Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Jazzman’s #8745 "Flip Top" Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress. You're getting there! I recall from earlier in your build thread that you're using the Breeze 1-3/4 inch roll bars, right? Russ Thompson is the only source I know of for roll bar trim rings specifically made for that size. Is that what you have? I use his on #7750, and the gaskets he provided fit OK. I've found putting a small notch in the top of the license plate is required even with the mod. It's completely hidden when the plate is installed, so I can't imagine your local LE would have an issue with that. With the mod and the notch at the top, I haven't found it necessary to notch the bottom of the license plate around the trunk handle. Just fits. As 2bking said, put some anti-seize on those spinners, as a minimum. Unfortunately, they sometimes still get jammed up on the adapters. Some guys glue in the adapters (silicone, etc.) or resort to more positive measures like set screws through the wheels. That's what I've done. The set screw in the spinner is only intended to keep the spinner from coming off. If installed the right direction it's pretty unlikely they'll come off if properly tightened. The right hand thread goes on the left side of the car, and the left hand thread goes on the right side of the car. When you go to tighten the spinner, the top should turn towards the back of the car (drivers side clockwise, passenger side counter clockwise). I leave the spinner set screw in, but tighten in very lightly. Not enough to damage the threads. It could just as easily be left out as some recommend.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-19-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.