Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  255
Likes Likes:  391

Thread: EdwardB’s 35 Hot Rod Truck Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

EdwardB’s 35 Hot Rod Truck Build

Here we go again. Enjoy building too much to not have a project underway. So, build number five is on order. Completion date at Factory Five isn’t until 12/05/2020. So, this is an early start to a build thread. But will kick it off anyway. It’s been about seven months since the Gen 3 Coupe was done. I’ve spent the time since then completing a number of home projects. All necessary and good progress. But ready to spend some time on something else. Approaching five years in retirement now (hard to believe) and I love staying busy. To make room, just sold and delivered the 20th Anniversary Roadster to its new owner. What a great car that was and sad to see it go. But we thoroughly enjoy the Coupe. The garage shop does seem to have an opening now though. Time to fill it up.

So back to the best of both worlds. One to drive and one to build. I’ve been keeping an eye on the F9 super car. Thought we might see it in person at this year’s Open House. Didn’t happen of course since it was cancelled. Based on the latest updates it’s clearly going to be a while before it’s available. I like it a lot and hats off to Dave and team for what it’s going to be. But to be honest the more I see and learn, it’s probably not for us. What I really want is something that’s a little more civil and especially something that’s comfortable and easy for my wife to get in and out of. Maybe even convince her to drive one of my builds. The Hot Rod Pick-Up Truck was something that caught my eye when it was released. So, going to give it a shot. Will be quite different than previous builds.

The goal of the build will be a civilized (as much as possible) street cruiser. I much prefer the classic look with the fenders and running boards. Plus, not a fan of rocks and whatever else flying off the tires. Going to do an automatic transmission to stay in the civilized theme. Haven’t done that before and I enjoy learning and trying new things. Plus, the footbox room seems somewhat limited and eliminating the clutch should help. Power steering is a given. Wouldn’t mind power brakes. Heat and A/C for sure. Maybe a sound system.

With the Coyotes in the last two builds, I’ve become a huge fan of the turnkey crate modern computer controlled EFI engines. I know it’s been done, but the size of the Coyote makes it very tight in this model. So, for the engine, I’ve decided to go Chevy LS. Nothing crazy. Planning the 430 HP LS3 crate motor. I’ve been one that isn’t a fan of non-Ford engines in the Roadster or Coupe. And for those cars leave me in that camp. But for this build, it’s such a departure from a traditional Ford I’m going to excuse myself and go for it. In spite of any piling on by Steve Mr. GoDadGo. The LS3 is much more compact, a bit cheaper, and again fits the theme of learning and trying something I haven’t done before. I’ll be very interested to compare an LS installation experience to what I’ve learned doing the Coyotes.

The 430 HP LS3, while by far not the most powerful available, will have plenty of go for my intended use. I’ll look for some dress-up options. It suffers from the same busy wire and hose look like most modern engines. But nothing crazy. One thing it won’t have is covers that say Corvette or whatever like I’ve seen on some LS builds. Not going to advertise that I’ve gone rogue.

This is exactly what I ordered:
    • ’35 Truck Kit with uncoated frame
    • LS installation kit
    • Driveshaft for LS engine and 4L65E automatic transmission
    • Black vinyl seats
    • Truck front grill
    • Platinum gauges
    • Chrome tilt steering wheel
    • Electric power steering
    • Engine cover kit
    • Full fender kit
    • Wood bed kit
    • Moser 8.8 wide rear axle with 3-link
    • Black Wilwood brakes front and back

I’m going with the uncoated frame because to be honest I’m not a huge fan of the now standard satin black powder coat. And for the Hot Rod and Truck, quite a bit is exposed. The Factory Five powder coat is a good value. But I’m going to get it uncoated, mock everything up, and make any modifications. Then clean it up (welds as needed, spatter, etc.) and have it coated locally. Along with the uncoated suspension parts and other fabricated misc. Color TBD.

I like the traditional look of the bench seat. But I want to go with something that provides the most amount of people space, height, and adjustment. Plus, I’d really prefer to have head rests for safety. So going with the regular Roadster seats for mock up and study to select the seats I’ll use. Then sell the unused Roadster seats. Used that strategy for the Coupe and worked quite well.

I love the wire wheels I’ve seen on several builds. So, getting information about those. Would appear in that case all four corners use the same size tires versus the usual staggered setup. Which is fine for what I’m planning. Haven’t decided which heat and A/C system I’ll use. More study when the kit is here and can mock everything up. I’d like something a little more sophisticated than the very basic system in the Coupe. But we’ll see if that’s possible. Will have wipers. Maybe washers. Other possibilities are cruise control and electronic e-brake. Probably will go old fashioned with a keyed ignition versus keyless like the Coupe. I like the Digital Guard Dawg setup in the Coupe. Works great. But adds complexity and takes some space. Will look at options to extend the under car exhaust all the way to the back to keep noise down as much as possible. Will have plenty of insulation and try to make the overall driving and comfort level as high as possible. Planning the standard GM electronic controller for the 4L65E automatic, with a Lokar Sport Shifter that can be left fully automatic or has a bump shift mode.

I’m going with Wilwood brakes again. They’re expensive and for my driving purposes the standard brakes would be fine. But what can I say? I like the look of the Wilwoods and they’re beautifully made and go together perfectly. This will be the fourth time I’ve used them. The solid axle version uses single piston rears, which aren’t as robust as the 4-piston rears used on the IRS setup. But I had this combination (6-piston front, single piston rear) on my #7750 Mk4 Roadster and they worked fine. As mentioned, will look at power assist. That would mean giving up the Wilwood balance bar setup. But I think would fit well into the build theme and plan. Since it will be electric power steering, no hydraulic available for hydroboost. So would have to be vacuum assist, and I suspect there isn’t room for the reservoir. But we’ll see.

I’m planning to order the LS3 crate motor soon so it’s on hand when the kit arrives. Same for the transmission. Then can starting mocking things up immediately. Looking at using a Gearstar reman 4L65E. All transmissions of this type and vintage I’ve found are rebuilds or remans. Even when buying from GM. The aftermarket seems to offer some upgrades to the internals, more power handling, etc. for similar money.

That’s it for now. Feedback and (positive…) comments welcome.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-11-2020 at 05:20 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.