Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Finaly get to build a FFR

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finaly get to build a FFR

I've been watching the Cobra replica market since the late 90's and I have always had some gripes about some of kits and rollers that where on the market. I think Factory five has finally come out on top of this game. They by far have the best chassis backed by real world racing and feedback from some good drivers. Now they made the car period correct with things like hidden trunk hinges, rivet on hood scoop, round front "X" member and body lines nearly the same as the original cars I just can't see any thing wrong with their car. I had the privilege of visiting FFR 3 years ago with my family when in Massachusetts and I met Dave Smith in person. It was this meeting and the factory tour that set them far apart from some other manufacturers. Being an avid track driver/instructor with many days spent on track every year and with many years of past wheel to wheel kart racing has made me very anxious to build a FFR track / Street car.

Knowing that FFR usually does a spring 50/50 sale, I have decided to start with the power train while waiting for the sale. Originally I was going to go with a big block but after looking into the weight issues I finally make the choice to go with a 351W based dart stroker block. To date I have Purchased the following in hopes to complete the drive train prior to the cars arrival, and keep me busy this winter.

Keith Craft 460ci 351W stroker motor built to my specifications.
    MMR TKO 900
    McLeod twin disk clutch
    All other accessory parts needed for the motor (starter, pulleys, alternator, etc)
    MSD6AL-2 ignition box

After browsing the forums and looking into the fine details I do have a few questions however for the Guru's in the form as I’m getting ready to order some more parts.

1) I live in Michigan so I must have wipers on the car. I have been reading about the FFR wiper kit and I’m not sure if I would be better served to get the kit from Finish line as it's all Lucas parts, or is getting the FFR kit with the finish line wheel boxes the way to go.

2) Does the finish line center cobra steering wheel badges fit the FFR wheel and hub? https://www.**********accessories.co...enter-cap.aspx

3) I like the original style ffr wheels but I can’t get sport cup2 or super sport tires for them. Are there any other recommendations for tires that fit the ffr wheels 17” or 18” that are a good dual purpose for a 650-700 hp car with 75% track use? If not I will go with a separate set of wheels with a good set of Hoosiers.

4) Suspension set up; FFR now sells a sway bar for the front but not the rear. Vintage Performance Motor cars sells a front and rear kit that looks good as it's adjustable so in theory depending on the final bias of the car I can tune it in for how I like it. The problem is I can't find much info on their parts.

Here are some pictures to date.
    IMG_1892.JPG IMG_1893.JPG IMG_1889.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 10-25-2016 at 02:15 PM.