Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Carl's Mk 4 Roadster Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Depending on how much detail you may like Carl, I have seen a few builders make polished bezels for the underside of the hood where the shaft protrudes. They are a nice finishing touch. These could be added anytime in the future of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    Using a step drill bit with tape applied to mark the depth (or the max diameter not to be exceeded) allowed cutting a smaller diameter hole on the inner cover of the hood; shown here with the latch installed.

I found putting a bushing in the hood rib looks more finished plus provides nice stability to the latch mechanism. I used standard bronze bushings from McMaster that fit over the shaft with a little adjustment. Installed before paint so they get finished along with everything else. Works really well. One other comment FWIW. I agree the shaft looks best centered on the rib. But be careful. In this location the tip of the paddle will hit the body opening if you have it rotated around that direction when closing. Ask me how I know. I push them back a little so if that happens it hits the stepped down hood lip area instead. Still catches on the aluminum pieces under the hood lip just fine.

Last edited by edwardb; 03-27-2017 at 06:16 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.