I have a 1967 289 2V engine in my possession. It was supposedly "gone through", but I don't know exactly what that means, I don't know if the job was done correctly, and I don't know if I can/should trust the motor. (My gut says "NO".) I would like to jump all the way to another Coyote motor, but the total cost for such a swap is very substantial. I know I am going to have to spend some amount of money to get whatever I choose to use. I just don't know where my money would be best spent:

1) rebuild the 289, leave it pretty much stock, perhaps add better flowing heads, a 4V intake manifold, and newer carb.
2) rebuild the 289, add EFI
3) rebuild the 289, bump it up to a 302, perhaps even a 331 or 347 (then should It be carbed or EFI)
4) pickup up a solid 351W motor, preferably refurbished.
5) just pry open my wallet and do the Coyote! (Yes, it is what I would really like, but I don't like the price tag!!)

Now I know there are a lot of variables here, and much of it comes down to personal taste, budget, purpose etc. Can you give me some "real world guess-timations" of the cost to do each option? Do you have better ideas? The car will be a semi-daily driver, it doesn't have to break land speed records, but it does have to be dependable. Good mileage is a plus, but not critical.