It’s with a mixture of joy and sadness that I submit MK4 #8641 for graduation. Joy because, well…just look at the thing! Sadness because this means the end of what has been a rewarding and fulfilling journey. One door closes, another one opens…

Would like to start by acknowledging the good folks that helped along the way, particularly the folks that participate in this forum. Kleiner, Miller (more on him later), Edwardb, DaleG, carlewms, cgundermann, to name just a few. Hard to say how many times you all saved me from myself. Thanks for keeping a rookie builder out of trouble.

Also should acknowledge the handful of really outstanding vendors that supplied superior parts and equally superior support to go with. Mark at Breeze, Mike at Replica Parts, Russ at Russ’s Roadster Shop, Chris at Dark Water Customs. I should have just ordered one of everything Mark sells, as I think I ended up there anyway. Pretty much the same with Mike.

MK4 kit #8641 received in July of 2015. Almost exactly 3 years to the day to get the car on the road, licensed, titled, and registered. No record build time here to be sure, but not too bad considering I’m still chained to a desk for 40+ hours every week. My goal was to build a modern interpretation of the original car. Not an exact replica per se, but a car that’s true to the original while incorporating modern updates (fuel injection, big brakes, keyless start, etc.). I’m particularly happy with how the engine came out. Because of the clever way Pro-M is able to hide the MAF sensor within a standard looking air cleaner, the motor appears like an old school carbureted mill. But it’s a full computer-controlled, port injected, OBD-II compliant, fuel and spark controlled wolf in sheep’s clothing.

On to the specs.

MK4 complete kit
Independent rear suspension w/3.55 gears, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, and Ford Racing girdle
Wilwood brakes, 12.88” front, 12.19” rear, w/remote balance bar adjuster
Ford Racing Z427 w/Pro-M EFI engine management system
TKO600 5-speed transmission w/McLeod mid shifter & Hurst line lock
Bodywork & paint by Jeff Miller
Paint protection film & ceramic coating
Full leather interior w/competition dash including glovebox & keyless start
Koolmat insulation applied over entire cockpit
Heater w/electronic control valve
Breeze quiet pipes, top & bottom radiator mounts, radiator shroud, radiator hard tubes, seat mounts, front battery mount, dead pedal, alternator fuse kit, and wind wing side mirrors
Replica parts radiator aluminum, under dash panel, shifter and seat belt trim rings, roll bar and windshield trim plates, firewall support, trunk support kit, steering shaft bezel, and shifter boot
Watson’s Streetworks LED headlights
Russ Thompson turn signal system
Earl’s 13-row oil cooler w/braided stainless lines
Alex’s wheel well liners
Schroth Profi II ASM FE (cam lock) 4-point Racing harnesses
Bluetooth sound system
Powder coated Halibrand replica wheels w/ Goodyear Eagle F1 tires
Fully carpeted trunk
Rear quick jack delete

1st most asked question: does it have a 427?
2nd most asked question: who did the paint?

So on the subject of paint. Decided to send the car to Jeff Miller to have him work his magic. Decided to have him go ahead and mount the windshield as well. So as he’s reassembling the car after paint he cuts his hand on something behind the dash. Not really a cut so much as a scratch. He sends me this photo.

As I said, really just a scratch. But he’s going on and on about how my car just ruined his life. I tell him, Geez, man - rub some dirt on it. And then I get this photo back.

Check out how reflective the paint is, he says. Yeah, uh-huh, looks great, Jeff. Wait a minute - is he...? And so we now have photographic proof that, at Miller Customs, the customer is always # 1.

Customer service aside , the quality of the paint job speaks for itself. To my eye the roadster body style is simultaneously curvy, pretty, and bad azz. And I think black has a way of accentuating all those things at the same time. Jeff really came through with a basically flawless application of a color that is commonly acknowledged to be one of the most difficult to do well. Extremely happy with how it turned out. Jeff…you’re # 1, too, buddy!

The photos.