Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Tools for building Cobra

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys need to harden up! Pneumatic rivet guns? What's next... Automatic transmissions???

You will still need a manual rivet gun in your pink garage while you are sipping your wine spritzer. Get a swivel head one. It will reach places that nothing else will.

I generally don't like Harbor Freight junk. But here is where they shine:
    1. Their torque wrenches have been tested time and time again, by magazines, websites, etc.. They are more than accurate enough for automotive work.
    2. Digital calipers. They are the EXACT same ones sold by many companies. The Sears Craftsman ones are the same as HF with their logo on the scale.
    3. Rivnut gun. I have many many rivnuts in my build. They are awesome. Refills from McMaster-Carr
    4. 3ft long - 3/4"drive breaker bar. I call mine Elmo. Elmo gets it done when the going gets tough and I'm not.
    5. 30" metal brake. If you do anything custom, or want your nose panels to fit, you will use it.

You will only need a higher range torque wrench (250 ft-lbs) for one thing. Front hubs. Your local Advance or Auto Zone has loaners. Oops, I see that was covered.

Debur / countersink bit for your drill. EVERY hole you drill should get a quick hit.

Tip - hit all of the edges of AL panels with sandpaper. lightly round the corners of brackets, etc. It makes a nicer build if there is nothing sharp on the car. I can reach in or under anywhere and not get cut.
    If I build again, I am getting a combination disk / belt table top sander.
    A friend of mine has what is basically a jig saw in a little table, like a router table. That was REALLY nice for cutting custom aluminum parts. I didn't even know they existed. I think is was from Lowes.

Sharpies. Lots of Sharpies. Get some metallic ones too. And paint pens. When you torque something, mark it. Then you know it is done when you come back a few days later.

I have a really nice Bone creeper. You know what I use 99% of the time? A SummitRacing "pit pad". It doesn't move when you crank on a wrench.

Oh! Congrats on the order!!! You are in for a lot of fun and new friends.
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 02-22-2017 at 06:10 PM.