Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Taurus Light Switch

Post Thanks / Like

Taurus Light Switch

A few years back I tore a bunch of stuff out of an '86 Taurus before it was scrapped. Went down last night to see what electrical parts there were. Found this light switch which I think will work great for the cobra. The wiring swap will be simple as the pins are identical so you can just use a small screw driver to pop them out of the two connectors. A simple push will insert the Mustang pins into the Taurus connector. Most of the wires are even the same colour code. It's is a rotary switch with 2 positions (park and lights). The knob in the last picture is from a '97 Cavalier heater control unit (consider it a Chevy tribute to Randy J). So that the knob points up when off and to the right when on, it will be mounted upside down. It will have to be mounted back a bit in the dash but that should be easy to do. I'll post showing the wiring pin outs once I have confirmed them. Any comments?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I came up with. The LB/R and BK wires from the Mustang switch are for it's internal light and are not used on the Taurus switch which does not have an internal light. So just 4 wires to swap over which only took a couple of minutes (no cutting required). Both diagrams are looking at the connector from the switch side (same convention as the Haynes manual diagrams).

Note that I am not sure if the Taurus switch ran the headlights directly or if it used a relay. As such, I do not know if it can take the load of running them directly which is how the Mustang is wired. I planned to use a relay in the headlight circuit and drive it from the switch anyway so I will still go with that plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a generic diagram:

The upper Batt+ feeds the headlights (16 gauge fuselink) and the lower Batt+ feeds the park, instrument & license plate lights from a 10 Amp fused circuit that is a branch from the upper Batt+ feed.

I eventually made a custom billet knurled knob for it.