Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  38

Thread: EdwardBs Mk4 #8674 20th Anniversary Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
    Paul I bought a large piece of aluminum angle that I plan to use to make a bracket to mount my triple reservoir, similar to what you did. How high can I mount the reservoirs and still clear the body and hood? Should the top of the caps be even with the top of the frame rail there, or can they go up a bit higher? What's your advice? Also, should I get it as close to the front of the DS foot box as possible?
    This picture was actually early in my build and I later lowered the reservoirs from what is pictured here. These cleared, but basically with zero clearance to the hood. No reason to cut it that close. The final dimension is the top of the reservoir body 1/2-inch below the top of the 3/4-inch rails. Or said another way, the top of the caps 1/4-inch above the top of the rail. That provides adequate clearance.

For the front to back, you need to be inside 11 inches from the front of the footbox to the outside of the front reservoir. That will prevent interference with the hood gas strut. As pictured here, they're 9-1/4 inches. So pretty close to the footbox as you mentioned. For a Coyote build, the hood gas strut isn't the first point of interference. Further forward the reservoirs could interfere with the PCV connection (in the picture) and even the coil covers. I'd recommend the 9-1/4 location (or closer if you like) with a Coyote.

Cool this build thread is still getting traffic and questions. It's now in it's second driving season, and after a slow start this year with a winter that wouldn't die, finally getting out in earnest. Had an awesome cruise today on a beautiful sunny 72 degree Michigan day. Turned 2,000 miles in the process. Every time I drive it I'm so impressed. What a machine this thing is.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-23-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.