Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Jazzman’s #8745 "Flip Top" Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    Hi Jazzman, I have a scary observation about your flywheel. I'm not a coyote guy, but playing with small block Fords and Chevys, big and small, flywheel bolt torques are in the 70-80 ft pound range. Attached is a picture from ford racing (hopefully lol) which shows 177 inch pounds to be correct. I worked for one of those German luxury car line for over 20 years and they use a LOT of angle torqueing. The extra 60 degrees can be quite significant depending on thread pitch. I hope you didn't just torque them to 18 ft pounds. Maybe I'm wrong, someone please chime in with real coyote knowledge. To me 18 ft pounds on a flywheel is a little scary.
    I agree completely with Kurt's comments. Meant to say something before but have been very busy... 18 ft/lbs for flywheel bolts is way too light. I had the flywheel off on my Coyote build also to install the QuickTime block plate, and I did actually also use a billet flywheel, but just a personal choice. By all accounts the nodular flywheel that came with the engine is fine. I used new flywheel bolts when putting it back together, but that's an old habit and in hindsight probably not necessary. Fortunately, they weren't expensive. But I too encountered the torque to angle setting, and followed it. I agree they probably were in the 70-80 ft/lbs range when done. It was tight enough I had to take measures to keep the engine from turning over while tightening.

Why not just use a straight ft/lbs number for the torque? Torque to angle is something many manufacturers use. It eliminates a number of things that can cause a traditional torque value to widely vary, including the type of fastener, materials used for both the bolt and the part it screws in to, cleanliness of the thread, if lubrication is used, type of lubrication used, etc. If you haven't gotten there yet, you'll find torque to angle also on the rear IRS axle bolts. Torque to angle is also typically used for stretch bolts (also known as torque-to-yield bolts) where the proper tightness is especially critical, although these clutch bolts are not stretch bolts.

I see from your pictures you went with the QuickTime 6081 SFI bell housing. Hopefully you're prepared for how much that's going to be below your 4-inch chassis tubes. You can see it already with the amount it's below your Moroso oil pan. That flat oil pan surface will be just even with the 4-inch chassis tubes.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-29-2016 at 05:14 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.