporator core from a US manufacturer. I contacted 3 US manufacturers that made a similar product. All three refused to sell to me because they thought I might somehow compete against them. I explained that if they made what I needed then I wouldn't be developing a system. Regardless they all refused to sell me the evaporator cores at $120/ea (I was ready to buy 50 pieces. Instead I ended up buying 100 pieces in China for $47 each delivered. I didn't want to do this but needed a solution.
    Chris

27. Thanks Aircontroller, David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    You hit the head on the nail, the tariffs are not helping anyone or bringing many jobs back, unless we cut the pay for US labor, which will not happen
    bil1024: Wrong. The tariffs are doing exactly as they were planned to do. Pressure the Chinese economy. If you really think they aren't driving jobs back to the US, you need to turn off MSNBC. Manufacturing is leaving China at a fast rate. Even before this Chinese virus.

FF33rod: Also wrong. I buy transformers, injection molded plastic housing, circuit boards, etc for China as well. About twenty 40' containers per day. You talk about the higher cost in different countries...I agree. But if you can't see that China is 'on sale' right now, you need better sourcing people. We have recovered nearly 100% of the tariff costs in price concessions from our suppliers. They knew, if they didn't come down, the work was moving elsewhere. The tariffs had had little to no impact on us, and we too are in a highly competitive industry where price matters. Just negotiate better. Play hard ball.

29. Likes AtlantaCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy smokes...enough about the China crap. I make small run bodies out of fiberglass here in the US. It is not an easy thing. Especially here in CA. Most of my stuff comes from out of state due to environmental restrictions...and the costs are NOT CHEAP.

That body looks FANTASTIC. Can't wait to see one in person.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

31. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Likes JohnnyB, David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    You could paint it if you did not like the exposed CB look, but being finished in clear coat the body should be good to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Also if you don't like the exposed Carbon Fiber look, with a very smooth/perfect body, you can do a wrap on it as well.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    American products are better quality and better designed.
    An American flag hanging over the building is not a prerequisite to designing quality products. While we may associate cheaply made garbage with China, there are many factories there that produce quality products at a very competitive price. At the same time, there are many American companies that produce sub-par products at a terrible price. The country is not nearly as important as the people doing the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    So much for the first F9 forum thread. I came here to read about an interesting new offering at Factory Five Racing.

All I found is a bunch of guys Trolling each other.

What a shame!! ��
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    So much for the first F9 forum thread. I came here to read about an interesting new offering at Factory Five Racing.

All I found is a bunch of guys Trolling each other.

What a shame!! ��
    I may or may not be thinking about that carbon body work instead of the lady on the next date night.

Post Thanks / Like
    How does a date work with social distance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Thanks for clarifying the issue. Of course I think most of us understand that even a few dollars cost increase changes everything. I do think the problem isn't China...it's the United States and our incentives given to China to grow their manufacturing and supply chains to become the powerhouse they are. Nixon started it. It can be fixed with the right policies that apply to our own hemisphere. Heck we have Mexico and other South American countries just south begging for that type of work. We can incentives them and at least help closer to home.

I gotta admit though that the F9 looks AMAZING! And having a carbon fiber body is something very unique and is a real standout. I'm looking forward to seeing a completed one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Mike.

Dave could have had the molds built to fabricate these in Fiberglass again, and everyone would complain about the fit and finish.

And then when he answers the concerns of the high cost of body work, as well as fit and finish, people find more reasons to complain.

This process was started long before Covid and the shut down. Otherwise you would not be seeing the finished product video.

This body looks incredible! There are manufacturers who don't make bodies that are this nice.

I think that we should back off a bit, and appreciate the effort involved for what is being provided by Dave and the crew at Factory 5.

I sure like what I see. It took me about a minute to see a complete picture in my head.

Give it a chance guys.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

39. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ill give it a chance. It’s an intriguing design and has good looks at most any angle. As far as the CF body is concerned, time will tell. Decoupling with China may quash that deal. I do know that the CF work on most supercars is a significant amount of the total cost, but in most cases where the CF is being used as a structural element, it requires significant engineering and strict quality standards.