Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: GlenH's MK4 Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

GlenH's MK4 Build

Well after a lot of years I am finally going to get to do it. I ordered a complete MK4 in mid March. My completion date in April 15th. Stewart has informed me that they intend to load the week of the 17th.

I have spent the last few weeks getting the body buck built along with a temporary frame dolly. I had to make the frame dolly taller than I wanted to allow me to use my trailer to meet Stewart(No way for him to get to the house). It is setup for motorcycles and the dolly will need to clear the wheel chocks. Once I get everything home I will cut down the legs to allow it to fit under the body buck.

Spent this weekend rearranging the garage to get everything in. I have two garages, but one of my lovely wifes requests was that this project does not wind up taking up space in "her" garage. Of course I agreed. Now I'm thinking that I never agreed that other things (like motorcycles) would not migrate over to her garage. I don't think that will fly so things are going to be a little tight.

I have three sons ranging from 18 to 25 so I hope to turn this into a family project that all of us can work together on. None of us have done anything like this before, but have spent a lot of time building and rebuilding motorcycle, so hopefully we can manage.

Now on to the kit.

MKIV Complete kit
    Powder coated chassis
    Body cut outs
    3-link year suspension
    Power Steering
    17" Halibrand Wheel/tire package
    Wilwod Brakes
    Stainless Side exhaust
    Chrome Driver and Passenger Roll Bar
    Heater Defroster
    Wipers

Going to go with a fuel injected 347 and a TKO600.

I plan to do a couple of the mods I have seen from others as well.
    Breeze engine compartment battery mount
    Drop Trunk
    Russ Thompson Turn Signal

I have not decided on a color combo yet, but I'm leaning toward black with smoke gray stripes.

Glen
    Powhatan, VA
    Last edited by GlenH; 06-30-2017 at 07:09 AM.