Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Ducky2009 MK4 Build #9035

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

DS Footbox Modification

I decided to modify the DS footbox. At 6'2" and with Kirkey seats, I found my right legs resting against the 45 degree bend in the stock sheetmetal..... not very comfortable. Did I mention by knees bother me and I want to straighten my legs as much as possible. Now the DS footbox looks more like the PS footbox. Also added Al's HNR (heat and noise reducer).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

2. Likes BlueMud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    I decided to modify the DS footbox. At 6'2" and with Kirkey seats, I found my right legs resting against the 45 degree bend in the stock sheetmetal..... not very comfortable. Did I mention by knees bother me and I want to straighten my legs as much as possible. Now the DS footbox looks more like the PS footbox. Also added Al's HNR (heat and noise reducer).
    Nice work. That mod makes such a big difference for long legs.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'm surprised that you didn't have sufficient room, especially given that you have the latest version of the footbox sheetmetal. But, it's not my car... I'm a couple of inches shorter than you and I have enough room. Then again, I've been fortunate that my knees are still holding up It looks like you extended the inside wall mostly at the transmission end of the footbox?
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    I guess I'm surprised that you didn't have sufficient room, especially given that you have the latest version of the footbox sheetmetal. But, it's not my car... I'm a couple of inches shorter than you and I have enough room. Then again, I've been fortunate that my knees are still holding up It looks like you extended the inside wall mostly at the transmission end of the footbox?
    Al,

With the Kirkey seat set-up I can't straighten my right leg out while driving. (The back of the seat, at floor level, is several inches from the cockpit wall. The seat tilts back a little, so you have to shift it forward so the top doesn't hit the body lip in the back). I still can't straighten my leg all the way but I not longer have the bumps. I started at the trans tunnel end... it tapers it in a straight line all the way to the gas pedal. Took the 45 degree bend out. It is a little wider at the gas pedal too.

ALSO: The new footbox adds width, not length..... I think
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 03-10-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I so wish I had done this!! Good job. I'll bet that is a real improvement.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan