Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is anybody running the Metco Drive Shaft Loop On Their MK-III or MK-IV Roadsters?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is anybody running the Metco Drive Shaft Loop On Their MK-III or MK-IV Roadsters?

Hey Gang,

Is anybody running this Safety Loop?

Metco Drive Shaft Safety Loop
    Product ID: MDL2500
    Factory Five Roadster Mk III & Mk IV

It's a bolt on item and looks like it would do the trick.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-29-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one on the shelf, but I am not to the drive-train portion of the build yet. They did a run of them recently for another forum, and that is when I purchased mine. They came highly recommended from folks who had them, and it looks/feels like a quality piece of work.

--Nathan

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at Mike Forte's offering. The mounting is a little different. Any benefit either way?
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    I'm looking at Mike Forte's offering. The mounting is a little different. Any benefit either way?

Great Info!

I got my sway bar from Mike so I'll look at his piece too.

Thanks!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Hey Gang,

Is anybody running this Safety Loop?

Metco Drive Shaft Safety Loop
    Product ID: MDL2500
    Factory Five Roadster Mk III & Mk IV

It's a bolt on item and looks like it would do the trick.

Steve
    I have one installed on mine. Pics in my build thread
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I have one installed on mine. Pics in my build thread

Thanks-O-Million!

That looks like it will really work out well.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve:

I have that same unit on my car. Easy bolt on. 15-20 min. on my back.
    Very sturdy unit. I highly recommend this unit.

Mack

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. have one, simple install, very solid piece. It looks like very good protection. Service from the company was excellent. Highly recommended. Photos in my build thread as well, page 13, #484.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Jazzman!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Forte loop requires drilling the 4-inch tube and installing large nutserts. I haven't personally installed or used, but seen lots of pictures and descriptions. Nice looking solid loop. The Metco loop, which I did buy/install for #7750 is a nice piece and is a straight bolt-on. Takes maybe 20-30 minutes to install.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Sir EdwardB!

Post Thanks / Like
    I put it on, simple bolt on. One possible issue on mine, since I shimmed up the transmission 7/8", I may have to add some spacers or standoffs to raise the hoop just a little. Maybe not. Still working out the geometry on my rear end. As we speak, I'm installing Gordon Levy's adjustable LCA's, so will have to do the drive line alignment all over again. If I do have to raise the hoop, shouldn't be more than 1/2 inch or so. Oh, and I also had to grind down the edge of the hoop a bit, since I ran my parking brake cables above the 4" tube, and they were contacting a little. Just rounded the edge a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Metco Drive Shaft Safety Loop on mine. Solid unit easy install even on a completed car.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Boat737.

These pics really help.

I may order one, but will likely have to modify it a bit to move the hoop as far forward as possible. The Chevy Cobra's drive shaft is a bit longer than the standard piece plus it is also about an inch further forward as well because I've got the Moser TSD-500 rear instead of the 8.8 Ford piece.

Again, these pics really help!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Gang,

I really appreciate the speedy feedback.
    Thank You All & I Hope Everyone Had A Merry Christmas and/or Wonderful Hannuka.
    I now have enough information to make a well-informed decision!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Boat737.

These pics really help.

I may order one, but will likely have to modify it a bit to move the hoop as far forward as possible. The Chevy Cobra's drive shaft is a bit longer than the standard piece plus it is also about an inch further forward as well because I've got the Moser TSD-500 rear instead of the 8.8 Ford piece.

Again, these pics really help!

Steve
    If I remember correctly, The part that mounts to the trans 'A' Frame has slots to allow it to slide fwd-aft about an inch or more. Plus, the trans mount 'A' frame I think has slots as well. Mine is slid all the way rearward, and as you can see in the pics, is still not too far aft. It can slid forward at least another inch. Tomorrow I'll take a look and get a pic of the mount location.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I was partly correct. Both the trans 'A' frame and the Metco unit have slots. I do have mine slid back as far as it can go, but that is limited by the two bolts that actually mount the 'A' frame to the 4" cross tube in the main frame. With different bolts (button head?) or some standoffs, it could be moved back a little further. As for moving it forward, between the two sets of slots, looks as if it can move a good inch or inch-and-a-half before the rear part of the Metco unit starts to hit the 4" cross tube. That may be limited by where your transmission mount sits on that 'A' frame. Again, with some bending and adjusting, could move forward even more than that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks For The Pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    I too used the Metco loop. Nice unit and easy to install.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    I like doing business with Mike, but I think the Metco is a much nicer unit.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    They are both good solutions. I've installed both. The Forte unit on my friend's Mk3.1 and the Metco on my Mk3. The Metco is an easier install but does hang down a hair below the 4-inch tube. The Forte unit is a tougher install, requiring to drill into the 4-inch main tubes and install steel nutserts (tough!) and the alignment of the four nutserts to the loop has to be pretty spot on or you'll be slotting/grinding the loop mounting holes.

Both installs were done several years ago, so if there are any updates to the product they're not reflected in these comments.

HTH!
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well Gang It's Back To The Drawing Board On The Drive Shaft Loop!

1. My drive shaft is about 1.5" longer than the standard piece.
    2. My rear end moves the pinion flange forward about another 1.0" inch. (Moser TSD 500 / Dana 44 Style Case)
    3. With statements #1 & #2 said, the hoop needs to be right up against the 4" round tube cross member in order to work.
    4. The pictures you guys posted made me realize that this piece won't work.
    5. Crap, Crap, Crap, ()*&(*&^*&^*&^%*((*_()+_)(*^^%$#@$#@!!!
    6. Guess it's time to fabricate yet another piece for the Chevy Cobra!
    7. Thank You All For Your Replies Because You All Saved Me Some Money & Some More Expletives!
    8. Here's how two bankers, one son and a great wife install a motor and transmission if you want a laugh.

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-30-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just installed one on a MK4; I did have to shim mine for clearance. If you call Metco - they will send out some very nice machined aluminum spacers and longer hardware free of charge. Great customer service!

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadGo, There is some front to rear latitude on the Metco unit. Also, the loop is not welded to the mount, it bolts on. You could add spacers to raise the loop higher above the drive shaft and get the clearance you need. Metco does not always have the unit in stock. If you go that route I would contact them to know when the next run will be.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    GoDadGo, There is some front to rear latitude on the Metco unit. Also, the loop is not welded to the mount, it bolts on. You could add spacers to raise the loop higher above the drive shaft and get the clearance you need. Metco does not always have the unit in stock. If you go that route I would contact them to know when the next run will be.
    My big issue is that the front U-Joint is right over the 4" round tube cross-member.
    A lot of stuff had to be moved around in order to fit the C-4 Corvette ZF/6-Speed transmission and the 383 SBC Engine in the chassis.
    The good news is it looks like I can fabricate a simple piece and bolt it to the inner seat belt brackets where they attach to the 4" tube.
    I guess this is what you get when you do a "Dark Side Build" and that's okay.
    Just one more thing that needs to be tweaked.

Have A Great & Prosperous New Year Everyone!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-31-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I like doing business with Mike, but I think the Metco is a much nicer unit.
    Same here; I had Mike's and replaced it with the Metco. I'm a big Forte fan, though; whole drive train, plus!
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.