Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  38

Thread: EdwardBs Mk4 #8674 20th Anniversary Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dougski View Post
    Paul,
    Several posts ago you were discussing how you replaced the fuel pump hanger with the Pro-M product. I am doing the same install and am currently trying to adapt the large gauge wires that come with the hanger to the smaller gauge wires that come from the Aeromotive fuel pump 2-pin connector. I contacted Pro-M and they said to cut the ends off their wires and solder to the connector that comes with the pump. They also went into some detail about using heat shrink tubing that is resistant to fuel and if unsure to soak the tubing overnight and check the next day. Just wanted to be sure the West Marine reducing splices that you used are fuel resistant. Thanks for the great build! I have gotten many ideas and improvements from reading. Doug
    Thanks. Glad you've gotten something out of my build thread. Regarding the connectors for the fuel pump, I spent quite a while looking at options. The West Marine part #320303 step-down butt connector was the best thing I could come up with, and fortunately my (sort of...) local store had some in stock. To be completely honest, I didn't soak it overnight as they suggested. The material looked very similar to the shrink sleeving that was already used on my pump, which wasn't adhesive lined as best I could tell. I've found the West Marine stuff, since intended for marine use, is typically very robust. So I went ahead and used it without any further testing. Hopefully I won't regret that. I'm not afraid to solder, and did a bunch of it on my build, but this connector crimped on very solidly plus the shrink pulled in tight on both wires. FWIW, here a picture of the package and the leftover connector. The marking on the package is a little misleading. It says 16-14 AWG. But the part number description on-line, and the guy at the store also confirmed in their catalog, is actually AWG 12-10 to (1) 8 or (2) 12-10, which fit my wire combination perfectly.

This question has piqued my interest though. I'm going to drop the extra connector I have into a jar of gasoline and see what it looks like tomorrow. I'll report back.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-22-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.