Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: David and Izzy's MK4 #9138 Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

David and Izzy's MK4 #9138 Build Thread

Hi all,

I have finally gotten around to starting this build thread despite taking delivery 2 months ago! I’m building it with my dad (Izzy) and I’m sure my son (who is 4 years old) will enjoy getting his hands dirty once he grows up a bit. We’ve always been into cars and even owned a 1966 Mustang GT convertible when I was in high school. I am very lucky to live less than a mile from my dad and we’ve done many father-son projects over the years. Up until now, these have mostly been related to woodworking and we’ve built many pieces of furniture for his house and mine. He is the one with a woodshop and the MK4 will be built at my house in the middle bay of a 3 car garage. Despite feeling comfortable working with wood, we are newbies when it comes to working on cars. Our experience is limited to fluid changes and the occasional brake job. But we work well together (he is able to calm me down when frustration leads to me to want to throw things) and are eager to learn. We already went to the Build School in August and at that time made a pilgrimage to meet Paul (Edwardb) and see his magnificent 20th Anniversary build. What a thrill that was! I’ve been reading the forum for many months and am in awe of the knowledge and generosity of the members and look forward to becoming part of the community!

Here is our build plan:
    We are going for a street cruiser that I can occasionally take for auto-cross events. The color will be the classic dark blue with white stripes.

MK4 Complete Kit
    427w (not yet decided on where to get it)
    EFI
    TKO 600
    IRS
    Wilwood Brakes (red)
    4 port headers with stainless side pipes
    Kirky High-Back seats
    Dual chrome roll bars
    Halibrand Wheels 17x9 and 17x10.5
    Heater
    Front/Rear sway bars

Planned modifications include:

Breeze - Power Steering rack and offset mounting kit, front battery kit, radiator shroud and support kit, side view mirrors
    Forte – hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage
    FFmetal – forward firewall and transmission tunnel top
    Russ Thompson – turn signal and throttle pedal

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions. We need all the help we can get!

-David and Izzy
    Last edited by dncharo; 11-08-2017 at 12:08 AM.
    MK4 Roadster #9138
    Blueprint 427 with Sniper EFI, TKO600, IRS, complete kit
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...8-Build-Thread