Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lahrs37 View Post
    I have been totally lurking for a while watching your build. It is looking great! I have the same seat as you, but I was planning on putting them on sliders. From your experience, is that doable? I am shorter than you at 6' so I don't anticipate needing as much room.
    I have never looked at sliders because I knew I did not want them. My main aversion to them was the seat sitting any higher than it had to and putting my head near or above the top of the windshield. At 6'3" I am comfortable in the car but it is still quite tight. If I were 6' there is still no way I would need a slider. I think at 6' and the seat all the way back it would be darn near perfect. Of course that does not really accommodate any shorter drivers. Some of my wife's friends have desires to drive my car. Perfect built in excuse when I tell them sorry you are to short and the seat does not adjust! haha

I have spent a lot of time on those seats so i will add a few more comments. The seat brackets I bought allow a little recline which increased the comfort. The kirkey lumbar support I ordered from summit drastically increased my comfort in the car. In fact I have a neighbor that works from home that comes and helps me all the time when I need hands during the day. He loves going on go cart rides. After I put the lumbar in the drivers seat only and he sat in it he strongly requested one for the passenger side!
    The seat heaters work great installed in these seats. Cutting the foam away and inserting the heater and glueing the foam back was quite tedious but I am very glad I did it. I have no windshield yet and have driven the car in the low 40s. The seats keep me very warm. I think once the windshield and wind wings are in place driving with those in cooler weather will be quite nice. I am very satisfied I opted for seat heaters instead of the heater. (brand new heater for sale though at a great deal, I changed course after I ordered it)

I was advised not to even think about installing those seats before the body was in place. That is why I came up with a system that will allow me to move the seat location on the plate relatively easy. The outside shoulder bolster is going to be very tight to the body. I have read lots of cases where guys have bent them in. I got some pictures of the body overhang and measurement at various locations around that seat. I am expecting to need to move the seat and possibly needing to bend the shoulder bolster when it comes time to put the seat in with the body on. One thing to think about with sliders is the position of that side bolster as the seat moves fore and aft in relation to the body. I will pass on the same advice as the experienced guys told me. Wait to permanently mount the seat or have a provision for adjustment after the body is on.

In regards to the seat brackets I used. I think they are meant to attach to the seat with the flat part that mates to the floor on the outside. There just is not enough width in the cockpit to accommodate that setup. At first I just reversed them and had both flat parts under the seat. Then I realized on the side of the seat next to the door you have room for the bracket as it is intended. Since I had 4 total brackets, 2 of each type for the 2 seats I ended up using the two that were alike on the same seat and the other two that were alike on the other seat. Hopefully that makes sense. So basically the part of the seat next to the transmission tunnel has the bracket more under the seat and the side of the seat by the door has the bracket pointing out.

Last thing and I have not addressed this yet is it is recommended that seat also be attached to the rear cockpit wall. I am debating whether this is necessary but it seems like a good idea. Working out a mounting system for the rear wall with the seat in a fixed position will require some thought. If the seat is on a slider that would really require some thought!

Hope that is useful!
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 12-08-2016 at 01:34 PM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides