Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Jazzman’s #8745 "Flip Top" Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wiring - Part 2

I mounted the PCM (Power Control Module) in a different place than FFR for a couple of reasons. First, with the flip top, I create additional useable space at the front corners of the engine compartment, and second, I really didn't like it being right in the main view when you open the hood. It just didn't look good. So I chose to put it on the inside of the PS "F" panel.

The Ford Coyote wiring harness has ample wire to reach this location with the primary cable, so I think this will look a bit better. I attached it at the top temporarily with two bolts, but I am going to go buy some nicer button head bolts just because it will look better. I also did not have a bolt the right size for the lower attachment point. Because of the bend in the "F" Panel, I will have to put in a 1/4" spacer between the panel and the back of the PCM.

I turned my attention back to Takeout BB, the one that has the wires for the Alternator, the MAF sensor, and the Intercooler Pump connector. It is this last one, the Intercooler, that is going to be unnecessary to me. It is only needed if you are going to add a Supercharger, and I am not go to do this.

Since I already had opened up the entire Takeout BB line, it was easy to strip back the black and red wires that go to the Intercooler all the way back to the point where Takeout BB separates from the main harness set just inside the access hole through the PS of the Firewall. After carefully following the wires three times to be sure I did not cut out the wrong ones, I clipped these two wires, leaving just enough to seal the ends up.

I curled over the end of each wire, and then put a piece of heat shrink tubing over it to seal that wire. Then I but both wires together with yet one more piece of heat shrink tape to completely seal it off, and clearly mark the pair just in case they are needed in the future.

The process of eliminating the wires for the intercooler removed at least nine feet of wire from behind the firewall.
    Last edited by Jazzman; 10-14-2016 at 01:43 AM.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan