Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Jazzman’s #8745 "Flip Top" Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Ok, I give up. How do you get this thing off?!!!

Note the hex shape in the oil filter threaded adapter in the center? Turn that puppy and the whole assembly will come off, exposing the "normal" oil filter mating surface on the block. I didn't have anything that fit the hex, so jammed two nuts on a bolt, ground them slightly so they fit, and it turned right off. You will need a new short adapter AL3Z-6890-A to replace the long one holding on the oil cooler. Used the same cobbled together tool to install the new adapter. One of little details not in the new FF installation instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    While waiting for a myriad of engine parts to arrive from Summit, I am working on the items I have on hand. First up, engine mounts. On page 23 of the most recent Coyote Engine Installation Instructions from FFR, they reference several 1/2" thick engine mount spacers, #16249, #16250, and #16251. These appear in the drawings to be 1/2" thick pieces of solid steel. Maybe it is because it is after midnight, but I don't ever remember seeing any parts even close to those shapes, and I think I would remember pieces of 1/2" thick solid steel, even if only due to the weight. I rechecked my inventory, and I couldn't even find these parts listed. Does anyone know what box they should have been in, or what else they would have been packed with? I know EdwardB used a Whitby 3/8" spacer, and I am not sure if the spacer he references is for the same purpose. I think so. I may have to contact FFR on Monday.
    I originally used the Whitby spacers on top of the chassis motor mounts. But noticed the same 1/2-inch steel spacers that FF designed to fit inside the motor mounts in the new Coyote installation instructions. Decided to give them a try. Ordered in July and received in August. They had just been designed and released to production. They weren't available when I ordered my kit, and I suspect only included in very recent deliveries with the Coyote installation option. I think they're a big improvement over the external spacers, and the added thickness makes the engine fit even better. I recommend them.

Parts as received. I cleaned them up and hit with some chassis matching paint.

Installed. I did mine after the fact by raising the engine just enough to get the motor mounts in/out. Obviously would be much easier to put them in from the start. This was a fairly recent update in my build thread.

Last edited by edwardb; 09-24-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.