Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  255
Likes Likes:  391
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EdwardB’s 35 Hot Rod Truck Build

Post Thanks / Like

Hinges and Doors

OK, I lied. Had some time before we drive away so decided to dive into the doors. Won’t get too serious until the body is mounted and I actually start fitting them. Which by all accounts is interesting. We’ll see. First up was modifying the provided hinges. Have read some accounts about this as well. Not sure exactly what unobtainium they’re made from. But not very friendly material. I followed the directions for the most part. Appreciated that FF provides templates. Cut the one side using the Milwaukee portable band saw mentioned before. Slow going but worked fine and cleaned the edges on my disk sander. Then drilled all the 1/8” holes. Worked with lots of cutting oil. Enlarging them and tapping the one hole in each with the kit provided tap also went OK. Again with lots of cutting oil. My challenge was with the very large countersinks. I didn’t have any that big, so picked up a 3/4" Ryobi high speed steel one at Home Depot. Only thing I could find quickly and locally. Worked OK for a while, but then just wouldn’t cut any more. Even watching the speed and feed rate, and again lots of cutting oil, it lost the battle with the hinge material. Tried sharpening it but didn’t help. Shopped around (McMaster, etc.) to see if there were better options. There are, but many times more expensive than the $10 Ryobi pieces. So back to HD, took their last two, and was able to complete but pretty much doing those in too. Kind of an expensive exercise but still cheaper (and faster) than ordering up something better. I don’t know how anyone would do these without at least a drill press. Wouldn’t be fun at all.

Then onto the doors. Dug out the frames and related parts and found they wouldn’t fit through the opening without some trimming to the opening. The doors in general are cut decently. But the opening was irregular. I hate making fiberglass dust in my shop. But fortunately, it was 50 degrees outside today. So out on the drive and cut and cleaned up the openings and overall a bit. With that started mocking up how the pieces go into the doors. Again, Factory Five provides templates for the hinges and latch. Nice touch. I marked all the locations but haven’t cut anything yet. Want to double check against the locations on the frame. That’s about as far as I got.

But leaves me with some questions for other truck builders who have moved past this part.

1. Did you find the hinge and latch templates were accurate? I’m a measure twice (at least…) and cut once kind of builder and really hate having to make repairs when I mess up.

2. With the inner frame set into the intended locations, there are some gaps between the frame and where it meets the inside of the door shell. Especially on the hinge sides, where the hinges are on the outside against the fiberglass. I would expect a tight fit or they’ll starting bending things when tightened. I cleaned up the inner fiberglass as much as possible. But it’s just not perfectly flat. I’m thinking of bedding the frame ends in HSRF when finally installed to fill the gaps. Your experience or suggestion?

3. Finally, is there any reason I can’t permanently mount the frames now? Once I confirm the right locations? It looks like everything else that needs to be added (door handles, power windows, etc.) can be installed with the frame in place. What do you think?

On the parts front, still waiting for my power brake system. Back and forth several times with the supplier this week and frankly I’m running out of patience. (Not a forum vendor or a company I’ve seen anyone else mention. So no worries there.) They’re still waiting on the MC from Wilwood. They’re main response this week is I can cancel the order if I want. I’m going to wait until we’re back home on the 15th. If no progress, going to look for plan B. It’s a hard time I know. But that MC is available in multiple places. Summit, Amazon, Speedway, etc. Even offered to send them one for a credit. But they insist on getting it direct from Wilwood.

Onward.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-04-2021 at 07:14 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

2. Likes Pat Landymore liked this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. the templates get you pretty close. But you will need to possibly modify some stuff. I had to modify the chassis frame brackets to get the proper door alignment.
    2. you will need to do what you feel best in this area.
    3. you can permanently install the frames. However the doors are IMO the most difficult part of the truck kit. It will test your patience for sure.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Hot-Rod-Pickup
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-04-2021 at 07:17 AM.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

4. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Likes edwardb, Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

But leaves me with some questions for other truck builders who have moved past this part.

1. Did you find the hinge and latch templates were accurate? I’m a measure twice (at least…) and cut once kind of builder and really hate having to make repairs when I mess up.
    Yes, they are excellent, With your patience and skill they will work out well.

2. With the inner frame set into the intended locations, there are some gaps between the frame and where it meets the inside of the door shell. Especially on the hinge sides, where the hinges are on the outside against the fiberglass. I would expect a tight fit or they’ll starting bending things when tightened. I cleaned up the inner fiberglass as much as possible. But it’s just not perfectly flat. I’m thinking of bedding the frame ends in HSRF when finally installed to fill the gaps. Your experience or suggestion? Agreed, This is tough, I have had to trim the steel frame to allow it to sit flush as well as clean up the inside of the door, if they don't sit flat together you are correct, they will make things get funky when tightened.

3. Finally, is there any reason I can’t permanently mount the frames now? Once I confirm the right locations? It looks like everything else that needs to be added (door handles, power windows, etc.) can be installed with the frame in place. What do you think? you can, however you will likely want to remove the hinges for paint and body work, and these hold the frames in. I have done it both ways, its worth the effort(IMHO) to remove the frames for paint and body work, You have to be careful with reassembly, but that is not beyond your skill set.

On the parts front, still waiting for my power brake system. Back and forth several times with the supplier this week and frankly I’m running out of patience. (Not a forum vendor or a company I’ve seen anyone else mention. So no worries there.) They’re still waiting on the MC from Wilwood. They’re main response this week is I can cancel the order if I want. I’m going to wait until we’re back home on the 15th. If no progress, going to look for plan B. It’s a hard time I know. But that MC is available in multiple places. Summit, Amazon, Speedway, etc. Even offered to send them one for a credit. But they insist on getting it direct from Wilwood.

Onward.
    Responses Imbedded.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

6. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Likes Pat Landymore, edwardb liked this post
    East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ This ^^^
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

8. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Likes edwardb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. Have a good idea what to do now.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the doors are the most challenging part of the build. I powder coated my frames before the assembly process. The frames are bent just I smidge to far to get a flat tight fit in the hinge pocket area I have truck 16 and mine were like that as well. . Once the door is hung on the truck that’s where all the monkeying begins. I had to twist the rear of the door and retighten the crash beam bolts and the rear pocket by the latch bolts to get the twist to hold the door where I wanted it.
    I’m sure you will have now problem figuring it out. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Sharp set of wheels, been following your build and it looks awesome. You do great work!!

12. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back At It – LS Frontrunner

Arrived back home from our trip to Texas. 3,000+ miles. Went by the Embassy in San Marcos on our way in and out of town. Looked pretty quiet without all Cobras that will be there in a couple weeks. For those that will attend, have a great time. We made it there two years ago. But timing just didn't work this year. Had a nice family visit and was great meeting our fourth grandchild for the first time. Special memories.

While gone, Vintage Air shipped my frontrunner setup. So was waiting for me when we got back. Still nothing on my power brake setup. I’m working on an alternate plan and expect to make a decision this week if the supplier doesn't come through. Finished installing the frontrunner setup today. It wasn’t cheap. But I’m very pleased with the quality, the instructions, how everything fit, and now the final product. The components are all high quality including a nice 170 amp alternator, Sanden A/C compressor, an ATI Super Damper harmonic balancer, nice billet aluminum mounts for everything, and even ARP hardware. The biggest challenge was changing out the stock balancer with the ATI piece. None of the tool rental places had a puller for an LS style balancer. So Amazon to the rescue even though I probably (hopefully…) won’t use it again. Also picked up a flywheel lock. Cheap and not sure I could have accomplished the swap without it. Followed the directions exactly and everything worked out. It's a good pull and right at my limit to get the retaining bolt for the balancer torqued. But done. I still have to get a different thermostat and thermostat housing. Other than that, ready to go. Both length and width worked out fine. It’s going into fit in the chassis and body just fine. Here are some pics. Will go back to working on the doors for now.

Last edited by edwardb; 03-17-2021 at 06:05 AM.

14. Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots Going On

Finally time for another update. First parts. It’s been a few weeks since I checked in with Factory Five and received prompt responses. I’m still missing eight items. Couple are now in stock and a couple should be soon. So hopefully I’ll be getting those. Several are still without promises. Confirmed spindles slipped to late May or early June, as I saw in at least one other build thread. The circumstances are different and hopefully not as bad. But reminds me a little of the wheel challenge of a few years ago. Good news is that got resolved, everyone got their wheels, and it’s a distant memory. Looking forward to that with the spindles like many others. At this point nothing is holding me up and won’t for a while.

The other part issue that I’ve been reporting and following up closely is my power brake setup. I’ll spare the details. The good news is today I finally received a shipment and we’re making progress. But there are still issues. I’ve got another direction that shouldn’t take as long if this doesn’t get resolved. Let’s just say I’ve learned how credit card disputes work. First time for me. To be continued.

As far as real work, several areas to report on. As mentioned in a previous update, I purchased a Dakota Digital CRC-1000-2 GM LS drive-by-wire cruise control kit. This version uses an HND-2 dash mounted controller. To be honest, I wasn’t all that happy with the controller when received. Buttons don't have a great feel and the appearance is just not what I'm looking for. I really wanted the HND-3 controller that mounts on the end of the turn signal. Like many DD’s. But as I stated in a previous update, didn’t like that it would mean a wire down the outside of my Ididit steering column. Turns out I was wrong. Upon further review, the cable is inside the steering column and completely hidden. So I ordered and received the HND-3 controller. Took some major fiddling but was able to snake the cable down inside next to the main ribbon cable. Would have been easier to take the GM style turn signal assembly out. But it uses a snap ring that takes a special tool to remove. Managed to get it done without taking anything apart. So happy with that change. The only surprise is that after talking to Dakota Digital, turns out I needed a different interface cable between the controller and the cruise control module. Part number 394207 ordered and received. It’s more than just swapping pins or I would have done that. It also has an inline inverter. So I should be all set. But sure would have been easier (and cheaper) if I’d have selected the right kit version to start with. Since this picture was taken, pulled a little slack in the cable to keep it away from moving parts and tacked it down with a blob of silicone RTV.

I started working on the cold air intake for the LS3. For my Gen 2 Coyote, I used Spectre parts. For my Gen 3 Coyote, I used Treadstone Performance parts. Both listed in the Factory Five Coyote instructions. Several builders have reported issues getting parts from Treadstone. But reported good results from Performance MRP. So placed an order with them for the 4” MAF housing (with air straightener) and a 90-degree silicone elbow. Air cleaner I’ll figure out later. Still unsure of the exact space available. Shipped the same day and was here in two days. The MAF housing is perfect. Unfortunately, I didn’t check the length of the legs on the 90-degree elbow close enough. Not long enough to clear the LS3 front accessory drive. So back the elbow went. They don’t have any other options. But ones that will work are available elsewhere.

I previously mentioned starting work on the doors. Spent a lot of time since then. Nearly every truck build thread has some comments about them. They are a lot of work and can be challenging. The kit comes with a 2-piece frame that mounts inside the door shell. One side against the back and holds the bear claw style latches. The other side on the front holds the two hinges. The cross piece holds the power window mechanism. The kit has nice templates for where to mount on each side. But the challenge I found is that the flats on the frame didn’t always fit tight against the inside of the door skins. Which they need to for maximum strength and to prevent distorting the fiberglass in the case of the hinges. With some sanding and correcting the angle on the metal pieces on the latch sides, I was able to get acceptable. But neither hinge side was great. Especially one even after I removed some metal from the frame and cut the glass a bit. I’m positive not many builders will agree with what I did next (in fact maybe no one…) but I decided to bed the frame sides in 3M HSRF. That filled the gaps around the hinge and latch mounting points, made them rock solid, and all is good. The bad part is those frames are not coming out again. Won't describe everything I did, but I spent a whole bunch of time making sure they were in the exact right position including checking the fit against the body repeatedly. Which looks pretty good at this stage. Also was really careful not to put any stress or bends in the door shells. Wouldn't be easy, but was careful nonetheless. Put some rattle can satin black chassis paint on the bare metal frames before installing. Also put two panels of Second Skin Damplifier Pro sound deadening material on the doors. I’m happy with how this all turned out. But it’s a pretty big gamble. It will be some months before I find out if I made the right decision.

Next up I decided I could get the exhaust system completely sorted out then remove as one piece each side and be ready to finally install later. Also I wanted to get the exact positions in advance of routing fuel lines, brake lines, electrical harnesses, transmission cooling lines, e-brake cables, etc. After my initial mock-up, had some questions so posted a separate thread. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...tion-Questions. Received some excellent feedback and now have them installed. I ended up not putting hangers on each side of the mufflers as the instructions show. I think overkill plus the mounting is a little clunky IMO. Rather just one large one on each side at the back. I used the Pypes Exhaust HVH11S suggested by Gary in that linked thread along with the kit rubber lined mounts. Bent those to fit over the frame and held in place with 5/16” nutserts. It’s super solid with just the right amount of dampening. The main departure I made from the instructions was to rotate the mufflers so that the exits are on the inside vs. the outside. Based on other build pictures, seems the LS setup is a bit wider than others. With the exits on the outside, the last tubes ran into the rear LCA mounts. Inside fits perfectly. I always enjoy working with my lift (except when it keeps bumping into my head…) but especially for getting this exhaust system figured out and installed. Sorry for the somewhat crummy pictures. But not going to apologize for the sun shining through the windows.

Hope to start working on the power brake installation and then all the behind the dash stuff. Also can do some more work on the doors doing some of the pre-work for the power windows. Meanwhile, the weather is pretty much changing and I’ve had the Coupe out twice. Local events are starting in April along with club events. Still low key and following guidelines. But great to get out. Will cut into building time, but that’s OK.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-01-2021 at 06:11 AM.

16. Likes Fman, Higgybulin, Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As for your air intake, might want to look at my thread on the subject. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...intake-install

Gary
    FFR Gen 2 35 truck, Barrett Jackson edition # 4, chassis # 81, 525HP LS3 & 4L75E, 8.8" 3 link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by House Money View Post
    As for your air intake, might want to look at my thread on the subject. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...intake-install

Gary
    Missed that post. Thanks for the heads up. I'll review further and get mine planned out. Yours looks good. I agree with using T-bolt style clamps. I had a flat bed tow of shame incident with my Coyote powered Roadster when the worm drive clamps on the intake failed. I've used the T-bolt style since. Much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I realized that post needed to be updated, so might want to take another look.

Gary
    FFR Gen 2 35 truck, Barrett Jackson edition # 4, chassis # 81, 525HP LS3 & 4L75E, 8.8" 3 link.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Vintage Air LS Frontrunner looks clean and compact nestled in the tubular engine compartment, is that anodized black or black chrome? Which ever it is I will be researching it online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HotrodMike View Post
    The Vintage Air LS Frontrunner looks clean and compact nestled in the tubular engine compartment, is that anodized black or black chrome? Which ever it is I will be researching it online.
    You might want to take a look at the Holley set-up too. Here is a link to my post about it: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ccessory-drive

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HotrodMike View Post
    It's anodized black. I'm happy with how everything fit. Instructions are good. Did take about 6 weeks to get after I ordered. Quality parts like the branded Sanden A/C compressor, ATI SFI balancer, ARP hardware, etc. Not saying others aren't similar. But I'm glad I went with it. Other finishes are available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad the MAF housing worked out, I have nothing but good to say about Performance MRP. Great product, US based, and FAST!

24. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Power Windows

Couple updates ago I showed work on the doors. While waiting for other parts, decided to install the power windows. First time I’ve even done anything like this. Was a learning experience and a study in patience to be honest. First the good news. Congratulations to Factory Five engineering for figuring everything out. It’s pretty amazing how it all goes together given the angles, clearances, etc. But as I found out, very little margin for error. The build manual in this case is relatively thorough and takes you through all the steps.

All the pieces and parts come with the kit. Based on the labels and instructions, from Ball’s Rod and Kustom, and are listed on their website as made in the USA. All the parts seem robust and well made. The motors and track assemblies run smooth and strong. All good. The glass is custom, with the same DOT code as the windshield and rear cab glass. Seems decent.

I won’t replay all the steps in the build manual. But here are some observations after several days at it:

1. The lift track is held near the center by a metal bracket that’s part of the inner door frame. Then attached at the top and bottom of the fiberglass door opening. Way back when I first worked on my doors I cleaned up the perimeter of the opening and made all the sides the same width. My OCD at work. I don’t remember taking off a lot of material. But I was left with the lift track mounting points very close to the edge at both top and bottom. Didn’t want to leave it that way. So bonded a 1 x 3 inch piece of .063 aluminum at the bottom edges with a 1/4 inch overhang. Moved the top up slightly and the bottom is mainly held by the added plate.

2. It’s not explained in the manual, but the glass has to be slid into place first. Front angled corner through the window opening and down into the lower part of the door. Then it can be pivoted and raised up into position. Then the lift mechanism. Track first under the frame toward the hinge side of the door. Then the lift motor under the frame at the center cutout. Down and back up with the mount bracket on top of the frame. Removal in both cases is just the opposite. The above might be obvious to some. But it wasn’t for me. I lost track of how many times I had the pieces in and out. A bunch.

3. Also not explained in the manual, but once you have the lift track and lift motor positioned, you have to drill holes in the door frame for the mount. They are not pre-drilled. I can see why because there could be some variation. No big deal, but it’s relatively thick steel you get to drill through.

4. I found the angle of the lift track must be very carefully set. The manual describes that it needs to be at a slight angle so the glass runs evenly in the frame. But it also has to be at just the right angle and distance to clear the door latch inside. It ends up very close.

5. The kit provides felted weatherstrip for the inside of the window frame, and what’s interestingly called “cat head weatherstrip” for the outside. I admit it does have kind of that profile. But could have been any number of other animals. (Sorry cat lovers.) It all works pretty OK with one exception I’ll describe later. But what I did find was that while the felt lined material allows the glass to slide freely the cat head material does not. Both are somewhat compressible, so the inclination is to cut the slot in the fiberglass window frame to compress the weatherstrip some. Be very careful. I had to cut mine twice because the first time I make it too tight. The glass would barely move. Just a little compression is all that’s needed.

6. The build manual describes installed stops at the top and bottom of the lift track. I found it only needed stops at the top. The bottom hits the limit of the mechanism with about 1/2 inch of glass still sticking out. Which is fine. Speaking of that, the lift motor and mechanism is electrically very basic. It’s either on or off. And the glass moves relatively quickly. When it hits the stops, the motor is stalled. So you need to let go of the button. It’s OK as long as you understand that. Hold onto the button with it stalled and seems you could blow a fuse or damage something. That also means there’s no express up or down like on most DD’s, although I see on Ball’s website they do sell a module that provides that function. Also means the windows are potentially dangerous like in the good old days. Watch the fingers, hands, arms, etc. and kids around them.

7. Finally, nothing is mentioned but I’m planning to put a couple drain holes in the bottom of the doors. The windows seem to seal up reasonably well. But I’d still want a pathway for water to exit and not pool in the bottom.

So with that, here are pictures. Not really much can be seen here. Just that the mechanism and windows are in and they power up and down the way you’d expect.

Now for the one remaining issue. Which is also documented in another thread by FLFrank35: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...oor-window-gap. The cat head weatherstrip is supposed to be applied along the bottom inside edge. In addition to the entire outside border. Unfortunately, the gap when all is said and done on mine is 9/16” on the left door and 1/2" on the right door. That’s from the installed glass to the edge of the factory cut opening with all the other weatherstripping installed. In both cases, too wide for the supplied weatherstrip to fill. Compounding the problem a bit is the fiberglass is pretty flexible across that area. Needless to say it would have been better for this to have been left with some to trim off like every other part of the window frame. I’ve set my doors aside for now and will see what others come up with. Also keeping my eye out for some other weatherstripping that might work. It would be technically possible to build up the edge with fiberglass, cloth, HSRF, etc. But not sure that’s the best solution.

In the ongoing saga of my power brakes, I do now have mostly what I’m supposed to have. From a company I’ll never use again thank you very much. Not a forum vendor and not one I’ve ever seen mentioned. Tomorrow I’m going to start laying things out and dive into it. I’ll explain more and post some pictures when there’s something to see. In summary what I will have is vacuum power brakes. Dual master cylinder with integral reservoirs (Wilwood), proportioning valve, and hydraulic brake light switch in the engine compartment on the firewall. Tight but so far looks like it will fit. Then a brake pedal without the Wilwood pedal box on the inside. Eliminating the Wilwood pedal box gives me a little more space. Plus the right pedal ratio for power brakes. I don’t need the clutch pedal because of the auto trans obviously. I’ll have to do some cutting on the firewall frame and probably have some welding done. Welding isn’t on my resume. We’ll see what other unintended consequences this causes. Just received an email of some more POL items shipping from Factory Five. Progress.

Our early spring has allowed me to get the Coupe out several times now. Yesterday as I was going out the door for another drive, my bride said “What about me?” so along she went. Had a great cruise. Running great and A/C blowing cold. Other than being stuck behind a slow pickup truck during some of the best curves. Don’t these people have rear view mirrors? Hope to get to a Cars and Coffee this Saturday if it doesn’t rain. That time of year too. Have I mentioned how much I like that car?
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-07-2022 at 02:58 PM.

26. Thanks Pat Landymore thanked for this post
    Likes Pat Landymore, frankeeski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good your making great progress. Couple things to keep in mind.
    The outside mirrors need to be installed before you set the glass for the final time with urethane because they are set behind the glass. I fabricated a small piece of metal as a backing plate to give it some rigidity to bolt to the fiberglass door.
    The inner upper part of the door is flimsy for sure when you install the door trim panel it will stiffen it up however I glued a paint stick on the inside for a little more support.
    The door trim panels are thick aluminum backed and are straight as an arrow and now your door has a twist in it the panel will need to be twisted to match and lay flat on the door but no big deal just a heads up on that.
    You have a beautiful build going on whats your plan for the bed ?
    I used a product from Smokey road rod shop . It’s a aluminum bed that looks just like wood and very easy to install with zero maintenance. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robodent View Post
    Looks good your making great progress. Couple things to keep in mind.
    The outside mirrors need to be installed before you set the glass for the final time with urethane because they are set behind the glass. I fabricated a small piece of metal as a backing plate to give it some rigidity to bolt to the fiberglass door.
    The inner upper part of the door is flimsy for sure when you install the door trim panel it will stiffen it up however I glued a paint stick on the inside for a little more support.
    The door trim panels are thick aluminum backed and are straight as an arrow and now your door has a twist in it the panel will need to be twisted to match and lay flat on the door but no big deal just a heads up on that.
    You have a beautiful build going on whats your plan for the bed ?
    I used a product from Smokey road rod shop . It’s a aluminum bed that looks just like wood and very easy to install with zero maintenance. Rob
    Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. My glass isn't set and won't be until final assembly. Agree about the backing plate on the mirrors. I haven't placed them or the door handles yet. Want to wait until the doors are trimmed and fitted to get the exact locations. The window mechanism and glass all go in and out somewhat easily. As I've done many times already. Maybe Factory Five made a change on the door cards? Mine are bent to (mostly) fit to the shape of the door. Agree they will add some strength. I mentioned that in the thread I linked to. I also had thought about gluing something on the backside to stiffen it a bit. But still left with the too large gap issue which is TBD.

The aluminum bed is an interesting option. I ordered the optional wood bed with my kit. But word from Factory Five is they lost their vendor and are looking for a new one. I've already suggested they could cancel and give me a credit. There are plenty of options including this one I'll check out.

Post Thanks / Like

Sneak Peak

After a lot of measuring and checking, confirmed the booster and master cylinder would fit. So out came the Sawzall, air saw, angle grinder, and whatever else I could get my hands on to cut a 2-1/2" diameter hole in the frame. Also put all the Wilwood pedal box stuff up for sale. So I’m committed now. With the unit in the planned location as pictured (even with the Wilwood cover the wrong direction), clears the hood, side panel and engine on the outside. On the inside, the pedal arm just clears the steering column and mount for the Ididit column. Everything lines up and looks good. Brake pedal to accelerator spacing is very close to what it would have been with the original setup. I’ve ordered a piece of sheet steel from McMaster to make a plate for the firewall and the brackets to hold the pedal. I’ll post some pictures and provide more details when it’s more finalized. But I think this is going to work. Pretty excited about it.

Received a POL box today from Factory Five today with three more parts. Now down to just five open. Based on the most recent update, will be a while before a couple of these are closed. But feel like the end is near. This topic gets a lot of attention here and especially it seems over on the Facebook builders group. Patience remains the order of the day and even though I’ve had to jump around a bit, really hasn’t slowed me down.

Side note. I received a few comments about my seeming need to always be bumping my head when working under the lift. Appears I’m not the only one who does that. Just to put everyone’s mind at ease (I know you were worried…) I’m now the proud owner of a Skullerz 8950 safety bump cap. I’ve got it hanging on the lift next to the controls so I don’t forget. Now just need to use it.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-11-2021 at 06:11 AM.

30. Likes Pat Landymore, Just 1 More liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for the tip about the Skullerz® 8950 Bump Cap Hat. I didn't know such a product existed, and with my MaxJax low rise lift and HF roller stool I desperately need this! My usual baseball cap prevents most scratches but not the repeated dents . This seriously will make working under the car a much less painful experience.

Also, I'm impressed with how much lower your PB Booster sits on the frame. The upper mounting bolts on mine (Coyote in a Gen 1 '33) are a good inch above the top square tube. Made for some interesting bracket fab...

Keith HR #894

32. Likes edwardb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Power Booster and Master Cylinder Installed

Today I finished installing the vacuum power booster the Wilwood dual master cylinder. I posted pictures previously of the unit hanging in the tentative position on the firewall. Now it’s firmly anchored. As usual, more work than expected. But no surprise. Working and fabricating with steel is significantly more time consuming than aluminum. At least with the tools I have.

After finalizing the location, cut the hole in the frame as I mentioned last time. I bought a 12" x 12" x 0.1340" piece of steel sheet from McMaster. Nothing like that in any of the box stores. I had determined that .125 (1/8”) would be fine. But for whatever reason the exact material in 0.1340 was much cheaper. And since this is a budget build (!!!) went for it. Cut a roughly 6” square piece for the firewall mount and cut the frame so it’s sits flush. If I welded, I would have welded in. But I don’t. Taking the frame to a welder or having one come to my garage I decided wasn’t necessary. I bolted in place with six grade 8 5/16” flat head screws, hardened washers, and distorted thread locknuts. The 1/8” aluminum firewall will be bonded and riveted over the whole thing and add another layer of strength. I’m confident it’s not going anywhere. Here is the plate installed and then the power brake assembly mounted.

Then onto the inside. I made two right angle brackets out of the same 0.1340" steel sheet that bolt to the shelf where the Wilwood pedal box would normally go. These also could have been welded. But are bolted in place with seven grade 8 5/16” rounded head screws, hardened washers, and distorted thread locknuts. Rock solid. I determined the height and location previously with quick mock-up pieces out of .040” aluminum. Then committed to the sheet steel and installed. Both the firewall plate and the angle brackets are now permanently mounted. I have no intention of removing them. They'll stay in place when I send the chassis out for powder coat.

The brake pedal itself and orientation is still a work in progress. The pieces I have can be installed several different ways. I’ve started work on the bracket to hold the LS drive-by-wire module (accelerator pedal) and will work those two things together to finalize the locations. Also seen in this picture is where I propped the steering shaft into it's intended location. Also that I moved the Ididit steering column mounting arm to the outside of the LH mount. Both necessary to finalize the proper location of the brake arm and in turn the booster/master cylinder. Everything gets pretty close in there.

With the booster mounted, brake arm swinging, clevis in place and adjusted, and getting the Wilwood specified 1.1” of pushrod travel, time to mount the master cylinder. I bought the master cylinder, booster, and pedal arm as a unit from the same company. Talked about that in a number of posts. Thought I'd use at least part of the included frame mount, but didn't. You’d think the pushrod between the booster and the Wilwood MC would be adjusted, right? Nope. I didn’t have a way to exactly measure, but with the adjuster on the booster pushrod all the way in, it was still too long for the Wilwood MC with the power brake slug installed in the piston. Not a lot, but not acceptable. There is supposed to be .020” of slack when together. After some Googling and YouTube viewing, repeatedly saw a tool that is used to measure and set the pushrod clearance. Not expensive at $25 or so. But then waiting begins again. Ran across a video where a guy made his own out of a piece of wood and a metal dowel. Inspired me to hit the shop and an hour later had my own out of 1/8” aluminum, a cut-off bolt, some tie wraps, and some instant glue. A little cheesy. But hey. Price was right and instant gratification. It’s not super critical except that the two ends need to be exactly parallel and the measuring rod the exact same length. Then, insert one end into the cup in the MC pushrod, make sure it’s seated, then measure the other side with a feeler gauge on the booster pushrod. Worked like a charm. I ground about 1/16” off the end of the slug in the MC piston, rounded it by spinning and filing in my drill press, then measured and set the booster pushrod. Harder to explain that actually doing. The MC is bolted in place and hopefully will stay there.

Next up is to finalize the DBW module as mentioned. I’ve got the last pieces for my dash so finalizing the layout. I'll show that soon. Then start mounting stuff behind the dash. As Mike Peaty says "Back to work!" If you haven't seen his aviation build videos, you're missing out. Check them on YouTube. Highly entertaining. Another person with mad skills. And clearly an unlimited budget.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-18-2021 at 05:44 AM.

34. Likes Pat Landymore, P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some really nice work and even better documentation of it!!
    Thank you 😊

36. Likes edwardb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    ...As Mike Peaty says "Back to work!" If you haven't seen his aviation build videos, you're missing out. Check them on YouTube. Highly entertaining. Another person with mad skills. And clearly an unlimited budget.
    Couldn't agree with you more! Can't wait to see the wings go together on Scrappy. In addition to his budget, I also I wish I had his kind of energy.
    Gen 3 Coupe #268 build: Project Lighting Coyote